Honored Contributor

Have you lived up to your potential?

I've read here where some of you, whether retired or still in the working world, have shared your backgrounds in education and in your professional and volunteer fields.  So many of you seem to have accomplished what you set out to have your lives become.

I feel that I have a lot of potential left.  I'm not saying I'm unhappy, just that there could be more.

I'll figure it out, I know.  I'm not writing this because I want anyone to feel sorry for me.

It got me to wondering whether others have felt like this and what you did about it, if anything, or how important it was to do something or was it more important to be content with what exists now.  The latter is not a poor choice, after all!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you lived up to your potential?

I don't think I've lived up to my potential, but I haven't done anything about it.  I don't plan to do anything with my work life but may with my personal life. 

Honored Contributor

On a late Friday afternoon this question is too deep for me to ponder😳

I probably won't tackle it on Monday morning either😊

Good luck on your quest, @GingerPeach.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been retired since 2008 but feel very satisfied that I had an excellent career. I worked for my alma mater, helping students who were in academic difficulty. My husband said I saved souls. In many ways I think he was right. I feel blessed that I helped so many young people. I'm still in touch with some of them. I am blessed to have had such a rewarding career.

Honored Contributor

I actually did accomplish my number one goal in life. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

difficult topic.  i had more than one area of potential and don't feel i did my best.

Trusted Contributor

Too often we equate reaching one's potential as something related to a profession or career.  Why not consider how to live up to your potential as person?  I had a wonderful and fulfilling career, but now I work towards being the best person I can be.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry that I was never able to have a child but it wasn't due to anything I could have done anything about. Career wise I definitely achieved my goals. I was a bedside nurse in critical care for 42 years, I never had any desire to grow into any management positions. I liked what I did and I liked that I felt confident I was very good at what I did. I got  accomodations from doctors I worked with, and always got good performance reviews. Sadly for the last 5 years of my career I had to switch to dialysis for health reasons and I hated every min. of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach@jaxs mom@Vivian@tansy@GCR18

What an interesting post @GingerPeach and thoughts to ponder.

My response would need to be considered a little longer before it would be thorough, but two items come to mind:

1) When a very good friend and I used to walk every single day, I asked her if she felt she would leave "something" of value behind in this world. She responded that she thought my thinking was "morbid." (!) I don't -- I think it's normal.

2) Well, just start thinking about serious stuff and you will get your "wish" if your life was anything like mine! HAHA I was forced by life circumstances to get a job -- and teaching was it! With this career I got my wish! 

Being a part of my students' lives gave me a feeling of fulfillment.

Relationships with our child and my DH are fulfilling. But teaching was something outside my inner circle.  It is difficult to explain; not every career provides a sense of this.

I will come back later and explain about my retirement potential!❤️❤️❤️❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I don't know.  I've always had to work because I was a single Mom.  I always had good jobs but I never really thought about my potential, I just needed a paycheck.  But, that was a long time ago.

Thinking back about it now I somewhat reached my potential.  I never had any great desire to do one thing.  I'm content with the way my life has developed.