Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a real Italian antipasta

I think some people look at their childhood and are all OH BOO HOO - I had to wear hand me downs and walk 2 miles to the school bus. My life was terrible.  Another person says Oh boy cousin Suzy got a really pretty pink dress - and when she outgrows it next year I'll get it." and the walk to the school bus was pretty much just a walking playtime for us.Snowball fights - teasing and being teased. Riding down the hill using our books as a sled. It's sometimes just about your perception.

Honored Contributor

No, I never have.  To tell you the truth I never heard of it before.  I can say this though....we are getting ready to go out to eat and these posts have made me darn hungry!!

It's always good when someone shares sweet memories.  It warms the heart.  Now...off to warm the tummy!

Trusted Contributor

Growing up we had a very good Italian restaurant nearby. (Not a chain, it was owned and run by a couple from Italy.)  My parents would order this.  It was great.   
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@tends2dogs  Until I read this board I never realized how many people never grew up in families the same as mine. Did our family have their problems - sure - everyone does. But the good way way way overshadowed the bad. We were blessed. I think the most important things you give a child are love & security, and we had those in spades.

@151949

The only reason I remember the word "antipasta" is because that is what my mother called it when all 3 of my sisters any myself were at home in the Projects together.

My oldest sister graduated from her Catholic High School during an afternoon ceremony, and she, my mother and myself got on a train that night to leave the city. My sister was meeting her fiance in New Mexico to get married.

He was in the United States Air Corp and was stationed there at that time. Think it was Alimagordo(sure the spelling is wrong) New Mexico. She was only 17 when she got married. Thus when her and my brother-in-law were in town, my mother used "antipasta", and that is my knowledge of the word and events in our family.

My mother did mention her mother having the event, but we never went to them. Took years before she recognized our family, as family. That was pretty much the last few years of her life. 

Our family had little, but we had each other/learned to work early/be independent, and we had no animus towards my grandmother or our other relatives. I learned at an early age that some had more than others, but we had all we needed to be a close family in our Projects Apartment.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  John, that would be Holloman Air Force Base in Alamogordo.  Still alive and doing business. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Thank you for that information. I was 5 at the time and I can only remember bits and pieces of it. I don't remember the wedding at all, maybe my mom didn't take me. 

I remember after being in New Mexico, we went to San Francisco, to visit with, who I now know, was my step brother. I knew him only by name, but when I was older, my mom told me he was her son.

Appreciate your reply.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)