Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever reported a restaurant for uncleanliness?

It takes a lot to gross me out, and I am aware and realistic about conditions in a lot of restaurants and other venues that sell food.   If areas visible to customers are normally gross and unclean, it is almost a guarantee the kitchen and prep areas are filthy and perhaps unsafe for food prep.

If some of the conditions you all described were constant I'd not get food there and perhaps report to the Health Department. 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty

I actually check online for violations and complaints on the City's Health Department website before I eat at a restaurant.

You may check to see if they received any violations but if you do have a City Health Department, I would also report your findings to them.  Corporate KFC will make a call but it's not until the Health Department gets involved that something can be physically done and followed up on.

Usually fast food and chinese restaurants are the worst.

Respected Contributor

KFC...

About 40 years ago we were driving north, up from FLA. It was late and we were hungry and the only place we found was a KFC.

The place was grungy, but we were desperate, so cringingly placed an order.

The chicken in the bucket was GREEN. LOL!

We left w/out eating it.

A few weeks later, my mom read in the paper that Colonel Sanders had paid a surprise visit to one of KFC's locations, and had proclaimed it to be "finger-lickin' bad". She laughed & said "He must've gone to the same place we did!"  Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

We very seldom eat out but when we do it is always at a place that has received the top award for cleanliness by one of our local stations.

So our chances of hitting a dirty restaurant are zero.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

KFC...

About 40 years ago we were driving north, up from FLA. It was late and we were hungry and the only place we found was a KFC.

The place was grungy, but we were desperate, so cringingly placed an order.

The chicken in the bucket was GREEN. LOL!

We left w/out eating it.

A few weeks later, my mom read in the paper that Colonel Sanders had paid a surprise visit to one of KFC's locations, and had proclaimed it to be "finger-lickin' bad". She laughed & said "He must've gone to the same place we did!"  Smiley LOL

OMG, it was literally green?   That is so far beyond.  yikes!  *shudder*

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty

Yes I would report to the Health Department.

Some states require a percentage of employees and all management to be certified through Foodsafe programs. If they passed the course a certificate of completion will be displayed within customer’s view. 

Esteemed Contributor

I walk in, size up the place, walk out and never come back.  That simple for me. And I was like that since I was a kid.  My poor parents if I saw something that bothered me I told my mother I would not eat there.  

Valued Contributor

A former coworker and I used to go to a very popular Greek restaurant once a week.  The place was popular and pretty small.  We went in one day, both ordered Greek salads and as I put my fork in a huge La Cucaracha comes dancing out.  We called the waitress over immediately, showed her and told her to bring the check for our drinks.  The owner came over and told us we'd pay for the salads too.  I said, "your waitress saw the cockroach and I'm certainly not paying."  He said I would and if I didn't he'd call the police..  I told him, "good, by all means call the police because I have no intention of paying you for filthy food we didn't eat.  In addition, I can get real loud and ALL of your patrons will know what's going on."  He backed down and we left.

Yes, I called the Board of Health.  Saw in the paper a few days later he had a lot of violations and was closed down for a few weeks until everything was in compliance.  I've never stepped foot in the place since.

Honored Contributor

I did many years ago. The place was connected to a motel.  The bathrooms were filled with syringes just laying around on the floor. I did complain loudly to motel chain. I just never went back to that eating place again. The last time I was up in that area. The motel building is still there but closed down, and restaurant is up for sale=closed.