Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever owned a jeep?

I'm on my second Grand Cherokee - I had the first one 11 years.  I love 'em - I'll never drive anything else.  Very luxurious but like a tank.  Great in the winter/snow.

Honored Contributor

DH has two old ones.  Rode in one years ago that had faulty steering and almost went into the ditch.  Never again.  PS  Laying off the beer elevates one's judgment.  

Respected Contributor

On!y cars we have.  My husbands is a Wangler and mine is a Cherokee and my daughter bought my older Patriot from us.

We like them.  First one I had was a Liberty and got us started.  That baby was sweet compared to what I had.  It was used but clean.  Bought all new after that.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dear sweet kind hearted husband paid a decent amount to a young woman, a veteran who needed the money.  He never owned a Jeep before and after paying what I consider to be a large amount for a used car....I don't remember its year......he took it to a mechanic who told him it has a bent frame and is lacking a radiator.  It apparently can be driven in the winter.  I am irritated with him for yet again buying a vehicle before having it checked out.  The frame needs to be straightened before a radiator can be fit in. So, it sits on our driveway never registered or plated; never driven by either of us.  A project he says that he will take care like a few others.  I hope he lives long enough.  I have a feeling I'm going to "inherit" his unfinished projects.  I'm so mad over this I could just spit.  

Super Contributor

We have a 1995 (yes, you read that right!) Jeep Grand Cherokee that just won't die.  It's like the "little engine that could".  However, it did develop what is commonly called "death wobble".  If you drive over 40 MPH the front end shakes uncontrollably and is very scary.  We ended up replacing most of the front end parts at a considerable cost, just to find out we had a broken belt in the tire.  But, according to a Jeep forum I was on, death wobble is a real thing.  Anyway, our geriatric Jeep is still driven daily.  (Keeping our fingers crossed)

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

DH had two Jeep Grand Cherokees.

#1 - Ok, lots of road noise. No big deal, no fun for me to drive.

#2 - Rough ride, road noise, engine caught fire on I40 on the way to work one day.  It was less than 6 mos old.  Insurance settled with dealer for refund of full purchase price, damages, and expenses; paid by check to us.   Dealer and insurance company were NOT forthcoming as to cause of fire, except to say No Fault Of Owner.

No more Jeeps for us, maybe we are Jeep jinxed! 

Also: in my state driving on the sand dunes has been illegal for years.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My husband is driving his isecond Jeep.  My two sons own Jeep's as well as my daughter.

My daughter used to own a Jeep Wrangler.  I hated it.  I always called it a garbage can with wheels.  It was very uncomfortable to ride it it.  She once drove us to the beach four hours away and I felt like I was beat up when we got there.  It is not a good vehicle for the highway.

Honored Contributor

No, they've always seemed too bumpy, rough-riding, and impractical.

On the other hand, they have quite a romanticism. When I was watching The Gilmore Girls, I craved Lorelei's Jeep (and her assertiveness). Then again, I couldn't drink that much coffee, either. Woman LOL

I do love driving stick shift, though.

Jeeps in the Movies and on T.V.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

The jeep on our driveway is a 2001 Wrangler.