Valued Contributor

Re: Have you have had packages stolen from your porch?

I received my package all taped up and when I opened it my gold bracelet was not in there. It was just the box. That was a year ago and I still dont know what to think of that.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I never had a delivered package stolen from my porch, but someone stole a package I placed on the porch for UPS to pick up.

it was a huge box that contained a plastic shelf for my refrigerator.  The repair man ordered me a new veggie bin cover because mine was cracked while he was here to fix something else.  It was still under warranty, so no charge.  The wrong part was sent.

I called and the correct item was sent to me and I was supposed to send back the wrong item.

The parts dept told me to put the package on the porch for a UPS pick-up early in the morning of a certain date but I said I was uncomfortable doing that.  They insisted and  I put the package out at 9 am and went to take a shower.  When I was done, I checked and the package was gone.  I thought UPS picked it up.

Two nights later, UPS knocked on my door around 7 pm and said they were there to pick up a package.  I told them they already did.  Ut oh! They had no record of a pick-up.

The parts place accused me of keeping the shelf.  Thank goodness I kept the e-mail showing the wrong date and time they told me UPS was coming and they told me to just leave it out...the e-mail also showed where I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

The parts company  kept sending me e-mails threatening me and requesting that I pay for it.  Finally, they just left it go and didn't make me pay for it.  I wonder if the person who took it was happy with a plastic shelf in a 3'x3' box.  They sure caused me a lot of grief.

Respected Contributor

I have a secret hiding place for the UPS and USPS to put my packages. This works when you have the same people delivering year after year. And both have informed their subs to do the same.

We do live in the country which also helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I haven't, and I don't know anyone that has. I order online a lot, and everything has arrived, in a  good condition.  I am not always home ,when my packages are delivered, either.

I know it does happen to people. I just wonder how prevalent it really is?

I never have either.  I've lived in the city and the suburbs, in houses/apartments that were both secluded and in full view.  Nothing has ever been stolen.

Once I sent a package to a friend in a major city in California, and it was stolen from where it had been left, right in front of his house.  But other than that, I've never had an issue with packages being stolen, and I send and receive quite a few.

Trusted Contributor

No, I haven't but thought I did because UPS will send a text msg that they have delivered a package when in fact it was delivered by USPS.  When you are expecting a non surepost package the same day as sureposts and UPS takes the credit for all, it can get confusing. 

At 4:58PM I received a text msg from UPS that they had delivered a package at 12:50PM.  UPS had never been here and because I was expecting a package directly from them I called the vendor and told them my package must have been stolen due to being told it was delivered at 12:50PM.  The vendor looked up the tracking number and told me it was still out for delivery. I was stunned and then realized that a family member received a surepost at 12:50PM.  So why was UPS taking credit for the delivery?  It is not helpful.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't because my computer is in my living room - facing the front of my house. So I'm always looking out the window when I expect a delivery and I usually see UPS/FedEx. I'm on nextdoor dot com - and many people have posted about their packages being stolen. Some of them catch the perps on camera - but it's rare they get caught. Some arrive on a bicycle, skateboard or car.

A couple of weeks ago I was expecting a few large decals that I ordered from Walmart. I saw the mailman (thru my window) - put the rolled-up decals - in a cardboard casing - just stand it up, leaning against my front door. I opened my door and yelled at him - asking why he couldn't ring my doorbell - and he just looked at me. I know that it would have been gone in a New York Minute. The previous mailman was here for 14 yrs and he always rang my doorbell and waited for me - as he knew I was usually home. This mailman doesn't seem to care - and I don't give him a generous Christmas gift.

Esteemed Contributor

No

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@BalletBabe@Yup I have had those amazon pics but what if the parcel is stolen after the driver leaves or what if the driver himself removes it.....I don’t think the pic is worth much.

@dex  The only thing I could see that it would help is if they left it at the wrong house.   I have had UPS deliever to my neighbors, now if I had a picture of it, I would know that was not my door.  

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have never had a package stolen from my porch, but I've had my mail box blown up on the 4th of July.

@blackhole99  Oh my goodness!   What the heck is wrong with people today??

Honored Contributor

@cherry

No. I don’t have packages delivered to my doorstep.