Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you heard of frying of the back nerves?

Reba055 - thanks for the name of it. I didn't know that.  Yes, I know the nerves grow back.  My neighbor had it done 3 times. The first time it lasted 10 years, the second only months, and recently he had it done again. No pain at all there!  For him it worked fast!  Seems like Darla will have to suffer longer.

@Reba055 wrote:

Yes, it works extremely well for some, not so much for others. The nerves will grow back so it's not a one and done thing. It's called radio frequency ablation. Hope she does well!!

Honored Contributor

Frying????  I think you misheard, you must be referring to rhizotomy.  It's a procedure that destroys the nerve roots in the spinal cord, it gives long term and sometimes permanent relief of chronic pack pain.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Thanks @Reba055;  I've had that and it didn't do a thing for me.  I thought maybe they'd come up with something new.  Always looking for relief.  Never heard it called "frying". 

Kachina624 - I'm so sorry you didn't get relief!  Darla had 2 epidurals that didn't work at all, With this, she had 2 pre ones to see if it would take, and it seemed to, so they did it.  When my neighbor had it done and it worked right away with no pain, he called it frying the nerves. That's how I learned about it.  I do hope and pray you will find relief. 

Back pain is awful, I had plenty of that too when I fell and broke my back but it's all okay now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Thats a rhizotomy. They say burn but its more like nuking them with the little probes they put in to do it. I had that done several times. It only worked for me for 2 or 3 months maybe? I also got epidurals for years (they worked the best as in they used to last for multiple months now they dont). Now I get facet joint injections (Im going May 8th, 6 needles in my back cold turkey as in I am awake). Theyve been helping me for months (knock on wood) but when they wear off I get more. I hope and pray your daugher finds relief. Back pain is horrible!. I live with it for 15 years since I had spine surgery on my neck, my lower back is terrible. My pain Dr has been a God send. If it wasnt for him, I wouldnt be walking as I have damage on every level of L spine. Please keep us posted how she is.

Hi Shorty - Sorry this didn't work for you either - my neighbor has relief right away from them.  Darla, my daughter, had 2 epidurals - nothing happened there. She's had this pain for 13 years after a car accident.

She is the mother of 9 mo. old twins and needs to be feeling good to take care of them. She is also a professor at our college here. I will pray for you for relief too.  I will keep you all informed how she does.

Respected Contributor

Rhizotomy is a surgical procedure where the nerve is severed. Radio frequency ablation just basically burns the nerves but they will regenerate and grow back eventually. 

Valued Contributor

@gloriajeanI am sending prayers for your family as you gather close together to care for each other as you make your way to the light on the other side.

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Thanks @Reba055;  I've had that and it didn't do a thing for me.  I thought maybe they'd come up with something new.  Always looking for relief.  Never heard it called "frying". 

Kachina624 - I'm so sorry you didn't get relief!  Darla had 2 epidurals that didn't work at all, With this, she had 2 pre ones to see if it would take, and it seemed to, so they did it.  When my neighbor had it done and it worked right away with no pain, he called it frying the nerves. That's how I learned about it.  I do hope and pray you will find relief. 

Back pain is awful, I had plenty of that too when I fell and broke my back but it's all okay now.

@gloriajean  Thanks for your thoughts.  Yes, indeed back pain is a miserable curse.  I feel for a young person with children to care for who has it.  I've see an army of doctors, have tried everything they suggested and still no relief.  At least I don't hurt when I sit.   I actually had 4 or 5 sessions of "frying" several weeks apart but none worked. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean,  I'm so sorry your dear Darla is having so much pain.   I've had the radiofrequency ablation (RFA), also known as rhizotomy, two times over a long period of years.   It  can be highly beneficial, and I would do it again should it be needed and recommended.    In my case, both procedures were painless (done with mild sedation), quick, there were no adverse effects, and they did offer some long-term relief.   I hope this will be true for your daughter, too.    My prayers for healing and new, pain-free strength.   Take care.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Regular Contributor

I've said a prayer for her to get relief.  Unfortunatley. I'm considering this myself this year.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH has being doing this for quite some time. Some treatments are better than others and last a little longer than others.

I know people that have tried this therapy and it did not work at all. DH says it makes it more bearable to get through the day compared to not having the procedure done.