Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever used uber or lyft?

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I use Uber often and I am always pleased with the service, there is no money exchanged, it is all done online with a paypal account or credit card, I am sure it is the same with Lyft.

@cherry wrote:

If you did how were you treated by the driver?

I never have used either ,and  I think I might not want to go with them, but stick with a conventional  taxi cab  company

I just read today  a passenger was  in critical  condition ,after being stabbed by her lyft driver, over a dispute  about a fare

We had an uber driver that deliberately plowed into a crowd of people, killing some, and maiming others. He had been acting  erratically with other fares before this event took place

I feel, and perhaps I'm wrong , you might pay more with a taxi company, but the drivers are safer bets

@cherry- You were in the car when the Uber driver plowed into a crowd?

No thank goodness

Trusted Contributor

I use Uber all the time, I don't use it everyday but in my area it is cheaper to use Uber and it is much faster than cabs and cost less.  I am thankful for Uber.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

My friend always uses Uber.  She doesn't drive at night or into neighborhoods that she is unfamiliar, so she relies on Uber.

So she gets in the car with an unknown stranger to go into unfamiliar neighborhoods.  Makes sense. . . ???  Why not just go out and hitch a ride?  I don't see a lot of difference here.  Sorry, but that's the way it strikes me! 

Uber drivers are screened and when you set up a ride you are given their name model of car and lisence plate number. 

You also get a picture of your driver

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I use Uber often and I am always pleased with the service, there is no money exchanged, it is all done online with a paypal account or credit card, I am sure it is the same with Lyft.

@cherry wrote:

If you did how were you treated by the driver?

I never have used either ,and  I think I might not want to go with them, but stick with a conventional  taxi cab  company

I just read today  a passenger was  in critical  condition ,after being stabbed by her lyft driver, over a dispute  about a fare

We had an uber driver that deliberately plowed into a crowd of people, killing some, and maiming others. He had been acting  erratically with other fares before this event took place

I feel, and perhaps I'm wrong , you might pay more with a taxi company, but the drivers are safer bets

@cherry- You were in the car when the Uber driver plowed into a crowd?

No thank goodness

The reason why I asked because you stated "we" in your op.  @cherry

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @cherry

The city of SF has has a lot of trouble with Uber, particularly because they don't check the background of their drivers.  There have been numerous assaults on women, including a very recent rape.

Also, they refused to get a permit for using their driverless cars in the city, ignoring city rules.

@Noel7  there have been a lot of  complaints ,from  co-eds, in my area, about drivers  that  acted the same way

@cherry

One here turned against a light and ran down a woman with her child in the crosswalk, killing the small child.

@Noel7  as someone here posted ,we had a driver that opened fire on a group of people  at a restaurant. They were celebrating . I can't recall how many were killed, and one young girl was gravely injured. I don't think she will ever be what she was before the attack

You live in Kalamazoo now? The way you've written it makes it seems as if you want to people to believe that you do. From what you've posted previously, I don't believe that's true. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

If you are talking to me. No ,I never made a claim I lived there. I have always said I live near the U of M

Honored Contributor

@cherry, I'm sure that there are many examples of all types of problems with taxi cab drivers, too.

But my personal experience is that the Lyft drivers -- and we've had many -- are much more pleasant and safer drivers. Also, I find their cars to be just nicer inside.

We had one driver recently who had installed a sound system that allowed his passengers to listen to whatever music they like.

It's so convenient not to have to worry about paying when you arrive at your destination. You just pay later (don't forget). You also rate the driver then, too.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I've never had the need as of yet to use either service. My husband and I own two cars so I drive wherever I need to go. 

I live in a metro Atlanta suburb. I think I would have used it by now if I lived downtown or somewhere like New York City but no need for me yet. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I don't often have the need for taxis, uber or lyft but when I do, I now only take Uber. I have had such better intercations with Uber compared to any taxis I have ever taken. I would wait forever for taxis to show up. I never have that problem with Uber. Not once. You also get to review your driver which is not the case for taxis and that really affects who you would pick so it is in their benefit to act very cordial and want you to enjoy that experience.

As for the talk of them being rapists, etc., certainly you don't believe that taxi drivers are exceptions to that rule? lol, that would be pretty naive.

I do agree with the previous poster that said taxis will be obselete one day. They are already taking a huge hit where I live. I don't know ANYONE who still takes taxis where I live, they have all switched to Uber.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

An article published last month, regarding the safety of both Uber and Lyft vehicles.

http://www.kare11.com/news/investigations/could-your-next-cab-uber-or-lyft-be-unsafe/354772149

The beginning of the article:

If you call for a taxi, Lyft, or Uber in this country, depending on the city you live in, you could have a greater than 1-in-3 chance of getting into a vehicle that has not had its federally-mandated safety recall work completed. That's according to a national joint investigation by KING 5, other TEGNA television stations, and Cars.com. That means consumers are riding in vehicles with issues ranging from the benign to the potentially catastrophic.

In reviewing thousands of vehicle identification numbers (VINs) for for-hire vehicles in major cities including Seattle, New York City, Tampa, and Houston, and comparing those to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) database for recalls, the investigation found:

- For-hire vehicles in Seattle had the highest likelihood of an outstanding recall on average, with 1 in just over 2.5 having at least one outstanding recall. In Tampa, nearly 1 in 4 for-hire vehicles had an outstanding recall; in Houston roughly 1 in 3, and in New York City just over 1 in 4.

- Some of those recalls were issued five or more years ago and included Takata airbag inflators, and Toyota accelerator recalls, among other significant issues.

- In most major cities with large taxi fleets, including Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington, D.C., no specific regulations ensure that for-hire vehicle owners stay current with recall work.

- In New York City, where officials say they keep a strict eye on the safety of for-hire vehicles and inquire about recalls, our spot check of 200 for-hire vehicles found that 27 percent had at least one outstanding recall.

- Neither ride-sharing companies Uber nor Lyft requires drivers to ensure that their cars are current with recall work.