Honored Contributor

Have you ever taught a child to play a game in or outdoors?

Think of all the games indoors or out, that you knew of as a child and see if you recall teaching one or more of them to a youngster in your life.

What or which ones?

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever taught a child to play a game in or outdoors?

@qualitygal 

gosh... 

hide and go seek bc there werent a lot of rules

red light green light 1 2 3

tag

hop scotch

Super Contributor

Yes, my daughter when she was a student and again when she went on a daylong field trip to an outdoor park as a teacher, Chinese Jump Rope, now known as Elastic Jump rope.  Recently I made one with rubber bands for my granddaughter who is 8.  

Respected Contributor

I am a speech language pathologist and for the last 15 years of my career I have worked with preschool students.  I find I am often the first person to teach them how to play Memory.  I often start by laying the cards face up and teach them to match then we play with the cards face down. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes. My children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and kids of friends. We have a lot of kids in our extended family. Taught them croquet, badminton, red rover;123 red-light, chess, spill and spell, kick ball. We did lots of camping!
Esteemed Contributor

When my kids were in elementary school I taught them how to hoola hoop, LOL!

Of course I was much younger then, thanks for the trip down memory lane, it made me laugh Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

hide and seek

twister (inside)

there are so many

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh absolutely---I took both my young kids, to the local toy store and we picked out 3 or 4 games  and played them constantly when they were little. Chutes and Ladders, Hi Ho Cherrio, Clue, Yahtzee. then twister and badminton for outdoors---I remember my Mom doing the same for me and my 2 brothers when we were pups---she also taught us a few card games too --go Fish, WAR,  solitare--Slap Jack--was a very fond memory!! Then when we too old for those games, we got into Monopoly and played the game over days, leaving the whole board set up and coming back to it the next day--must have been 4 or 5 of us , including neighborhood kids---such good times!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Gosh, board games? Monopoly, we still play this! 

Battleship, Connect 4, Simon, Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Clue. We played 2 games of checkers before bed every night for at least a year.

DS went on to learn chess from some of the guys he's worked with. Cards, War, poker and gin rummy.

As a mom I'm tired! 🙄

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandaughter and I played hopscotch in my driveway last weekend!  I kept my roller skate key and I always used that as the piece I tossed. So we shared it. She's 10 and just couldnt get the concept of why I needed a skate key, so I brought up a picture. She said oh jeeze...you wore your own shoes!  It was so fun playing!