Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you ever helped a homeless person? If so what is your story?

[ Edited ]

I've had  experiences with two different homeless guys ... On my way to work,  one threatened me and followed me for about a block on a busy downtown street.  I didn't panic as this is a common occurrence where the homeless come up and get in your face ...it's best to just keep on steppin'.  

The other incident occurred during a summer festival/foodfest ... where this guy asked for money  ... since I had just purchased a slice of deep dish pizza,  I offered it to him, which he took and then proceeded to throw away... saying he wanted money, not food.   No dice, I said ... you can't be that hungry if you're throwing away a nice large slice of pizza.  

In our city you just take this with a grain of salt.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I helped a cousin years ago when her husband lost his job. They needed a deposit for an apartment and a little start up money, so I helped her out. She is a life long friend as well as cousin and I am happy to say that her husband found employment about six months later.  They raised wonderful children too and are all doing well. Sometimes, just a little can do so much to change the lives of individuals having a rough spot. I believe in the phrase "Pay it forward."

I believe any one of us could end up homeless no matter how much money we have. Sometimes luck plays into it, too. That's why poverty is such a curse. I just watched "The Grapes of Wrath" this morning and it truly humbles me to think how much we have that often times goes unnoticed or appreciated. Wake up call.....that's for sure.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My father tried to help ... for a long time.  He found and helped a group under a bridge.  We sent food, blankets, tents, and stuff.  After a while, after the group grew larger, they asked him not to bring any more stuff.  It appeared that they were well off and it was "hurting" them to get help.  WHAT?  I don't know what was wrong with our help, but they didn't need it any more.

We have plenty of "homeless" around here ...  at every entrance and exit ramp.  I have water that I hand them ... some have  dogs with them.  I also have plastic bowls and dog treats that I keep in my car.  I've had guys ask for gas money at stations.  I tell them to go to the pump and I'll pay for five dollars worth of gas.  I have not had any of them ever do it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

@Preds wrote:

My father tried to help ... for a long time.  He found and helped a group under a bridge.  We sent food, blankets, tents, and stuff.  After a while, after the group grew larger, they asked him not to bring any more stuff.  It appeared that they were well off and it was "hurting" them to get help.  WHAT?  I don't know what was wrong with our help, but they didn't need it any more.

We have plenty of "homeless" around here ...  at every entrance and exit ramp.  I have water that I hand them ... some have  dogs with them.  I also have plastic bowls and dog treats that I keep in my car.  I've had guys ask for gas money at stations.  I tell them to go to the pump and I'll pay for five dollars worth of gas.  I have not had any of them ever do it.

I think that is one of the problems with some of the homeless is they try to take advantage of good people. Very small group but it happens. That is why the homeless man I was helping amazed me. Never ask for nothing and was truly a kind man. I seen him so many times standing out there and never a word to anyone .