Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever taught a child to play a game in or outdoors?

[ Edited ]

Interesting, great topic, @qualitygal   Woman Happy

Due to family circumstances, I was charged with babysitting my younger brother & sister when I was wayyy wayyy too young, & they werent happy abt it, but I didnt have a choice.

.  So to keep them occupied, less resentful, & yet still thinking,  learning, I offered several, different activities that might peak their young minds & imaginations.:

1)

My younger brother went thru a stage where he liked learning & performing magic.  So we'd assemble each neighborhood child's interests/talents, and have a Neighborhood Talent Performance for all of us.

2)

I'd lead the children in a "Backyard Nature Treasure Hunt." 

Find items in the yard that correspond to a letter in the alphabet, & bring it back to me.  The 1st with items that cover most/all of the entire alphabet,   wins the prize.   (ex: L = Leaf,  A=Apple,  R=Red, etc  )  They loved that!

Some even became quite creative with merely those simple rules.  Like  the same item represented ex  Leaf = Leaf,   Yellow, Stem,   Brown, Pointed,

3) 

I bought a can of the old Shaving Cream for each of the children, and they were allowed to chase one another  (outside)  in a game called "Shaving Cream Wars."  Allowed to douse one another with shaving cream, to their hearts content.  WORE THEM OUT.  (chasing one another trying to nail'em with shaving cream (that doesnt squirt far), each, always eluding the cream, & one another.  (AND, there's no clean up)!

Plus all the rest of the usual games, cards, board games, etc.  but that bored them too fast.

Definitely, kept me on my toes!

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn    Well, you certainly had your thinking cap on.  You should be an elementary school teacher.  Great way to keep the kids safe, get exercise and learn to play nice.  Those were great ideas. You get the blue ribbon!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn    Well, you certainly had your thinking cap on.  You should be an elementary school teacher.  Great way to keep the kids safe, get exercise and learn to play nice.  Those were great ideas. You get the blue ribbon!  Woman Very Happy

~~~~~`

Hi  @qualitygal   Woman Happy

Thank you!  Very nice of you to say!  Woman Happy

Seems it was out of necessity, namely, keep them occupied,  having fun, learning, & they seemed to forget their grievance that I wasnt that much older than them, & yet put in charge while young also.  And seemed to work,  miraculously!   heh.