Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever wondered how you know some of what you know?

The things I learned are almost forgotten ... the weird things I absorbed just wander around in my head and pop out every once in a while. Where they came from ... don't know and don't care ... at least they are still there.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Hi, Annabelle, I loved almost all my teachers and almost always remember exactly when and from whom I learned things! Even from teachers I didn't esp. like.

Honored Contributor

Preds is MENSA and has a very quick wit.....no kidding.....you've got those brain cells locked up, gal!
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

Seeing as today is Valentine's Day, what I find sad, is no one writes love letters any more.

I have the love letters that my grandfather wrote to the young woman that he was courting, who would become my grandmother.

I treasure those.

Who saves a love text, or love e-mail?

Future generations are not going to be interested in those.

I miss letters.

Knowing that someone took the time to put pen to paper, write down their thoughts, put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it, address it, and put it in the mail.

I miss that rush of excitement of going to the mail box, hoping that there would be a letter from them, and when there was, oh, boy! You couldn't wait to open the envelope, and to read what they said, over and over again.

Nobody does that anymore, and I think that is sad.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to the English language, I feel I know what I know because I went to school! I loved English class and Mom stressed good grammar. We were corrected at home if we used "slang". I think my mother just knew it would be helpful to us throughout our lives and in the world we lived in at the time. I get my hyphens, semi-colons, colons, dashes, apostrophe's, and comma's confused. Also... some words I have forgotten how to spell. I am thankful for spell checker! I don't go back and hit the books again because there are so many new things I would rather be learning and giving my time to. It's just that simple.

Honored Contributor

I have never wondered how I know, however I have often wondered how I have retained such a good long term memory.I have however wondered at times some of the things concerning my ability and playing musical instruments.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I always thought every thing and any thing I learned of importance I learned in kindergarten. Sister Donald some how ,taught 38 plus 5 year olds to read , write and get along. We all know if you can read with comprehension and get along the rest is gravy.

Honored Contributor

Schooling, obviously. And my mom, a lot.

However, I have learned most of my grammar, spelling and proper sentence structure from reading prolifically all of my life. I would pronounce words wrong sometimes (especially names) but they would always be spelled correctly.

Plus, it just comes naturally to me. I don't know why.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

On 2/13/2015 Plaid Pants said:

I think that texting plays a part, also. For instance, when texting the question, "Where are you?", the long way like I just did, they text "Where r u?".

They will also text, "Im going 2 b at the park", instead of, "I'm going to be at the park".

See what I mean?

rtheyyy4u?

Super Contributor

On 2/13/2015 catwhisperer said:

I'm judgmental, have no class, and am not one bit charming. I do, however, have a Master's Degree in street smarts. Does that count for anything?{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}