Respected Contributor

Re: Have you had a WEIRD work/home experience-an "You've got to be kidding" kinda thing?

Oh boy don't get me started LOL!

I was just learning the "ropes" back in the 80's working downtown Detroit....for a small hospital...we were contracted to provided inpatient and outpatient substance abuse treatment.  Well this day I was with the office manager (yrs later she became my MIL) going out to lunch...we were stopped at a red light....out of no where this "man" appears....walks to the front of the car and pulls down pants and begins urinating on hood of car LOL!  

I was from the burbs and rather young (19) it was like another world when I went to work!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you had a WEIRD work/home experience-an "You've got to be kidding" kinda thing?

@dex wrote:

@Carmie.that was very traumatic.You are brave and I am happy you both survived,

Thank you. Me too.

Honored Contributor

I worked the overnight shift in the office of an upscale resort.    EVERY night something weird was going on among the guests.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Hope he doesn't choose surgery as his specialty is all I can say.

@CelticCrafter

At the time, he was an Emergency Department Senior Resident.  This means that he was slated to graduate to Staff status.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo

No, not brought on by the sight of blood.  At the time, he had a heart condition known at "bradycardia," in which the heart beats very much slower than it should.  It can be very dangerous and life-threatening.  He needed an implant to regulate the nervous system in his heart.  However, if he admitted to it, he would be discharged from the service.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

My favorites were last year when three separate people came screaming into my office in a complete and utter tantrum trying to get an unearned credit on their account aka steal from the company and not one manager cared as if that was normal behavior for me to deal with. 

It still boggles my mind since I've never seen anyone do that in the grocery store to get an extra 10% off their food bill.  Why?  Because it wouldn't be tolerated and they would no longer be able to be a customer there. 

Exactly what should have happened here.  

@Laura14

Good Grief!!!

It seems the norm these day, and quite allowable by most, for adults to throw such tantrums, especially if there's any chance of them being able to throw a "if you don't do what I say, I'm going to sue you" into your face.  There are too many people with backing who will do anything to get a buck out of anyone these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It wasn't actually my experience (I just watched), and don't know why this came to mind as it happened some 30 years ago, but I was sitting in my office on the 5th floor of a 5 story building and  we  saw a car, down in the parking lot, that appeared to be smoking.

Somebody had called the FD and we were up there watching as one of the fireman just starting tearing the vehicle apart with his ax  to get inside the vehicle to pull the hood latch.

Well, the problem was that the door was unlocked and he didn't even bother to check before he took the ax to the vehicle.  We all watched in horror just glad it wasn't our vehicle that got all chopped up.

It was definitely a 'you've got to be kidding' moment.

@chickenbutt

Hi chickenbutt!

Aw geez, I can just see this in my mind's eye, as you described it.  What an eyefull that was!

I have a car story for you.  I'm driving home from work on Interstate-8 in San Diego, when the traffic just stopped.  I'm in the fast lane, looked over to the right shoulder and there's an old Toyota with the hood up and smoke and flame pouring out.  The real kicker is that the driver just at that moment, gets out of the car, takes off his jacket and FANS THE FLAMES!!!!!!  I reach for my cell phone, call 911 and tell them some idiot's engine is on fire and he's fanning the flames with his jacket.  The 911 person said, "Would you please repeat what the driver is doing?"  I tell you this was one ignorant guy.  I really don't think he knew what he was doing.  That car could have blown up in his face.  Well, it may have, because the traffice picked up and I kept going home.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sfnative@That was good work on your part but I don’t understand why nobody else assisted you.That doctor fainted why?....I don’t understand that part.I have no medical background.Were you working on a real patient at the time or a video of a surgery.

@dex

The doctor had a condition called "bradycardia," in which the heart beats very much slower that it should.  When the beats are way too slow, as it was for this 6'4" physician at 24 beats per minute, that provides insufficient blood and therefore oxygen to the brain and body tissues and so one faints.

No one from the DNA lab assisted me because they were part-time lab techs who just didn't give a fig.  Twenty-somethings who don't care.  The docs in training do not leave training unless they are told to do so, as this was on a military base.

Re the "patient," surgical or trauma training is no longer allowed on patients, as it was for centuries and centuries.  Presently, we use donor tissue.  My mother was a donor to the Stanford Medical School and felt very strongly about her gift.

I hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie

Carmie,

I'm so very sorry you had that near-death experience, with an incompetent "life" guard watching the entire thing unfold. 

I nearly drowned in the Pacific Ocean, after huge rip tides caught my friend Caroline and me and dragged up way out.  The hopelessness that envelopes one is indescribable.  I am only here through the grace of God and the fact that I was in ace shape.

Your contempt is totally understandable and I'd feel the same.

Respected Contributor

@sfnativeI sware, put normallly intellegent people into "Student" mode and they turn stupid in an instant!  If as others have told you that "He does that sometimes"  He should have known what to do for himself and not made a scene with you.  I think I would have immidiately shoved him towards the wall,  made him lay down before he fell down and left him in the recovery position.  If he had a cardiac issue it deserves to be brought to light. Especially if he can't help himself. He's a danger.