Frequent Contributor

Re: Have you ever helped a homeless person? If so what is your story?

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

While walking along the beach in cold weather I noticed a man laying under the bushes sleeping.  Drunk or not.   I knew he was cold.   I walked back to the car and opened my trunk and took out a thick blanket.  I kept it there incase of emergancy while out driving in cold weather.   I took the blanket to him and covered him up.  I walked away knowing that he might leave it there and not take it with him when he woke up.   I gave it to him just so he could keep warm for that one time sleeping during cold weather during the day and night.  

Another time it was cold cold cold...I saw a old man freezing while he was standing around outside.  I ask him to follow me and he did.  I walked to the place where some people washed their clothes.  I placed a lot of quarters in the dryer that would run for over one hour or so.   I told him to let it get warm and when it got warm lean into the dryer to get warm.  I did it myself to show him what he needed to do.  Plus I wanted to make sure it would be safe for him too.  I sat down for awhile and watched him get warm.  After I felt he was going to be OK for a while I left the place out into the cold again.  

Back to La la land

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you really want to help the homeless volunteer at a food bank or organize a food drive in your neighborhood, or volunteer to assist the postmen with their huge annual food drive. Or do all 3.

Trusted Contributor

YES. Recently, I bought some food for a young homeless man and cans of food for his dog who was sitting outside a supermarket.

Honored Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

I have. Heartbreaking! There was a man around his middle 50's I think. He use to stand in front of this grocery store I always went into. He never ask for money and never aggressive. One day I seen him I wanted to do something for him. I waited at the store until a man walked out and I ask him if he would go over with me I wanted to give him money. He did.  The man with a kind face said thank you I will buy something to eat. I use to stop and give him food. In the months to come it was getting colder so I got him some warm socks,gloves,hat and fleece tops to keep him warm. Put some candy in the bag with some money. He smiled at me and said I will never forget you.  Christmas came could not find him I had blankets and a gift for him. For months I rode around looking for him. I ask someone in the store if anyone seen him they said  He passed away. I was so sad and upset. You see he was a human being. Someone's son,brother even father. Someone at some time loved him. He had a life.  I never knew his name but he was a gentleman and taught me a lesson in life don't judge the homeless it could be you someday down on your luck!  Someone said to me don't give him money he will drink it up. Another called him a drunk. They didn't know they just judged him. He was just down on his luck . Kind man.

Bless your heart for sharing such a heartwarming story! *hugs*

DH and I don't help a specific individual, however, every year we donate about $10,000 worth of goods I buy through couponing every year for the local homeless shelter and the battered woman's shelter. When it gets close to Christmastime, I buy lots of toys this way too for the homeless shelter and local hospitals Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up there was a lady that collected bottles to turn in for money.  People saw her daily walking the farm streets and sleeping in the green fields at night.  One morning left an inprint on my mind the rest of my life.  I was walking to school and I saw her waking up from out of the green field.  She stood up slow.   She fluffed her hair with her fingers,  fixed her clothes just right, and neat as she could.  She turn around and faced the mountains where the sun was rising.  She stood there and raised her hands to the sky and the rising sun.  She held her hands up a long time.  I continued walking, and kept watching her.  I thought that she looked lovely standing in the field with the rising sun in the morning.  Standing in rags from the dirty grain sacks that she used to make her clothes.  My mind placed her into the areas of a Morning Field Goddess.  

Once she spoke to me which was exciting to me because no one else in that town has said she spoke to them.  

When she died the town's Bank reported to the paper that she had an account, and had thousands and thousands of dollars in the Bank.  Also told she has a daughter listed on the account.  

Who would have guessed she was a real rich lady that slept in the green fields and wore rags.   

Trusted Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Growing up there was a lady that collected bottles to turn in for money.  People saw her daily walking the farm streets and sleeping in the green fields at night.  One morning left an inprint on my mind the rest of my life.  I was walking to school and I saw her walking up from out of the green field.  She stood up slow.   She fluffed her hair with her fingers,  fixed her clothes just right, and neat as she could.  She turn around and faced the mountains where the sun was rising.  She stood there and raised her hands to the sky and the rising sun.  She held her hands up a long time.  I continued walking, and kept watching her.  I thought that she looked lovely standing in the field with the rising sun in the morning.  Standing in rags from the dirty grain sacks that she used to make her clothes.  My mind placed her into the areas of a Morning Field Goddess.  

Once she spoke to me which was exciting to me because no one else in that town has said she spoke to them.  

When she died the town's Bank reported to the paper that she had an account, and had thousands and thousands of dollars in the Bank.  Also told she has a daughter listed on the account.  

Who would have guessed she was a real rich lady that sleept in the green fields and wore rags.   

What a beautiful story. Something to remember for a lifetime. Thank you so much for sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do all the time, if I am led to do it.  Which seems like it is 95% of the time.  I especially hate it when I am tired, in a hurry, see someone...then get to my car and think about them. I talk myself into thinking someone else will take care of them.   I start the car, and think about them some more.  Then I wind up going back and seeing what they need

I cannot always worry that they will spend it on.  In the long run they WILL buy food and such.  It is sad to see someone asking for money.  There are a million reasons why they got to the point of asking for money. 

I have worked with the homeless and indigent.  I had a  "bag" food program and worked with second Harvest for 15 years.  The majority of those on the street are mentally ill. Most homeless do not drink or do drugs until they have been on the street for over 18 months.  Then the spiral can take place.  Women on the street are increasing in numbers, and at risk all the time.  In the last 10 years at least 17 homeless people in my small town have died on the street, in the alley...one in a tree lot at Christmas. trying to keep warm, but not knowing better.  I could go on.

There are time I say I have no change to one of the people asking for money.  I always think that those asking need some kind of help. I believe they are just as important to the Lord as myself or anyone else. I have seen families on the street move to an apt. and get jobs with help.  I have referred some to people I know who help with mental illness, addiction or really need a job but need retraining.  People do get help and move out of homelessness, but sadly someone moves into their slot.

I always hope and pray that this will be the day  they get help.  If one out of ten recovers from being on the street, that is a good thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  Just recently, i gave an elderly lady a ride to  a very low budget  motel. She was coming out of walmart in one of those carts (with food), also she had a walker, and  then she asked me. I have never done this before!!!!  She was living out of her suitcases. She had to have some sort of income to stay there. I have not told anyone.  She says she just goes place to place. That what she said, anyways. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have, but not in terms of helping someone who had been living on the streets.

When I was in nursing school, I became really good friends with a classmate.  We were the two oldest in the program, so that's what started it. One evening during our thid year, our doorbell rang and it was Sue, very upset and crying.  Long story short, her husband had pistol whipped her in a drunken furor over nothing.  This was something he did quite often, I came to learn, except this time he got his gun out.  Sue grabbed an overnight bag, stuffed some clothes and necessities in it, grabbed her husband's big stash of cash, then, when he passed out, she left.  She took a bus all the way across town to our house and was an emotional mess when she got to us. 

We sat in the breakfast room and had tea and cookies and talked until 2 in the morning and made plans.  I told her that in the morning I was going to drive her to the police station so that she could file an assault and battery charge against him.  She balked at first, but then agreed.  She was extremely frightened of him, so my DH and I told her that our home was hers for as long as she needed it.  We had a basement and made up living quarters for her there.  Not exactly the Ritz, but safe with 3 squares and love.  Eventually, she moved out and into a horrible downtown hotel room, but then I found her a mother-in-law apartment and she stayed there two years.

She successfully divorced her husband and was given a monthly stippend and eventually fell in love with a forest ranger in Humboldt County and was blessed with a new life.  When her new life occurred, she dropped out of my life.  Sad for me, but I understand because I probably reminded her everyday of that most horrible time in her life. 

Honored Contributor

Yes quite frequently but I don't want to share details here.....