Honored Contributor

Re: Have you had a WEIRD work/home experience-an "You've got to be kidding" kinda thing?

I'll plead the 5th in this.  Don't want to  put it in writing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you had a WEIRD work/home experience-an "You've got to be kidding" kinda thing?

@sfnative  Nailed it.  I find it incomprehensible employers allow brtual treatment of their staff just to keep a buck from a customer.  It's the reason why good customer service is getting harder and harder to find these days and there is no integrity in anyone's work ethics anymore.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I don't know if this qualifies, but I did find it weird. 

DH & I are home, we hear a car pull into the driveway.  We live very rural, like only 15 houses on our road so it is not unusual to hear someone arriving.

Anyway, as I look out the window two very attractive, nicely dressed young women get out and walk up the steps to our front door.  At first I thought they are probably Jehovah's Witness.  My DH goes to the door, as I continue to look at the car.  There are a couple of others in the car and I watch a young man get out of the car.  I immediately went out on our elevated deck making enough noise to get his attention.  He immediately got back in the car.

So anyway, I asked DH, what did the girls want.  He said they wanted to know if we knew anyone in the area who spoke Russian.  Yeah Right.  In the middle of no where you decide to drive up a 700 foot driveway to ask that question.

It was so bizarre, I called the police and reported the incident and the car.

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@sfnativeI sware, put normallly intellegent people into "Student" mode and they turn stupid in an instant!  If as others have told you that "He does that sometimes"  He should have known what to do for himself and not made a scene with you.  I think I would have immidiately shoved him towards the wall,  made him lay down before he fell down and left him in the recovery position.  If he had a cardiac issue it deserves to be brought to light. Especially if he can't help himself. He's a danger.

@candys mine

Unfortunately, and I say that most strongly, there were mitigating circumstances.

*  He could not "do" for himself, as he knew he was going to lose consciousness!!!  He did require assistance.

*  If I had shoved him against a wall, I would have been guilty of a felony - assault.

*  The job of a nurse is to help, not hinder.

*  The reason he had not brought this up with the appropriate staff person was that this occurred in a military training situation on a huge military medical center command.  He would be kicked out of the service, if it became known.  In my mind, he needed to have an implant, quickly, and resign from this branch of the service and go into private practice, but clearly he did not want to do that.  My take:  he wasn't long for the service.  Someone was going to find out and he was going to be medically discharged.

*  I don't know what else to tell you, except to even consider perpetrating violence against someone in distress is very, very wrong, simply because you think something rather stupid is going on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny

Holy Moly!  It would seems they were casing your joint, perhaps?  Or looking for a place to bring in a huge party, if your place looked vacated?  I swear people are doing the weirdest and most destructive stuff these days.  I wish it would have been me, because I know some Russian from my grandfather and would have talked back to them.  LOL!

Respected Contributor

@sfnative  Actually I thought they were roving thieves casing homes in secluded areas.  The young man who got out of the car was heading in the direction of the side door that leads into our garage. Also the car's front was facing out the driveway which means they did a 3 point turn in front of our house before they exited the car.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

It wasn't actually my experience (I just watched), and don't know why this came to mind as it happened some 30 years ago, but I was sitting in my office on the 5th floor of a 5 story building and  we  saw a car, down in the parking lot, that appeared to be smoking.

Somebody had called the FD and we were up there watching as one of the fireman just starting tearing the vehicle apart with his ax  to get inside the vehicle to pull the hood latch.

Well, the problem was that the door was unlocked and he didn't even bother to check before he took the ax to the vehicle.  We all watched in horror just glad it wasn't our vehicle that got all chopped up.

It was definitely a 'you've got to be kidding' moment.

@chickenbutt

Hi chickenbutt!

Aw geez, I can just see this in my mind's eye, as you described it.  What an eyefull that was!

I have a car story for you.  I'm driving home from work on Interstate-8 in San Diego, when the traffic just stopped.  I'm in the fast lane, looked over to the right shoulder and there's an old Toyota with the hood up and smoke and flame pouring out.  The real kicker is that the driver just at that moment, gets out of the car, takes off his jacket and FANS THE FLAMES!!!!!!  I reach for my cell phone, call 911 and tell them some idiot's engine is on fire and he's fanning the flames with his jacket.  The 911 person said, "Would you please repeat what the driver is doing?"  I tell you this was one ignorant guy.  I really don't think he knew what he was doing.  That car could have blown up in his face.  Well, it may have, because the traffice picked up and I kept going home.

Oh my goodness!  Another Darwin Award winner there!  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@sfnativeBeg pardon. I did NOT say shove AGAINST THE WALL.  I said shove TOWARDS the wall with every intention of NOT letting him fall in his face.  I haave MANY times felt faint and DId indeed do the same for myself. sat down or Slid down the wall before I Fell down.  I spent my last moments of consciousness trying to protect myself and trying NOT to fall on someone esle. 

Honored Contributor

doesn't give me much confidence in your hospital! I think that doc chose the wrong profession
Honored Contributor

would love to know what the insurance company said about that!