Trusted Contributor

Have you ever helped a homeless person? If so what is your story?

I have. Heartbreaking! There was a man around his middle 50's I think. He use to stand in front of this grocery store I always went into. He never ask for money and never aggressive. One day I seen him I wanted to do something for him. I waited at the store until a man walked out and I ask him if he would go over with me I wanted to give him money. He did.  The man with a kind face said thank you I will buy something to eat. I use to stop and give him food. In the months to come it was getting colder so I got him some warm socks,gloves,hat and fleece tops to keep him warm. Put some candy in the bag with some money. He smiled at me and said I will never forget you.  Christmas came could not find him I had blankets and a gift for him. For months I rode around looking for him. I ask someone in the store if anyone seen him they said  He passed away. I was so sad and upset. You see he was a human being. Someone's son,brother even father. Someone at some time loved him. He had a life.  I never knew his name but he was a gentleman and taught me a lesson in life don't judge the homeless it could be you someday down on your luck!  Someone said to me don't give him money he will drink it up. Another called him a drunk. They didn't know they just judged him. He was just down on his luck . Kind man.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you ever helped a homeless person? If so what is your story?

Yes vickiv, our family has/have helped the homeless.

Your story makes me happy and sad at the same time.  Your generosity and kindness towards the man was with him until the end. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

of course, I have walked in their shoes. I will give food and pet food for those with a dog, I see a lot of that...sad..

Super Contributor

i left some meal tickets for the homeless shelter in a sleeping homeless man pocket.

Honored Contributor

one of my favorite charities supports local homeless teens.  Many of these kids have aged out of the foster child system and are tossed out on their ownSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I have offered both human and pet food.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH and I frequent NYC a lot and it breaks my heart when I see a homeless oerson with their dog,  we always give money and a little extra for them to get dog food,  one day we  saw a young man holding a sign saying he was homeless and needed money for transporatiion, the sign went on to say he was a Vet,  that is just wrong! Men and women that serve our country come back and are living on the streets.  I started crying and my DH went over and handed him a large bill, it was the least we could do.  I don't give to everyone, I do scope the situation first because you need to be safe, 

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago, there was a man in his early 30's who frequently showed up at my husband's workplace.  One day he startled me when I went to drop off something, as he came from behind some bushes and asked me who I was.  I told him my name, and he asked if I was Mr. Wildcat's wife.  I told him that I was, and that began our friendship.  My husband and his co-workers collected funds to help him with a few months rent for a small apartment.  DH and co-workers helped him apply for a job at Home Depot which was close to that apartment, and they got him a bicycle which he used to get to and from work.  We invited him to dinner at a local restaurant with our family once or twice each month.  We'd pick him up, take him home, and tell him to order anything he wanted.  We know several other families who also took him out to eat each month. He has a great sense of humor and is like a gentle giant.  Through conversations, he revealed that he received special education services when he was in school.  He really struggled after the death of his mom.  He had no siblings and never knew his father.  We have since moved away, but he has a cell phone and DH talks to him about once a month.  He's earned and saved money enough over the years to buy a used car.  Smiley Happy  He still works at Home Depot, and people from church and my DH's former co-workers still check in on him and help out if needed.  He's on our gift list each year at Christmas.

More recently I've helped organize canned food drives.  I also volunteer at food pantries.  From my experience, most people I've met want to help themselves but need some assistance with their fresh start.

Trusted Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

I have. Heartbreaking! There was a man around his middle 50's I think. He use to stand in front of this grocery store I always went into. He never ask for money and never aggressive. One day I seen him I wanted to do something for him. I waited at the store until a man walked out and I ask him if he would go over with me I wanted to give him money. He did.  The man with a kind face said thank you I will buy something to eat. I use to stop and give him food. In the months to come it was getting colder so I got him some warm socks,gloves,hat and fleece tops to keep him warm. Put some candy in the bag with some money. He smiled at me and said I will never forget you.  Christmas came could not find him I had blankets and a gift for him. For months I rode around looking for him. I ask someone in the store if anyone seen him they said  He passed away. I was so sad and upset. You see he was a human being. Someone's son,brother even father. Someone at some time loved him. He had a life.  I never knew his name but he was a gentleman and taught me a lesson in life don't judge the homeless it could be you someday down on your luck!  Someone said to me don't give him money he will drink it up. Another called him a drunk. They didn't know they just judged him. He was just down on his luck . Kind man.

Thank you for making the world a better place! Heart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While walking along the beach in cold weather I noticed a man laying under the bushes sleeping.  Drunk or not.   I knew he was cold.   I walked back to the car and opened my trunk and took out a thick blanket.  I kept it there incase of emergancy while out driving in cold weather.   I took the blanket to him and covered him up.  I walked away knowing that he might leave it there and not take it with him when he woke up.   I gave it to him just so he could keep warm for that one time sleeping during cold weather during the day and night.  

Another time it was cold cold cold...I saw a old man freezing while he was standing around outside.  I ask him to follow me and he did.  I walked to the place where some people washed their clothes.  I placed a lot of quarters in the dryer that would run for over one hour or so.   I told him to let it get warm and when it got warm lean into the dryer to get warm.  I did it myself to show him what he needed to do.  Plus I wanted to make sure it would be safe for him too.  I sat down for awhile and watched him get warm.  After I felt he was going to be OK for a while I left the place out into the cold again.