Respected Contributor

Re: Have you lived up to your potential?

I'm content with the goals I have met but, no, I haven't lived up to my potential.

Honored Contributor

no

Respected Contributor

still striving, still reaching -  and hope i continue to do so until i breathe my last..

Honored Contributor

I made it a point to get an education. It was really difficult to work full-time and go to school full-time.....not a lot of time for fun.....but I got my bachelor's degree. Then a few years later started on a master's .....so glad I did.  I had a great job, got married, had a child.   I believe I reached my potential. I am so glad I did all that in my twenties as I would certainly not have the energy now!  I can always go back to work in my field.....such freedom....I am truly blessed.  @GingerPeach - just follow your heart and get 'er done.....whatever you're searching for.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

This is one time that I did read all the preceding posts.  What a wonderful, many- faceted question " potential " !!!!

Growing up, I got very little attention so I read  a lot and observed very carefully anyone who impressed me with their character.

After college I worked for a major corporation and continued with my Master's degree.  I jumped through all the requisite hoops for someone assessed as having  " high potential ".  I was promoted up to the parent company as was successful.  I left and became an entrepreneur who focused on corporate training programs and collaborated with another national company doing career counseling for those downsized.  I even was an adjunct professor at my alma mater ( leadership development and communication ).

By others' definition, I achieved my potential and was successful.  However, I define " potential " as fulfilling the purpose for which you were put on this earth.  It doesn't end with retirement:  it continues throughout your whole life's journey.

What is your purpose?  This seminar subject was probably the hardest work done by conferees, I.e., identifying it and condensing it to a few words.  My purpose remains: to help others achieve their potential. 

As @MaggieMack and @hopistated uplifting others in moments of discouragement, self-doubt or sorrow ( e.g., being downsized) is fulfilling.  

As @ECBG noted, the impact of helping others lasts a long time:  you may never know how deeply or how many folks you have touched with your kindness, insights, and support.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkzActually, it is a blessing to hear from SO many on facebook!  I'm still invited to student's of studen't childrens wedding!

Esteemed Contributor

No, I have not lived up to my full potential.....because I have a job and a boss.....because I need and enjoy money. That's the truth. Having a job requires that I forfeit a bit of my potential and, instead, please my bosses. Really.

Esteemed Contributor

You can have a lot of potential but someone else must recognize it and open that door.

I've posted here for 10+ years and so many people seem to have such incredible luck!

Makes me wonder what I've done wrong.

Honored Contributor

I love what many of you are saying about broader meanings of potential, and about helping others, and the like.  This quote by Robert Louis Stevenson is one of my favorites along these lines:

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. - Robert Louis Stevenson

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

No. I am actually quite unhappy about where I am in life. If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be at this point, I wouldn't have believed it. I spent far too much time sulking and being depressed but thank God I have changed my outlook. I've learned to persevere and never give up and it is actually quite nice knowing that I am prepared for whatever the future brings since I have had so much experience dealing with adversity.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.