Respected Contributor

Re: Have you had a hepatitis shot?

Yes.  I worked in a healthcare environment and all our clinic employees got them whether or not we had direct patient care.  Hepititis virus can live on surfaces longer then the HIV virus.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The shot protects from 2 forms .I am not sure what you mean by risky behavior? We are old, and our risky days are long past

Apparently now "risky behavior" includes eating at Hardees and other restaurants where the food has become infected.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

The shot protects from 2 forms .I am not sure what you mean by risky behavior? We are old, and our risky days are long past

@cherry, I might be able to provide some clarification.  There are several different types of Hepatitis.  The major ones are A, B, & C.   

Hepatitis A is the one that you hear about when people get sick after eating contaminated food such as at a restaurant or some other contaminated food source.  The transmission route for Hepatitis A (usually makes one even sick to think about it), but it is the fecal-oral route.   It can also be transmitted from one person to another in areas such as day cares or homes where there are sub-standard sanitary practices.  Hep A (HCA) is usually a short term infection & the type you are probably talking about when you state there are outbreaks of cases occurring.

Hepatitis B & Hep C are types of hepatitis transmitted by blood or body fluids  Either of these types would be the one the comment pertains to about risky behaviors.  Working around blood, needles, IV drug users just to mention a few groups would be considered high risk.  Although anyone that had a blood transfusion or organ transplant prior to 1992 are considered to be in a risk group for Hep C (HCV).  That also pertains to individuals that received clotting factors as well.  

Both Hep B & C can be short term infections, but the majority become lifelong infections, if you will.  

There are vaccines for Hep A & B, but as previously stated...there is currently no vaccine for Hep C. 

Hope that helps a little. 

ETA:  yes, I have been vaccinated for both Hep A and Hep B due to being a nurse in a critical care area & later as an educator with students in clinical.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

both Hep A and Hep B. and Shingles; also Tetanus.

A Hardees restaurant in Charlotte, NC had a cook who had Hep. A and exposed thousands to this disease. Free vaccines are being offered to folks who dined at this restaurant between recent dates.

I took the vaccines a few years ago as a prophylactic measure.

Respected Contributor

@viva923  There is no vaccine for Hep C yet, but there is a very expensive and effective treatment that can administered to those who have Hep C.

Many baby boomers were exposed to Hep C unknowingly from substandard practices in hospitals, blood transfusions, military injections w/air guns, dentistry and surgical operations, as well as some from  'risky' behaviors.

All boomers should be checked by their doctors for this disease.

Honored Contributor

When the advertisements were coming out for people to be tested, DH said another way for the pharmaceutical companies to make money, because then there will be shots, etc.

I had my yearly blood panel last year, and afterward the doctor mentioned it and said I would be tested the next time, though I told her it wasn't necessary.  when I viewed my lab results, I had been tested, without my permission, do not think a test should be ordered without the patient's knowledge.  She never mentioned a shot, and I would not get one.

Honored Contributor

Working in ICU and Dialysis I was required to get a hepatitus B series of shots many years ago. I am not aware there were vaccinations for Hep A or hep C.

Honored Contributor

My state leads the nation in hep outbreaks. My husband didn't get really sick from his shot. But I did, (DPT)I will never have another one

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'm not sure . I know B was one..but the other one I can't recall. Our pharmacy called to let us know they had a supply of serum available

@cherry

Thank you, cherry,

I just wonder about throwing Hep B in there, as it usually takes a series of injections to increase one's titre to an appropriate clinical level to be able to stave off infection by the B virus.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

That's getting pretty desperate when the corner chain pharmacy starts calling customers at home telling them they have a brand new vaccine and to stop on by!

My pharmacist owns his own shop and doesn't offer vaccines.

FWIW, I would never take it upon myself to get vaccinated without discussing it with my dr who understands my health history. That includes the annual flu shot that he has advised me not to take.