Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you ever used uber or lyft?

@Sooner wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

My friend always uses Uber.  She doesn't drive at night or into neighborhoods that she is unfamiliar, so she relies on Uber.

So she gets in the car with an unknown stranger to go into unfamiliar neighborhoods.  Makes sense. . . ???  Why not just go out and hitch a ride?  I don't see a lot of difference here.  Sorry, but that's the way it strikes me! 

@Sooner- do you know all your cab drivers? limosene drivers? It's the same difference. 

NO, but the company who hires them does, or has at least a better chance of documenting who they are than other groups.  So, I'm not going to use these new fly-by-nights thank you very much.  Why would anyone care who else uses what?  I don't. 

@Sooner- I don't care what anyone chooses but was answering the question and posing one.  I've had better experiences, saved time and money with Uber.  As a company, they do more to protect passengers than traditional cab companies.  But, Uber was born out of need, especially in NYC metro. and I think they've done well here to fill the gap in service with better pricing and prompt attention. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

My friend always uses Uber.  She doesn't drive at night or into neighborhoods that she is unfamiliar, so she relies on Uber.

So she gets in the car with an unknown stranger to go into unfamiliar neighborhoods.  Makes sense. . . ???  Why not just go out and hitch a ride?  I don't see a lot of difference here.  Sorry, but that's the way it strikes me! 

@Sooner- do you know all your cab drivers? limosene drivers? It's the same difference. 

NO, but the company who hires them does, or has at least a better chance of documenting who they are than other groups.  So, I'm not going to use these new fly-by-nights thank you very much.  Why would anyone care who else uses what?  I don't. 

@Sooner- I don't care what anyone chooses but was answering the question and posing one.  I've had better experiences, saved time and money with Uber.  As a company, they do more to protect passengers than traditional cab companies.  But, Uber was born out of need, especially in NYC metro. and I think they've done well here to fill the gap in service with better pricing and prompt attention. 

I disagree.  

Honored Contributor

Do you know how man Uber and LYFT rides there are in a day....lol  Good grief, a handful of incidents doesn't mean anything at all.  If I used OP's logic, I'd never step foot into anyone's car or even leave my house because bad things happen every day to someone.  I do indeed use UBER and LYFT but I prefer LYFT because they seem to arrive quicker and LYFT gives me a color picture of the car and the driver.  When I'm in my office in the city, I take the car service to the station or sometimes, I take it all the way to where I parked my car at the station in my town.  It's so nice, sitting back in a nice comfy car and being driven to where I want to go.  I've even used  it few times on the weekends when I don't want to deal with parking.   I've never had any problems at all.  I've had some nice conversations and the drivers are always polite and friendly and helpful if I have bags.  And the cars are in pristine condition.  Unlike taxis which are usually old and dirty.  I can honestly say that I will never step into a taxi again. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We've taken an Uber to the airport. 

My daughter uses Uber all the time when she's up at school.  She doesn't have a car on campus and it's how they all get around.  They share rides.  I would feel very uneasy if she got into one alone.  She's told me there are a lot of women Uber drivers though. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Neither of them handles cash it is all done online

@cherry wrote:

The disputed fare was with lyft and not uber

All I know was  the driver stabbed her ,over a fare

Which was suspicious to anyone who has ever taken LYFT or Uber or knows anyone who ever took or who ever saw commercial for either of them.  There's no cash involved...ever.   And riders do not "pay" the fare while they are in the car.   You do it through the app on your cell phone after you exit.  There was stabbing but it wasn't over a fare.  It couldn't have been.

Honored Contributor

I only know what I read in the news

Respected Contributor

Virtually everyone I know uses Lyft or Uber here.  I've been the one person who has continued to use cabs -- primarily because I felt this was their livlihood and that they were licensed and fingerprinted.  But if you don't think something can happen with a cab driver, think again.  Only recently, it was reported that a San Jose taxi driver had been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting women.  I do think that whatever service you use, taxi cab or Lyft/Uber that most drivers are fine but on rare occasion one may not.  However, it would probably be easier to report a bad driver through Lyft if you had to, because you have their name and picture, color and model of their car AND their license plate.  And you can rate each ride/driver.

Recently I did download the Lyft app (I heard that Lyft vetted their drivers better than Uber) and have used it a little bit.  What I find is that it is more reliable and faster than cabs -- generally arriving in less than 5 minutes.  Sometimes in 1-2 minutes!  Cabs can take 15 minutes (although often 5-10) but I've had it occasionally happen where they just haven't shown up and left me stranded.  Or I've been someplace where no cabs were around.  When I have had to be somewhere at a specific time (medical appointment, luncheon, make a train, etc) then Lyft has been the better way to go.  Sometimes it has been cheaper but not always.  And yes, they do drive newer, cleaner cars so that might make it more comfortable for some.

The one negative is that not all the drivers know where they are going -- most use their GPS but for shorter rides, that is no big deal.

Honored Contributor

In SF it is usually possible to get a cab in a residential district within three minutes.

What I like is that you can call ahead, like the night before, and order one for your home.

You can also get a cab app to make ordering easy.

What I especially don't like about Uber is that they think they are too good to get a permits from the city to use driverless cars.  They out and out refused.  The city held tight and the last I heard was they moved those cars to test to Arizona.

Honored Contributor

FYI: Lyft is now allowing reservations in advance for pickup, which is very handy for us. You indicate the day and time, and they follow up with several messages relating to the transaction.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I use Uber often and I am always pleased with the service, there is no money exchanged, it is all done online with a paypal account or credit card, I am sure it is the same with Lyft.

@cherry wrote:

If you did how were you treated by the driver?

I never have used either ,and  I think I might not want to go with them, but stick with a conventional  taxi cab  company

I just read today  a passenger was  in critical  condition ,after being stabbed by her lyft driver, over a dispute  about a fare

We had an uber driver that deliberately plowed into a crowd of people, killing some, and maiming others. He had been acting  erratically with other fares before this event took place

I feel, and perhaps I'm wrong , you might pay more with a taxi company, but the drivers are safer bets

@cherry- You were in the car when the Uber driver plowed into a crowd?