Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you ever reported a restaurant for uncleanliness?

This kind of stuff burns me.  Call the Board of Health and ask them to do an inspection.  

Esteemed Contributor

So sad! I love KFC! It’s the only fast food place that I will order food from (drive-through). It helps me to stay thin. Literally. That’s true. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can’t recall reporting a restaurant. If I have visited a restaurant that could have been cleaner, I’d never return. I did, however, report my former health club. I used to attend a special lunch hour aerobics class. When class ended I’d run to the locker room for a quick shower before returning to work. One day I saw mushrooms...yes mushrooms...growing in the shower. I freaked out! I told the owner all she needed was a steak to make a perfect meal. I reported the problem (and there were other cleanliness issues) to the health department and joined another club.

Honored Contributor

Not a restaurant but a grocery store...the fish department in particular. Came home with what I thought looked like a delicious fresh fillet of cod from the fish dept at my local grocer. Was getting ready to throw it on the grill and removed the fillet from that plastic tray thing it came in and omg when I lifted the fillet from that tray there was a moving white worm about four inches long laying in the tray!! I actually screamed out loud then quickly threw the entire contents, fish fillet and all, and headed back to the store. Handed over the bag to the fish guy and asked him "Open it!". He did and replied something like "Oh lady, that's just a small worm and we get those things sometimes. No need to worry." Woman SurprisedWoman TongueWoman Surprised I put up my hand, the talk to the hand gesture, and said to that fish guy "Health Dept dude". Yes I did make the call.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have & I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.In the last few years I’ve had food poisoning twice.The last time almost killed me!!

If a restaurant can’t adhere to the rules of cleanliness they should be put out of business,period.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty  - No lectures here.  When I moved here a year ago there was one about 2 miles from here and another 8 miles away.   The one nearby was always empty for the same issues you described and it closed.  The one farther from me is one that, every time I go in there they are always cleaning.   

This is a much newer KFC with a buffet (I think it's about $10) but I refuse to eat at any/all buffets (I've seen too many parents allowing small children to get their own food and little fingers touching food and putting it back, etc.)  The only problem I have with this particular KFC - often there's not enough ppl working there so the person taking the orders has to stop and go to the back to help put together meals (and I've almost stopped going there because even though they use tongs and spoon out your sides), I have an issue with someone handling dirty money and then going back and helping put together the meals. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There have been  three occasions where I have been disgusted with what I saw or learned about a restaurant.

1.  Many years ago my son worked in a KFC while going to college.   He told me that the employees mix the coleslaw with their bare hands, no gloves.  As I say this was years ago so that policy may have changed

2.  There was a very large, very popular restaurant in southern Fl., again many years ago.  

It had beautiful gardens and themed rooms.  My sister worked there while waiting for a teaching job to come through.  My parents loved the place.  My sister said the kitchen was filthy with open containers, spilled food all over and a variety of other problems. They eventually closed.

3.  One time I was in a mall bathroom and came out of my stall at the same time a young girl came out of her stall wearing a McDonalds uniform.  I washed my hands while she primped in front of the mirror.  I wondered when she would wash her hands.  Never did.  I followed her to McDonalds and asked to speak to the manager.  Told her this info, she said she would take care of it.  

Respected Contributor

I would report them, definitely.  There's probably a lot of things wrong that you don't see as well.  Are the refrigerators kept at the proper temp, do the employees store their personal food next to the restaurant food in the cooler,  does the water in the hand washing station for employees working, are they storing raw chicken above the other food so that it drips down, how clean is the fridge........... on and on.  How about bugs......

We've had several popular restaurants shut down by the BOH for these kind of violations, and customers are always surprised.  Our BOH has a website you can go to and see which restaurants were inspected and their list of violations.  Makes me want to stay home.  One place was shut down only six weeks after it opened after a total remodel.  Employees either did not have a food handler's permit or they weren't following sanitary procedures.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty, yes my husband has. It was our local KFC, too. Nasty. Sticky floors, tables weren't clean, etc. Personally, I will never go back there. And I doubt that anything changed after he complained. I know who the manager is, he and his wife wouldn't get any prizes for cleanliness.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Not a restaurant but a grocery store...the fish department in particular. Came home with what I thought looked like a delicious fresh fillet of cod from the fish dept at my local grocer. Was getting ready to throw it on the grill and removed the fillet from that plastic tray thing it came in and omg when I lifted the fillet from that tray there was a moving white worm about four inches long laying in the tray!! I actually screamed out loud then quickly threw the entire contents, fish fillet and all, and headed back to the store. Handed over the bag to the fish guy and asked him "Open it!". He did and replied something like "Oh lady, that's just a small worm and we get those things sometimes. No need to worry." Woman SurprisedWoman TongueWoman Surprised I put up my hand, the talk to the hand gesture, and said to that fish guy "Health Dept dude". Yes I did make the call.

Oh my goodness!!!!  Good for you for calling Health Dept. Lord Have Mercy.