Respected Contributor

Re: Have you lived up to your potential?

yes, and the journey still continues.

Honored Contributor

Brava, ladies - so many great, wise responses.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

• I agree, sometimes we don't know what our full potential might be.  And sometimes for some people it's getting through the day.
Respected Contributor

@JBKO

That changed outlook enables you to see possibilities.  The strength you achieved through soldiering through adversity will enable you to succeed at what You want in your life.

Forgot the author, but the quote is right on the money:  Success is 99% persistence and 1% luck.

We make our own luck by increasing the size and scope of our networks.  Work is only a fraction of your network.  This where most folks fail.  Is your ( each one of us ) net working. ????

Best wishes, one and all.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Jlkz that was so nice to read after a long day at work. Thank you!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Super Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I love what many of you are saying about broader meanings of potential, and about helping others, and the like.  This quote by Robert Louis Stevenson is one of my favorites along these lines:

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. - Robert Louis Stevenson

I love that.

Great thread @GingerPeach and I see nothing wrong with the way you started it out.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Having had zero potential to begin with, yes, thank goodness I have outlived that many times over!  Now I hope to have no potential again so I can have some peace and quiet in my life! Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your kind words, @JDJ555

My suspicion is that some may have only read the title, and not much of the posts.  But that's OK.  It's very common to all boards and forums, I'm pretty sure.

Robert Louis Stevenson seemed to know what he was talking about!  Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

No, I don't think so.  Do any of us ever live up to our full potential????  Do we really know what our full potential is?  Don't you think most of us probably underestimate what our potential is or could be?  Like others say, I see goals and potential as two different things but, there again, how many of us reach all our goals?  Doesn't mean we can't reach for it or we should give up.  I think one should never stop trying.

Trusted Contributor

It's interesting to consider this question.  I feel as one poster wrote, the journey continues.  I know I feel I am still learning every day.

In general, I feel like I had a great career, I have a family I love, a husband I love, and a a few close friends and many, many other "friends".  I just feel really grateful.

I have reflected a little about what I might have done differently, or figuratively

"...the road not taken...", and I always end up feeling like gosh, life has been pretty nice, and I have been lucky. 

But I like the question.  It's always good to do a little introspection and reflection.