Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you lived up to your potential?

To me your work is one thing, your job is another. 

I did my job - throughout my life I will do my work.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I don't think I've lived up to my potential, but I haven't done anything about it.  I don't plan to do anything with my work life but may with my personal life. 

This would be me. I don't think I lived up to my potential career-wise, and my later working years, at a job which beat me down emotionally, changed me emotionally as well from the person I used to be - not in a good way.

I didn't do anything about the former because it was mostly due to lack of emotional support growing up and throughout my life. I had to go it alone and I was more concerned with supporting myself than life options.

In retirement, I hope to eventually do some volunteering and get some of the "old me" back.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I never felt the need to set goals.  The only real goal was to be a good person who treated others well and always be independent and earn my own way in life. Maybe some would say I did not live up to my potential but I've had a very satisfying, fun and happy life enjoying one day at a time without the pressure of feeling I had to be more.  Too many of my friends worked hard to achieve goals and became obsessed with achievements in their careers and missed out on many real life experiences they thought were frivilous.  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have lived up to my potential. I have taught school for 30 years, and I am returning in the fall for year 31.  Many of my students have gone on to have successful careers and lives. They have returned to thank me in person or by notes or emails. I have written curriculum, taught other teachers, and learned a lot about myself and my capabilities. 

My other love is singing. I have sung at church since I was a child. I have entertained crowds with my voice at various events around my city. I have volunteered at various charity events and generously helped others whenever I could. 

The fact that I have done all of this while dealing with many chronic and serious health issues of my own is amazing to me sometimes. I have always had the support of family and friends. I am not perfect in any way, but I am proud of what I have accomplished in my 50+ years. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I love what you said!  You pretty much wrote exactly how I feel!!!

I don't feel I have lived up to my potental at all.  In some ways, I do have regrets, yes.  But I am not sitting around crying about my life and where I am now.  I am not blaming anyone.  I have made some poor choices and at other times I did not push myself where should have gone or maybe I could have gone.  I think as I look back, I probably made the best choices for what was happening at the time.  If things were different. I do feel I could have accomplished so much more, and that there is so much more in me that remains untapped.  

But, yes -- all that aside --- I do feel when you reach a certain point in your life -- and often when you are reaching an advanced age and there are health and financial factors, etc., that it is more important to be happy with, as you say "what exists now."  To find happiness and contentment in what you are and where you are now.  And not dwell on "what ifs."  And feeling this way "is not a poor choice, after all!"  

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have lived up to my potential. I think now in my 60's that I was put on this earth for a reason and accomplished what I was supposed to. Life has been an adventure with highs and lows but I have loved my life and tried to live in the moment and treasure my friends and family. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jobwise, I did well.  I took commercial courses in high school thinking I would only work for a few years and then get married and have children.  I always wanted to be a mom.  I graduated in 1956, got a job immediately as a secretary in a law firm.  I married in 1961 and took eight years off to have four babies in four and a half years and then be a mom forever.  Didn't work out that way.  We divorced.

After a short second marriage (no children) I became a full time single working mother.  Started out in a law firm again and after a few other ordinary jobs, got a job in a CPA firm in 1980 and became the manager of the computer department there for 24 years.  I taught myself from scratch and was quite the "techie" for those years and I enjoyed it.  That ended in 2004 when I retired at the age of 66.

As far as family, I did the best I could having had to work while my girls were still very young children.  I had several nannies.  I lucked out with my girls, they were very good children, normal teenagers, who all did very well in school.

Three went to college, three graduated magna ****** laude.  They all graduated with BS degrees in fields they never wound up working in.  Two majored in Accounting, and one is in real estate management; one is a medical IT working for a hospital conglomerate, seven right now and more coming.  My youngest took Fine Arts and has wound up in graphic arts and website creation.  She has just been promoted to Manager.  She also freelances.

My second oldest and I live together and she cannot work anymore (she had worked as a hairdresser).  She and I both have chronic illnesses.

I would call it a "mixed bag."  We've all had successes and losses.  At my Medicare Well Check a week ago, the nurse practitioner tested my brain function mostly (I tested fine).  One of the questions she asked was "Are you envious of others' lives?"  My response was "No, actually I consider myself very lucky."  I think I surprised her with that answer as she could easily see that both of us were disabled (although my daughter did not participate, she was there).  

I guess the OP's question depends a lot upon what one expects.  I came from a poor family, so I did not expect much, although I feel I was blessed very much when I had my children.  I worked hard and tried to be a good person.

However, I do mourn my losses.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Probably not if you think in terms of making money.  I joke about being poor, but in fact, I feel blessed with what I have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I have no idea what my true potential is, I cannot say.  I did reach the goals I set.  I was a good daughter,  I am a loving sister, wife, mother,  grandmother and a loyal friend.  I also had a successful teaching career.

I should have taken better care of my own health.