Respected Contributor

Re: Have you had a hepatitis shot?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@cherry wrote:

My husband just got one,  the pharmacist commented on all of the outbreaks, she has seen lately. It does seem like it really had spiraled around me.

Have you have any outbreaks in your area?  

I need to get a shot for it too, but I, also needed a tetanus shot, so I got that instead. I will get the  hep shot a bit later

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you're smart to get the tetanus shot because it's a lot easier to get that than it is to get hepatitis. Please let us know the effects of the hepatitis shot; I do have one (unusual) form of hep. but I may need to get vaccinated against A, B, and C. (I'm glad you brought this up because it never occurred to me that I might need additional vaccinations against the other 3 forms).

I think these outbreaks are increasing because a lot of people are coming into the country who haven't been vaccinated and too many parents refuse to vaccinate their children. I think they're criminally stupid and their unvaccinated children shouldn't be allowed into the public school system; their chances of starting an epidemic are high.

If the choose not to vaccinate on "religious" grounds (where does it say in the Bible "thou shalt not vaccinate they children"?) then I guess they'll have to try private schools (who probably won't let them in) or start home-schooling their kids.

I learned the hard way. When my son was about 11 years old he came down with SHINGLES because he'd been playing with a kid who had chicken pox. Since our son had chicken pox when he was 14 months old (and this was before there was a chicken pox vaccine) we never considered the thought of a vaccination. It was hell; my poor little baby came down with roseola (a not uncommon occurance among people who've had chicken pox) and ran a temperature of 106 degrees (at 2:00 am when my DH was out of town and I was so rattled I didn't think to give him a cool bath to get his temperature down.

My point: get every vaccination that's available to you and your children and of course consults with your doctor.

@FuzzyFace, I hope that our resident expert @pitdakota will weigh in here.

My understanding is that shingle is in no way contagious. You cannot get shingles from someone who has chicken pox. If you have never had chicken pox, though, you can conceivably contract it from close contact with a shingles patient, although not a very common occurrence.

Those who get shingles have had the chickenpox virus, which lies dormant in their system and can become active as shingles --  mostly, but not always, later in life.

Maybe your son's roseola (most often a disease that hits younger children), was mistaken for shingles.

Hi @suzyQ3!  Well, it is true that someone that has had chickenpox cannot contract shingles from someone else that has shingles. Shingles is not contagious from person to person.  However, an individual that has not had chickenpox can contract chickenpox from someone with shingles if they come into contact with any of the "weeping" from the affected areas.  

@It is a little unclear to me from @FuzzyFace's post if her child contract chickenpox or shingles.  And roseola itself does itself cause a rash along with a pretty high temperature. So hard to tell.

Hope you are doing well, @suzyQ3

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@maestra wrote:

both Hep A and Hep B. and Shingles; also Tetanus.

A Hardees restaurant in Charlotte, NC had a cook who had Hep. A and exposed thousands to this disease. Free vaccines are being offered to folks who dined at this restaurant between recent dates.

I took the vaccines a few years ago as a prophylactic measure.

So how did he pass this on?  I thought we were told it could only be through fecal matter.  Did he not wash his hands - or is this more contagious than we were led to believe?

@Isobel Archer, bingo. Or at least not adequately.

So this person was a cook - and potentially infected thousands of people - 1400 got shots and many more apparently may not even know they were at risk.

So was he fired I wonder.  I mean this is pretty serious - and for a cook not to be washing his hands appropriately - OMG.

@Isobel Archer, I doubt there is any liability unless they could prove it was intentional.

A good friend of mine contracted Hep A, probably from a restaurant. I took both her children to get gamma globulin shots that supposedly would help them avoid it. But the next her son came down with it.

I can attest to my friend's good hygiene, but, yes, he must have gotten from her.

Something is not right here.  If you can ONLY get it from fecal matter, than whether he deliberately refused to wash his hands would make no difference as to his getting fired.  It's clearly a requirement of his job to wash his hands properly in order to not contaminate the food - whether with Hep A or other things.

And if your friend's son got it from her - and she has good hygiene, then he couldn't have gotten it from fecal matter - so it seems Hep A is much more contagious than we have been told.

Honored Contributor

You can't "catch" shingles from someone. They come from a virus already in your body. When you get chicken pox the virus runs it's course and you develop an immunity to it. The virus, however, does not disappear. It lives on in your body on your nerves.As you grow older, and your immunity lessens sometimes the virus represents itself as shingles.So you don't catch shingles - you get shingles from a virus already in you.

Occasionally, someone who has never had chicken pox can catch chicken pox from a person who has shingles.But you can not catch shingles from anyone.

I don't know what your son had it would be extremely unusual for a young child to get shingles, as this normally happens in older people whose immune system is weakening with age.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know there was a vaccine for hep C.  No, I haven't  had the vaccine and I won't unless my physician thinks I should, I'm not in that risk factor group so she never brought it up.  If I thought there as a possiblity of hep C, I'd get tested.  There's a cure for that now. I don't know anyone who has had any type of hep, not even hep C which they say some baby boomers were exposed too.  

Honored Contributor

Just eating out can be risky..I don't know what I will do, I got so sick from the DPT shot

Honored Contributor

@cherry

No, I haven’t had one and have no plans to get one. I haven’t heard of any outbreaks in this area but, if I did, it would not scare me into a shot.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@cherry wrote:

My husband just got one,  the pharmacist commented on all of the outbreaks, she has seen lately. It does seem like it really had spiraled around me.

Have you have any outbreaks in your area?  

I need to get a shot for it too, but I, also needed a tetanus shot, so I got that instead. I will get the  hep shot a bit later

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you're smart to get the tetanus shot because it's a lot easier to get that than it is to get hepatitis. Please let us know the effects of the hepatitis shot; I do have one (unusual) form of hep. but I may need to get vaccinated against A, B, and C. (I'm glad you brought this up because it never occurred to me that I might need additional vaccinations against the other 3 forms).

I think these outbreaks are increasing because a lot of people are coming into the country who haven't been vaccinated and too many parents refuse to vaccinate their children. I think they're criminally stupid and their unvaccinated children shouldn't be allowed into the public school system; their chances of starting an epidemic are high.

If the choose not to vaccinate on "religious" grounds (where does it say in the Bible "thou shalt not vaccinate they children"?) then I guess they'll have to try private schools (who probably won't let them in) or start home-schooling their kids.

I learned the hard way. When my son was about 11 years old he came down with SHINGLES because he'd been playing with a kid who had chicken pox. Since our son had chicken pox when he was 14 months old (and this was before there was a chicken pox vaccine) we never considered the thought of a vaccination. It was hell; my poor little baby came down with roseola (a not uncommon occurance among people who've had chicken pox) and ran a temperature of 106 degrees (at 2:00 am when my DH was out of town and I was so rattled I didn't think to give him a cool bath to get his temperature down.

My point: get every vaccination that's available to you and your children and of course consults with your doctor.

@FuzzyFace, I hope that our resident expert @pitdakota will weigh in here.

My understanding is that shingle is in no way contagious. You cannot get shingles from someone who has chicken pox. If you have never had chicken pox, though, you can conceivably contract it from close contact with a shingles patient, although not a very common occurrence.

Those who get shingles have had the chickenpox virus, which lies dormant in their system and can become active as shingles --  mostly, but not always, later in life.

Maybe your son's roseola (most often a disease that hits younger children), was mistaken for shingles.

Hi @suzyQ3!  Well, it is true that someone that has had chickenpox cannot contract shingles from someone else that has shingles. Shingles is not contagious from person to person.  However, an individual that has not had chickenpox can contract chickenpox from someone with shingles if they come into contact with any of the "weeping" from the affected areas.  

@It is a little unclear to me from @FuzzyFace's post if her child contract chickenpox or shingles.  And roseola itself does itself cause a rash along with a pretty high temperature. So hard to tell.

Hope you are doing well, @suzyQ3

Hi, @pitdakota, yes, I hope it was clear in my second paragraph that while shingles is not contagious, a person who has never had chickenpox could contract chickenpox from such close contact as you described.

Thanks so much for confirming, and I hope that you are doing well, too. I always love your fact-based posts. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@maestra wrote:

both Hep A and Hep B. and Shingles; also Tetanus.

A Hardees restaurant in Charlotte, NC had a cook who had Hep. A and exposed thousands to this disease. Free vaccines are being offered to folks who dined at this restaurant between recent dates.

I took the vaccines a few years ago as a prophylactic measure.

So how did he pass this on?  I thought we were told it could only be through fecal matter.  Did he not wash his hands - or is this more contagious than we were led to believe?

@Isobel Archer, bingo. Or at least not adequately.

So this person was a cook - and potentially infected thousands of people - 1400 got shots and many more apparently may not even know they were at risk.

So was he fired I wonder.  I mean this is pretty serious - and for a cook not to be washing his hands appropriately - OMG.

@Isobel Archer, I doubt there is any liability unless they could prove it was intentional.

A good friend of mine contracted Hep A, probably from a restaurant. I took both her children to get gamma globulin shots that supposedly would help them avoid it. But the next her son came down with it.

I can attest to my friend's good hygiene, but, yes, he must have gotten from her.

Something is not right here.  If you can ONLY get it from fecal matter, than whether he deliberately refused to wash his hands would make no difference as to his getting fired.  It's clearly a requirement of his job to wash his hands properly in order to not contaminate the food - whether with Hep A or other things.

And if your friend's son got it from her - and she has good hygiene, then he couldn't have gotten it from fecal matter - so it seems Hep A is much more contagious than we have been told.

@Isobel Archer, I think that it can occur with even an undectable amount of fecal matter. Here is what the CDC states for transmission of the virus:

Transmission / Exposure

How is hepatitis A spread?

Hepatitis A usually spreads when a person unknowingly ingests the virus from objects, food, or drinks contaminated by small, undetected amounts of stool from an infected person. Hepatitis A can also spread from close personal contact with an infected person such as through sex or caring for someone who is ill.

Contamination of food (this can include frozen and undercooked food) by hepatitis A can happen at any point: growing, harvesting, processing, handling, and even after cooking. Contamination of food or water is more likely to occur in countries where hepatitis A is common and in areas where there are poor sanitary conditions or poor personal hygiene. In the United States, chlorination of water kills hepatitis A virus that enters the water supply. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) routinely monitors natural bodies of water used for recreation for fecal contamination so there is no need for monitoring for hepatitis A virus specifically.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Is this recommended that every one have this?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest my state is really been hit hard. We are the worst in the nation for this outbreak. Indiana is advising anyone traveling to Mi to get this shot.

So I think it is good advice to get it. We had a very nice restaurant we eat at often, that had a waitperson with it. The closed up , and cleaned everything, and all of the people employed there, got vaccinated

I don't know if new hires will be required to get a shot, but, if I were the owner I would make sure they had it, before I hired them