Honored Contributor

Have you ever sold a co-op or house with out a realtor

[ Edited ]

Have any of you sold a co-op or a house without the use of a Realtor, we are going to be selling my Dads apt soon and we are considering doing it ourselves, I think DH and brother are  crazy. Looking for opinions

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever sold a co-op or house with out a realtor

I think realtors earn their salary. I wouldn't attempt to sell something ,myself

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with the previous poster.  Unless you're in a really "hot" market where homes sell themselves, a good realtor makes life a lot easier.  He/she will take care of all the details and guide you through the process.  Would not buy/sell real estate without one.  And we've bought/sold several co-ops, condos and single family homes, all using a realtor.

Respected Contributor

We did a FSBO about 20 years ago.  Wouldn't do it today because you never know who is answering the ad.  Too much chance for problems.  Don't trust strangers to just walk in the house and look around.  Would rather try to negotiate the commission than do another FSBO.

Honored Contributor

Did three transactions that way. Bought my first home from the owners, then sold that home 18 years later just by word of mouth. We then bought our current home direct from the owners. Saved so much in realtor fees, and the bank and title company pretty much walk you through the process. I think there is an idea perpetuated by realtors that you cannot buy/sell without them.

Respected Contributor

I have not but those who I know did sell without a realtor used a real estate attorney to look over all the documents. 

Respected Contributor

I also would NEVER buy or sell a home without an attorney representing me.  Years ago, we bought a house from a seller who was in a lot of financial trouble.  We had an attorney.  Weeks after the closing and moving in, we received a utility bill with service dates that were obviously before we owned the house.  We sent the bill to our attorney and it was taken care of smoothly.  We didn't have to do anything.  We've bought and sold a couple of houses.  We've ALWAYS had an attorney representing us.  We've refused to"share" the attorney with the seller, or allow a "title agent" to act as an attorney, or allow the real estate agent to guide us through the process.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have and I have also purchased a home from a FSBO.  My oldest son has also bought and sold without a Realtor.

it’s not difficult to buy or sell, but it is better to have a written appraisal and paid inspection if you are the seller before you list it.  It will help you sell.  You should also hire an attorney to do the closing.

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic

My brother is an attorney and he would handle that end of it.

@itsmagicwrote:

I have not but those who I know did sell without a realtor used a real estate attorney to look over all the documents. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@cherry

I would be the one showing the apt and I am concerned about having to be at the beck and call of the buyers, I also have no clue where to list the property and I am leery of listing my phone

@cherrywrote:

I think realtors earn their salary. I wouldn't attempt to sell something ,myself