Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever used uber or lyft?

We use Lyft all the time. We have never had a bad experience, unlike our history with taxis. We prefer Lyft because you can leave a tip. I hope that they gain on Uber.

Regardless, I think taxis are a dinosaur at this point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

I use both when i need to go somewhere & someone else has the car, it's cheap and they always show up within 5-10 mintues, so you have to be ready.  Never had any problems, always friendly drivers and way cheaper and faster than the old Taxi service.

Esteemed Contributor

Your experience will vary depending on where you live and the particular neighborhood you leave from.  The drivers are usually from the area.  

My husband was ill and hospitalized 6 weeks.  I took Uber daily for six weeks In Addition to subsequent doctor's appointments.  I am in N Jersey.  Our local taxi company has deplorable cars, often smelling of cigarette smoke; I would be told a cab is coming in 5 minutes and 30 minutes later, I'd still be standing there waiting and the drivers could be pretty rude.  

My experience has been wonderful with Uber.  I've never waited longer than 15 mins and that was during a surge....the driver can't hassle you for pricing because you get the price before you accept the ride, no money is ever exchanged and charges to my credit card sometimes occur when I am in the car; I get bank alerts when my card is used online or phone.  The drivers have been very nice; some talkative and some quiet but always respectful.  The cars were always clean, far better than my cab company.  The price is about half of a cab fare.  The only minor negative experience I had was that the driver got lost coming home from the rehab facility.  I was preoccupied and tired and when I looked up from my book, we were going the wrong way, away from my home.  I told the driver and he was very apologetic, shut off the meter and he asked me what the charge was from my home to the facility.  I showed him the receipt already sent by Uber to me via email earlier in the day.  He reached into his pocket and gave me the difference and we used my iPhone GPS rather than the one in his car which kept sending us in the wrong direction.  I used NYC cabs for 29 years when I worked and they were nightmares so Uber is great for me!  Can't rate Lyft.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I've used Uber to get around locally, I live in a suburb and the nearest city...well the cabs take forever and are ridiculously expensive. Old cars and not clean either.

I have had great experiences with the drivers, mostly male with just a couple of female drivers. They were respectful and sometimes listened to all the troubles I had last year. The only weird experience was a 20 something guy who took my "motherly" encouragement of him as something else. He was working as a custodian and doing Uber to pay his way through school. Anyway he asked for my number and it got all kinds of weird and awkward. I learned from  that one lol. Technically could have reported him to Uber acording to their rules but I didn't. I asked him how old do you think I am he said he didn't care. I think he just wanted that older woman thing and thought I was up for it. Not lol. 

It has helped bring me out of my shell and more easily converse, especially with men. I only use it in the daytime, and always sit in the back seat with my phone at the ready. My state has passed tough laws re background checks for Uber and Lyft. I do wish you could request a female driver, I would never stereotype all men because of the actions of a few but I would be more comfortable with that in general. I did meet some really nice male drivers who told me all about their lives and other jobs etc. And about drunk disgusting passengers.

Also last time I ever checked I had a five star passenger  rating. It pays to tip. But even when I didn't tip I had it. Also pays to be nice and not drunk I guess.

@Greeneyedlady21- one driver told me that if you have a five star rating, you get picked up quicker.  I am five star too and never wait long.  My experience has been excellent. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray Yes I have heard that too. I always give drivers five stars unless there's some glaring reason not to. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

My friend always uses Uber.  She doesn't drive at night or into neighborhoods that she is unfamiliar, so she relies on Uber.

So she gets in the car with an unknown stranger to go into unfamiliar neighborhoods.  Makes sense. . . ???  Why not just go out and hitch a ride?  I don't see a lot of difference here.  Sorry, but that's the way it strikes me! 

@Sooner- do you know all your cab drivers? limosene drivers? It's the same difference. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

My friend always uses Uber.  She doesn't drive at night or into neighborhoods that she is unfamiliar, so she relies on Uber.

So she gets in the car with an unknown stranger to go into unfamiliar neighborhoods.  Makes sense. . . ???  Why not just go out and hitch a ride?  I don't see a lot of difference here.  Sorry, but that's the way it strikes me! 

Uber drivers are screened and when you set up a ride you are given their name model of car and lisence plate number. 

And riders can "send their status" to someone to follow their ride, with the driver's name, license plate #, etc.  I do that for every Uber I take the second I get in the car.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

Uber drivers are screened and when you set up a ride you are given their name model of car and lisence plate number. 

@I am still oxox- and a picture of your driver.  If you have a negative experience you can report them and you can give one star.  One driver told me that Uber discharges them after three poor ratings  You have more control with Uber than a traditional cab.  You are going to get bad apples in every profession.  I've had my share of questionable characters riding in cabs in NYC and even with limousine drivers from companies utilized by my past employer.  I've never had a bad Uber experience. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Sooner- do you know all your cab drivers? limosene drivers? It's the same difference. 

NO, but the company who hires them does, or has at least a better chance of documenting who they are than other groups.  So, I'm not going to use these new fly-by-nights thank you very much.  Why would anyone care who else uses what?  I don't. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@I am still oxox

Uber claims they are screened but several here were found to have criminal records, and several raped the women they were driving.

@Noel7- but we don't know statistics of traditional cab drivers involved in assaults.  Many states do not want Uber there and so those crimes receive attention.  I've only met hard working women and men, many working two jobs.  These people tend to be locals.  Every profession has bad people.  I live in a very diverse, densely populated area and travel to some of our high crime areas like Newark, Paterson at all times and never had a problem so I imagine Uber, NJ does a good job screening drivers.