Respected Contributor

Re: Have you lived up to your potential?

I have not realized my potential...There is no bigger handicap in life than a great potential.....

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Too often we equate reaching one's potential as something related to a profession or career.  Why not consider how to live up to your potential as person?  I had a wonderful and fulfilling career, but now I work towards being the best person I can be.

I certainly agree with this, @Jaspersmom.  And have no qualms about that part of life.   I have no qualms about the professional part of life either.  

It's not a black/white or either/or condition, actually.  Each affects the other.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't really think along those lines anymore. I did the best I could at the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach

Living up to your potential or living  with purpose - no one can know what their full potenial is but do the best you can is the way to go.

Be grateful to be alive and well.

Honored Contributor

I hope not.  I'd like to think that I have many things yet to accomplish before I take my last breath.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

I have not realized my potential...There is no bigger handicap in life than a great potential.....

Well said, @Mothertrucker 

But all of a sudden you've got me thinking:  "Handicap" as meaning a hurdle or impediment, or "handicap" as in golf where they add a few points to someone's score since they're so good already.  I know those are quite similar  but just enough different to cause me to ponder.

So, maybe "pondering" too much is a kind of handicap?  No, that's too early to call, perhaps.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

A qualified yes.  I achieved everything I wanted and more, including having a wonderful family.  I've had a full life and had incredible adventures.  Known and learned from internationally known mentors, but...

What used to be bouts of medical things I could handle as they came up turned out to be lupus and at one point I was stopped in my tracks.  So life is different now but I still have a wonderful family and loving friends.  I focus on continued learning and having fun.

Thank you to some wonderful people here who have contributed to life's enjoyment Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My goal was to work with teenagers who "needed someone".  Since my high school counselors only filled out college applications

(we didn't even know their names!  Not like today!),  I majored in an area that would let me work with my passion for color and let me be dealing with nurtureing and discussion within the frameworks of the area I was teaching.

Happily, I did find that area and it also included the chemistry that I did well in.  I had students at my door in the morning and afternoon  and when students were having hard times and in treatment situations, I was listed as a family member so I could keep up our relationship.

Former students came and brought me babies and gradeschool children which was wonderful!  

I stepped out after 36 (20,000!!! students) years because it looked like we might not get to keep our full time medical after we left.

Many students complained and parents called but I had to go.

Respected Contributor

For many years I was one of the top paid legal secretaries in San Diego - starting out at a small law firm in a smaller town years earlier working for $2.50/hr., but what I learned from the attorney I worked for was priceless.  He taught me everything and that's why I did so well in later years.  I think I reached my potential. I always felt my work was one of my greater accomplishments, unlike my personal relationships, which were a total failure. 

Honored Contributor

Apparently not.    My mother's greatest "dream" was for me to become a dental assistant.     I never heard the end of her complaining how I failed by not becoming one.   Instead, I worked in legal, accounting, and politics.    Later in life, I worked nights in a resort front office so I could be home during the day to cater to my mother's needs.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥