Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever used uber or lyft?

I take uber to and from the airport when I'm leaving for more than a few days. I love uber. The cars are cleaner than any cab I've been in and don't smell of smoke like some car services do. The drivers that I've come in contact with have been very friendly and nice. I feel they drive more carefully as it their own vehicle. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I've used Uber to get around locally, I live in a suburb and the nearest city...well the cabs take forever and are ridiculously expensive. Old cars and not clean either.

I have had great experiences with the drivers, mostly male with just a couple of female drivers. They were respectful and sometimes listened to all the troubles I had last year. The only weird experience was a 20 something guy who took my "motherly" encouragement of him as something else. He was working as a custodian and doing Uber to pay his way through school. Anyway he asked for my number and it got all kinds of weird and awkward. I learned from  that one lol. Technically could have reported him to Uber acording to their rules but I didn't. I asked him how old do you think I am he said he didn't care. I think he just wanted that older woman thing and thought I was up for it. Not lol. 

It has helped bring me out of my shell and more easily converse, especially with men. I only use it in the daytime, and always sit in the back seat with my phone at the ready. My state has passed tough laws re background checks for Uber and Lyft. I do wish you could request a female driver, I would never stereotype all men because of the actions of a few but I would be more comfortable with that in general. I did meet some really nice male drivers who told me all about their lives and other jobs etc. And about drunk disgusting passengers.

Also last time I ever checked I had a five star passenger  rating. It pays to tip. But even when I didn't tip I had it. Also pays to be nice and not drunk I guess.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

I have not used Uber or Lyft, (or even a taxi for years), but my daughter uses Uber often. She has never had a problem. She uses them all over the place. She is a truck driver and once she stops for the day, that trucks has to sit, so she gets hours back to be able to work the next day. If she needs to do laundry, go to the grocery/drugstore, etc., sometimes she uses Uber.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Hi @cherry

The city of SF has has a lot of trouble with Uber, particularly because they don't check the background of their drivers.  There have been numerous assaults on women, including a very recent rape.

Also, they refused to get a permit for using their driverless cars in the city, ignoring city rules.

Respected Contributor

I don't know how there could be a dispute over a fare while using Uber.  Business is conducted on line with a credit card so no money changes hands.  If you've read of stories where the drivers may have gone off the deep end, there are a plethora of stories in the news about road rage from ordinary drivers.

I did have to use a taxi about 8 months ago and was surprised by how updated and modern and immaculate the cab was.  Drivers are equipped with GPS and you have a choice of a regular sedan-type cab or a van if needed.  I believe the entire fleet of cabs in my city are relatively new.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

The disputed fare was with lyft and not uber

Honored Contributor

Neither of them handles cash it is all done online

@cherry wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @cherry

The city of SF has has a lot of trouble with Uber, particularly because they don't check the background of their drivers.  There have been numerous assaults on women, including a very recent rape.

Also, they refused to get a permit for using their driverless cars in the city, ignoring city rules.

@Noel7  there have been a lot of  complaints ,from  co-eds, in my area, about drivers  that  acted the same way

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Neither of them handles cash it is all done online

@cherry wrote:

All I know was  the driver stabbed her ,over a fare

Honored Contributor

BOSTON (AP) - Boston police say a driver for ride-hailing service Lyft is facing an attempted murder charge for stabbing another woman during a fare dispute.

Police say 25-year-old Kiona Thomas stabbed the victim in the neck in the city's Dorchester neighborhood at about 11:15 p.m. Sunday.

The 21-year-old victim was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive. Her name was not released.

It was not immediately clear if the stabbing victim was the passenger, as there were several people at the scene.

Thomas, of the city's Roslindale neighborhood, is expected to be arraigned Tuesday on a charge of assault with intent to murder. It could not be determined she has a lawyer.