Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had to babysit a 2 year old ??

BlackHole:  First thing I thought was using a harness.  (I had two cousins (years and years ago).  Rambunctious 'game players', always wrestling with each other, climbing cabinets, destroying everything in their paths, etc.)  They wore out my mom and me.  We were exhausted after babysitting. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It's so much fun, isn't it!  I babysat my great niece for a year when she was 3 years old.  She spent one day a week with me, there was a gap in their childcare arrangements and since I work from home and she wasn't a baby; I was happy to do it.  I can't believe how advanced 3 years are now.  She had her own Iphone and knew how to use it.  Granted, it's on child mode and she could only call her mom, dad and her nana but it had her games and her movies and shows.  I hate to say it but she taught me a thing or two about my smart phone...lol   They are so full of life at that age.  She had me singing and dancing and she is quite the little gossip...lol  She didn't take naps either, it was go go go from the time her mom dropped her off until the time her dad picked her up.  She's in K1 kindergarten now and she loves being in school but I miss our Wednesdays together.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I have this busy little boy in my home who happens to be my grandson.  His Dad usually keeps him and I take over when he goes to work in the afternoon and I watch him until my daughter gets home (2 1/2 hrs) Since my son-in-law has a new job and promotion he has to work the day shift for 2 weeks of orientation,(ending tomorrow)  I'm babysitting 8 hrs a day. Now I am retired, 67 and love my 2 grandsons (the other one is 17).  I have watched more  children's channel shows including the Wiggles over the last 2 weeks and I'm finding myself singing along and dancing to keep him entertained and in one spot. I know the "Simon says" song. This 2 year old knows how to navigate my iphone to find pictures and videos and he made a video clip of pictures all by himself. (I don't even know how to do that !)  He can only say a few words but he understands a lot. I call him Mr. Busy, he doesn't even take daytime naps!  One more day !  Gotta go, he's shredding the newspaper adds.  Happy Holidays everyone

@Goodie2shoesSounds like a very smart little guy you have there!  As a former spec. ed. teacher, I just wanted to mention that a 2 year old should be speaking more than "a few words."  His hearing is probably just fine, since he understands a lot. And he's obviously quite bright.  But it may be that too much of his time is focused on electronic media, and not enough on verbal interaction with other people.    I'd play games with him that require him to respond verbally to you, and cut back on the TV and media time, which are both passive in terms of developing his speech skills.  He's very lucky to be growing up close to his grandma!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I have a two-year-old and five-month old grandsons and I get to see them in a few days and I’m so excited! 

Honored Contributor

@Leelee1123you are so right about the story time. I read to my son from the time he could sit up on his own. I would actually act out the characters in whatever book we were reading, to my sons delight. When he learned to read himself at 5 years old I would ask him to read it to me and he said," no it"s not  as much fun". My husband would take over the story telling when I worked some evenings and he would make stories up and tell them to my son. One story was about a space creature called Ben-Eb who came to earth  in a flying saucer. It really was a delightful story, my son actually drew a picture of Ben-Eb and the flying saucer. I still have that picture, my son is now 34 years old.

Esteemed Contributor

When I babysit our almost 2 year old grandson, we play or read books the entire time, except for when we take a walk. Maybe a little TV but no electronics for us!

Honored Contributor

Babysitting for any length of time (more than an hour lol) any child under the age of about 6-7 would be my idea of he**.  No thank you. Give me your animals to babysit - cat, dog, guinea pig, sheep, goat, horse, pig ... Easier than children.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbagswroteSmiley Frustratedounds like a very smart little guy you have there!  As a former spec. ed. teacher, I just wanted to mention that a 2 year old should be speaking more than "a few words."  His hearing is probably just fine, since he understands a lot. And he's obviously quite bright.  But it may be that too much of his time is focused on electronic media, and not enough on verbal interaction with other people.    I'd play games with him that require him to respond verbally to you, and cut back on the TV and media time, which are both passive in terms of developing his speech skills.  He's very lucky to be growing up close to his grandma!

Thanks for your feedback, he can say several words, car, bus, cup,ball, momma, daddy and several more. His favorite word is "pot pie" because he loves pot pies. His mom limits them of course but he can spot them in the freezer even when she tries to hide them.  He is the only child and they plan to place him in daycare next year. He should really pick up on his speech being around other children. We play learning games with him and he does very well. Children learn very fast now a days

Esteemed Contributor

Cute, lol. I can tell you are excited by your story. Enjoy!

I watched my 3 granddaughters (part time) from when they were born up. They are now 19, 17 and 13 and this has been the first year that I have not watched ANY of them (for my daughter to work, they all do come over and the younger 2 stay over at times). I miss them being young and I actually had some days where I cried this year and felt like an empty nester again since none of them are here weekly.

Anyway, I was a young grandmother at age 41 (& 1/2) I am glad that I was younger when they were younger so I could keep up!. lol. (Most of my friends have little grandchildren and mine are older) BUT my son gets married (for the 1st time) in May so I'm hoping for more grandchildren after that! :-) 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I have this busy little boy in my home who happens to be my grandson.  His Dad usually keeps him and I take over when he goes to work in the afternoon and I watch him until my daughter gets home (2 1/2 hrs) Since my son-in-law has a new job and promotion he has to work the day shift for 2 weeks of orientation,(ending tomorrow)  I'm babysitting 8 hrs a day. Now I am retired, 67 and love my 2 grandsons (the other one is 17).  I have watched more  children's channel shows including the Wiggles over the last 2 weeks and I'm finding myself singing along and dancing to keep him entertained and in one spot. I know the "Simon says" song. This 2 year old knows how to navigate my iphone to find pictures and videos and he made a video clip of pictures all by himself. (I don't even know how to do that !)  He can only say a few words but he understands a lot. I call him Mr. Busy, he doesn't even take daytime naps!  One more day !  Gotta go, he's shredding the newspaper adds.  Happy Holidays everyone  

This is just too funny.  Yes, I remember babysitting my grandchildren when my daughter's were 5 mos, 19 mos and 3!  Oh my goodness, don't know how she did it!!  Now, two of them are out of college and one will graduate college next spring.  Bless you!