Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever used uber or lyft?

I'm not interested in using someone's private vehicle that may not be in the best condition.  What if it needs a brake job?  

All the taxis I've used were spotless.  These were taxis that I requested from my home not from the streets of a busy urban center.   

Honored Contributor

Unless people are just violent and criminal by nature, which can occur with taxis, Lyft, Uber or the person next to you in the grocery store, Uber and Lyft drivers have much less motive to treat passengers badly than taxi drivers do.

They live and die by the ratings passengers give them. If they don't keep top ratings, the companies drop them and their income is gone. Taxi drivers are far more independent contractors and really don't give a .... darn...if they pith you off or not.

Uber and Lyft drivers are often women, including mothers who drive while their kids are in school, and college students. They are most often like you and me, while the average taxi driver...{{SHUDDER}}. 

It's perhaps less so now, but taxi companies, especially large ones, have long had ties to the mob, with the violence you would expect along with that. No thanks.

Asking a stranger for a ride is always a kwap shoot, but I'll tale Uber or Lyft over a taxi as far as safety, hassle and price any day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Hearing cab driver are tied in with the mob, is a new one on me.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Hearing cab driver are tied in with the mob, is a new one on me.

It depends on the size of the city and how splintered "cab companies" are. In cities where 1-2 companies are VERY big, the mob is/was highly involved, just like they are/were with the Teamsters. "The union" was what people said, but they knew who RAN the unions.

I know this in part because I had family who were...very involved, let's say.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think in my area ,the pickins would be too slim. Almost everyone has a car

Respected Contributor

No. I don't think drivers are properly vetted. Thete have been too many crime reports about that. 

Honored Contributor

Same here I live in suburban NYC and do not drive, there is one car service in this area and they have 7 cars on a good day and 3 on a bad day, waiting times can range from 5 minutes to an hours at times, the dispatched does not tell you the real time frame. With Uber I can track the car and know exactly when it will arrive.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I use Uber all the time, I don't use it everyday but in my area it is cheaper to use Uber and it is much faster than cabs and cost less.  I am thankful for Uber.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.