Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a real Italian antipasta

OP- Yes, I have enjoyed the sharing of  authentic communal antipasto and each time the antipasti (plural) was delicious.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Yes, I've had and made antipasto.   

I've never seen anyone with oil dripping  down their faces and all over their clothes though 

Maybe you weren't doing it right.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My family calls it antpastA and it isn't an appetizer - it is a meal. Since they were born & raised in Italy I'll take their word for it.Eaten with your fingers - no dish (except my Dad) just a napkin.A bite of this - a bite of that, seasoned with a lot of conversation and laughter. I love figs and would make a pig of myself on them if my Mom let me. If my grandma made it there would be a bowl of hard boiled eggs alongside.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Yes, I've had and made antipasto.   

I've never seen anyone with oil dripping  down their faces and all over their clothes though 

Maybe you weren't doing it right.

There's a reason why the men in my family remove eat in their undershirts ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@151949  Sounds absolutely delicious.  Travelled a lot in Italy and eaten lots if antipastA - all our Italian friends eat antipastA too - thanks for this wonderful "meal"!

Honored Contributor

I do not eat cheese, salami, pepperoni, olives, marinated peppers, condiments, etc, so there is nothing about antipasto that appeals to me.

Honored Contributor

Haven't heard "light the stove" since my Mom used it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

One of my favorite childhood memories was Italian day at the largest Pittsburgh amusement park. There was always an antipasta for lunch then off we would run to go on the rides. Grandma would sit on the benches near the merry go round and hand out tickets for the rides a little at a time, so that way she could keep track of us. The entire park would smell delicious as some of the people would stay in the picnic area cooking all afternoon. Around 6PM my parents would show up from work and we would all go and eat what grandpa & his sisters had cooked for our family's dinner. Then until it got dark we could go & ride again , grandpa & grandma would go home as soon as dinner was over , but my parents loved to dance so they would stay and at dark , take us to the pavillion where they would dance until it closed. This was the best day of summer to me.

Contributor

Yes I have had anti pasta many times.  My family usually has it before a big pasta dish like lasagna.  We have layers of the pickled veggies provolone ham salami and my sister layers sliced oranges in between each layer.  Very enjoyable with slices of crusty bread and of course a glass of wine.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes lots of times and I love it. It is also definitely antipasto not pasta. Antipasti plural.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK