Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had to babysit a 2 year old ??

@Goodie2shoes

Oh my yes!

A two and 1/2 year old + a nearly 4 year old ... so our two grands are 17 months apart. We have kept the two by ourselves many times... and we are the worse (Physically) for wear

but emotionally — I would not take anything for the bonding that we feel toward them!

The most ragged time for us and definitely for the parents was during the first two years. There was no sleeping a full night up until September of this year!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

All of my friends are grandparents, and it wears me out just hearing about their babysitting adventures!   

My daughters have absolutely no interest in having children, and that does not upset me in the least.   Being a grandma has never been on my Bucket List.   

Esteemed Contributor

Hey @Goodie2shoes, sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

Yes, I have a grandson who will be 4 in July and I watch him quite a bit. I absolutely love spending time with him but he definitely can be exhausting. I will be 48 in March and I am in good shape (I run, do yoga and pilates) but it can still be exhausting! I honestly would be totally in trouble if I wasn't into exercising because I would be the one taking naps! It is amazing how much they know how to do even at 2. My grandson could work all the pictures and know how to get to more stuff on a smart phone that I could, lol!! He loves looking at videos of ambulances, firetrucks and police cars and helicopters and is absolutely obsessed with them so he is always looking at those on youtube and has known how to get there to watch them for about 2 years.

One thing my daughter really wanted him to learn was to speak a second and third language because that is when it is easiest for them to learn. They are like little sponges. We all speak Spanish so he is learning that but they also started on Mandarin and I am currently learning that with him. 

I hope you enjoy your grandson!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Some really great ideas on what to do with children here. I do agree with allowing kids to help cook. My grandson loved to make his scrambled eggs and many other things I was making. He has loved cutting out Christmas cookies and decorating them this year. Also reading is so important. I think we must read at least 5-6 books a day at least. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Bless you! I'm not sure I could keep up!

My best advice to all people in care of small children is that a tired child is a happy and well behaved child. 

Outdoor physical activity and lots of it makes for healthy bodies, but well adjusted attitudes and some good afternoon naps too! 

I was over at my brother in laws home recently and they are fostering/raising five kids (some are their grands) all of them between age 7 and 9. They are having some issues with the kids, and have them really regimented with chores, school work, reading etc. , but in my opinion, not nearly enough outside time to burn off that energy. They would get so much better results if these kids could play outside for  at least one hour after school each day. 

But nobody asked for my opinion, so I kept it to myself!

Honored Contributor

Bake, have them make anything!  Make play doh, and then play with it.

go for a walk.  Watch spongebob, and laugh.

i always let my grandkids dress up.  I gave them jobs, saying bet you cant do this.....we went to the creek.  In my better days I had a seat for them on my bike. I would put the helmet on and off we went.  I played with them.  They are older now.  Now I pay them to do jobs and I take them shopping.  But we still watch spongebob and hey arnold.  My oldest is 28