Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever visited Colonial WIlliamsburg, VA. at holiday time?

We usually visited Williamsburg in early spring or autumn.  Summer heat...not goood.

I specifically remember one evening when we made dinner reservations at Christina Campbell's Inn.  It had just started raining softly and we were seated on the second floor right by a window looking at the courtyard.  Just watching the rain and the street lanterns made it a dreamy, romantic experience.  

The food was spectacular, especially the bread pudding. Woman LOL We've been back several times.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

The Cozy Inn in Thurmont, MD has been torn down and replaced with a car lot!

Super Contributor

I have been to Colonial Williamsburg numerous times in all seasons.  The holidays are lovely.  There are different activities each evening.  One December evening they were illuminating the taverns and finished with Christmas caroling in front of the Charlton House which was led by a choral group from William and Mary.

The decorations are wonderful.  So simple, yet so elegant.  I would definitely recommend going.  Have fun!

Respected Contributor

I've always wanted to visit Williamsburg at the holidays, but I am usually staying with family then. 

I have been three times in early Spring over the years and it is gorgeous then.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds fun! If you decide to go, have a wonderful time!

Honored Contributor

Colonial,Williamsburg is beautiful around the Thansgiving/ Christmas holidays.  The colonial area is decorated with wreaths and garlands mase with boxwoods and lemon leaves with beautiful fruit being a focal point.

It is usually still warm around that time of year with only a sweater needed for the night time.

They don't have a lot of snow in the area, but when they do, it's horrible.  They do not have equiptment to remove it.  Everyone drives over it and packs it down into ice.  The parking lots in the area are dangerous.

My favorite time of the year to visit is spring or fall. A visit to Jamestown is always a treat. The whole area is teaming with history.

Williamsburg has been built up over the years with outlet stores and fast food joints and outdoor malls.  It's still nice, but I miss the old days.

Honored Contributor

@Brigitta wrote:

The Cozy Inn in Thurmont, MD has been torn down and replaced with a car lot!

Oh no! I am sad to know that.

I was thinking before I posted about it, I should have checked to see if it was still there. It was one of our favorite places.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

We have been to Williamsburg several times.  It is lovely;  we love the history.  June and July are usually very hot.  Fall is so pretty.  We were there many years ago when everything was decorated for Christmas.  Just beautiful!!!!  Candlelight tours are very special.  There are also some beautiful plantations and historical options in and near Jamestown.  The Carter Grove Plantation is gorgeous.  In Williamsburg, the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is so special.  Visiting the College of William and Mary is a treat.  The historic buildings are beautiful.

Hope you enjoy your travels!