Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you ever used a store tester?

[ Edited ]

I've used a store tester for makeup, but never on my face, I use the back of my left hand since I'm right handed, then once I see what the product looks like on my skin I use the face wipes that most places have out to wipe the makeup off of my hand.

I used to use testers to see if I liked a scent or not (perfume or cologne) but I stopped doing that because something in the products either triggered a sneezing fit, which turned into an asthma attack or I got one heck of a headache from the scent.

Honored Contributor

No.

I was in BB&B once and they were pushing O'Keeffe's Working Hands in the little round jar at the register - no, just gross.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

Oh my, I would never actually put a lipstick tester to my lips or anything on my skin. When I wanted to smell the perfume I would spray it into the air if they didn't have strips of paper to spray it on.

@blackhole99

Hmm.   That doesn't tell me how it would smell on me, just how it smells coming out of the bottle.   My skin chemistry changes every fragrance.  

Since fragrance has a high alcohol content, I don't think spraying it on the back of a hand will kill anyone.   Of course, JMO.    lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am with @tansy and @sgraham30.  I was just at Ulta and used the back of my hand for a couple of things.  I then took the spritz bottle and a clean wedge and wiped it all off.

I would never put anything where it is supposed to go with the exception of a concealer because that just literally has to be tested for what it is supposed to conceal.  It comes right off my skin though after a few seconds.     

Unless Sephora is not changing out their testers on a fairly consistent and frequent basis, (and even then how do they know the person right before you had a virus?), common sense should throw this one right out of court. 

Honored Contributor

According to Cosmo mag, it is possible to contract herpes from lipstick.  I'm not sure if the case they are talking about ,is the same one , or another

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/how-to/a13064/can-you-contract-herpes-from-lipstick/

Respected Contributor

no, only perfume.

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes!. You have to be extra cautious with everything you come in contact with anymore. 

People and products are very dirty!

Honored Contributor

Having worked in a pathology lab myself, I wouldn't touch anything many people have touched...and that goes for picking up the bottles of spray perfume testers. Do you really think the store clerk disinfects those? They're probably worse than the salt 'n pepper shakers at restaurants.Woman Tongue Get out the wipes.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I was at Ulta recently and couldn't believe all the cringe-worthy behavior going on.  The worst was when I saw a teenage girl using an eyeliner tester on her eyes.  Yikes.

Sometimes I apply store testers to the back of my hand.  I'm having second thoughts about that now.

I swiped a lipstick and a foundation on the back of my hand this evening at Ulta.  🤢

@tansy

Well, as long as you didn't apply it to your hand's lips, maybe it will be okay...? 

Image result for face drawn on hand puppet

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Oh my, I would never actually put a lipstick tester to my lips or anything on my skin. When I wanted to smell the perfume I would spray it into the air if they didn't have strips of paper to spray it on.

@blackhole99

Hmm.   That doesn't tell me how it would smell on me, just how it smells coming out of the bottle.   My skin chemistry changes every fragrance.  

Since fragrance has a high alcohol content, I don't think spraying it on the back of a hand will kill anyone.   Of course, JMO.    lol

That is true, but there could be anything in that spray bottle. I may be a little paranoid, but better safe than sorry.