Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you lived up to your potential?

@151949 wrote:

I'm sorry that I was never able to have a child but it wasn't due to anything I could have done anything about. Career wise I definitely achieved my goals. I was a bedside nurse in critical care for 42 years, I never had any desire to grow into any management positions. I liked what I did and I liked that I felt confident I was very good at what I did. I got  accomodations from doctors I worked with, and always got good performance reviews. Sadly for the last 5 years of my career I had to switch to dialysis for health reasons and I hated every min. of it.

@151949I have always had so much respect for nurses!  You had a wonderful career and should definitely feel fulfilled!  I keep trying to steer my grandchildren into becoming nurses but so far no luck!!  God bless you!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Newgate wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm sorry that I was never able to have a child but it wasn't due to anything I could have done anything about. Career wise I definitely achieved my goals. I was a bedside nurse in critical care for 42 years, I never had any desire to grow into any management positions. I liked what I did and I liked that I felt confident I was very good at what I did. I got  accomodations from doctors I worked with, and always got good performance reviews. Sadly for the last 5 years of my career I had to switch to dialysis for health reasons and I hated every min. of it.

@151949I have always had so much respect for nurses!  You had a wonderful career and should definitely feel fulfilled!  I keep trying to steer my grandchildren into becoming nurses but so far no luck!!  God bless you!!Woman Happy

Honestly, I would not ever steer anyone toward nursing as a career.It takes a terrible toll on ones personal life. If I were to give someone advice I would suggest something like a speech, physical or occupational therapist. Or a dietician.A job where you can get the satisfaction of helping people but not have to give up so much of your own personal life. however, I appreciate what you said.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is a question introduced in our country years ago by advertising companies that need people to specifically address this highly subjective question by purchasing something - books, education, make up, etc. 

If we just get up each morning and try our best we can that day, it is enough. When you are dying you will not care if you lived up to your potential. A long time ago people never even considered this and many now do not as they are too busy living, working, and caring for others. It is a personal and societal pressure that does no good for anyone. It seems to breed arrogance, dissatisfaction, and insecurity. 

We (as in the people of our country) should do something nice for someone else and forego the personal navel gazing. JMHO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jewel3 wrote:

I think this is a question introduced in our country years ago by advertising companies that need people to specifically address this highly subjective question by purchasing something - books, education, make up, etc. 

Amen to this! It's like the "just do it" ad campaign. Just buy our shoes and you'll magically meet every fitness goal.....heck, why not every personal goal in your life!

Now if only that Spin Mop really did transform one's life! 😅

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@jewel3 wrote:

Amen to this! It's like the "just do it" ad campaign. Just buy our shoes and you'll magically meet every fitness goal.....heck, why not every personal goal in your life!

If you have actually read peoples' posts, you'll find that they pretty much answered with fairly laid-back responses about their life journeys. No one's been overly angsty or obsessive in their responses. And I doubt the purpose of the thread was to make people doubt themselves or feel bad about themselves - which most people understood.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@jewel3 wrote:

Seriously?  If you read the posts here, you will see that no one has bought into that.  It's about personal fulfillment, whatever that may mean to anyone, not what any advertising guru has to say.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Career wise I did live up to my potential. Nursing was satisfying for me and I felt I made a significant contribution.
Two things that I would have liked are a few more children - I have 3, but DH was not comfortable with more.
The other would have been to live in a large motor home for a few years and travel around USA. DH did not agree. These are not complaints; life has been good.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@jewel3 wrote:

Seriously?  If you read the posts here, you will see that no one has bought into that.  It's about personal fulfillment, whatever that may mean to anyone, not what any advertising guru has to say.

@GingerPeach

I'm with you, I don't see the connection at all.  Your question had nothing to do with a magic fix or any particular goal.

In fact, achieving potential is different for everyone. For me, one goal was to have a child and have both of us come through it alive.  The odds were not good but we made it, and you, my friend, know how much that means to me.  Nobody sold me a bill of goods for that.  There are plenty of others who would never see that as a goal, they have other things in mind, and that's just fine.

Honored Contributor

I find the very idea of OP's question extremely strange. Life is not a game where one achieves a score and can be judged by it. I'm not sure where the idea originated but I don't think it is helpful.

Live your life. 

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:
Career wise I did live up to my potential. Nursing was satisfying for me and I felt I made a significant contribution.
Two things that I would have liked are a few more children - I have 3, but DH was not comfortable with more.
The other would have been to live in a large motor home for a few years and travel around USA. DH did not agree. These are not complaints; life has been good.

@gmkb

Nurses, I am your biggest fan Heart