Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a real Italian antipasta

@151949 wrote:

@Deb665 wrote:

What a wonderful memory!  Thank you for sharing with us!

I understand what you mean about the olive oil dripping...I'm Southern and we love our fresh corn on the cob with lots of butter!  (No judgements please!). You can't bite into the corn without that butter running down your chin!  LOL

Every year we can't wait for the corn to start coming to market - then we pig out on it while it lasts.I'm glad I'm not so uptight that I'd miss a great experience over a little food  getting on my chin.

*cue banjos*Smiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Very HappySmiley Tongue

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@151949

My grandmother and my mother came to the United States from Italy. My grandmother might have had the big shindig you describe, but we were never invited. After all, we lived in the Public Housing Projects, and my grandmother was well known figure in the city across the river. No way she wanted anyone to see us.

My mother had her own antipasta, and to me, that was the real antipasta. All I know is we all loved it, and it was the real thing!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@151949

My grandmother and my mother came to the United States from Italy. My grandmother might have had the big shindig you describe, but we were never invited. After all, we lived in the Public Housing Projects, and my grandmother was well known figure in the city across the river. No way she wanted anyone to see us.

My mother had her own antipasta, and to me, that was the real antipasta. All I know is we all loved it, and it was the real thing!

hckynut(john)

How sad ,she treated your family that way.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@tansy

Yes, I had a knee replacement 11 years ago, MD messed around about doing it so long because 'I wasn't old enough'.  Eventually it became infected & then it had to be done under not good emergency conditions.

Now it is loose,  makes it very unstable to walk on.  It must be replaced, but NOT by the original Ortho.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

@Drythe, thanks for the info.  I'm dreading going in to see the ortho about this and am wondering about choosing a different surgeon.  Good luck with your new ortho search and I'd love it if you let me know how it all goes for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am familiar with going to restaurants and being served antipasta as an appetizer - or first course. BUT that is not what I'm discussing in the OP. This is the meal. All that is served. IT is HUGE. You couldn't possibly eat this and then eat other courses. This is a meal served on hot , steamy summer days when you don't want to cook or eat hot food. I still have the large round  tray my gram would serve this on - it is over 3 ft across. The only other thing was a tub of ice with wine, water and beer in it, and eventually a tray of cookies would be brought out. As I said in the OP - I doubt many Americans would have ever seen this and so would not understand the concept.I tried to explain the concept, but I suppose I failed. It is more than foods & eating.It is FAMILY. It a FEELING. For a child it is feeling part of this wonderful group of people you love, of total love & acceptance & security.

@151949  I think you did a wonderful job of describing this family tradition.  I can actually picture the whole scenario taking place as I read it.......from the meal, to the time in the amusement park with your grandparents, and your parents dancing the night away all the while you children were there to see.   What you have shared in this thread is a beautiful compilation of memories of family times.  How many children would love these experiences??  Too many today are too busy.  You were blessed.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs  Until I read this board I never realized how many people never grew up in families the same as mine. Did our family have their problems - sure - everyone does. But the good way way way overshadowed the bad. We were blessed. I think the most important things you give a child are love & security, and we had those in spades.

Honored Contributor

My bff in high school and through our early 20's was Italian American and most of the older ones were from Italy.  Yes, I have had authentic antipasto platters. It's antipasto, not antipasta.  I've had them in italian restaurants too but I never saw any piggy type behavior.  I've never experience people acting like animals with olive oil drippy down their faces and the food never dripped with olive oil.  Yes, the platters are artfully arranged with a wide assortment of italian meats and cheeses and veggies and olives and amazing breads and rolls.  Yes, there is olive oil for dipping and drizzling, if you want too.  Not everyone does.  Fruit platters and platters of italian cookies and cakes for dessert.  I've done many an antipasto in my day but it's very expensive to do and it's hard now to find authentic italian meats, cheeses and sausages.  The owners got older and passed away or moved away.  The stores have been replaced by Starbucks, Dominos or some other chain establishment. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@tansy

Yes, I had a knee replacement 11 years ago, MD messed around about doing it so long because 'I wasn't old enough'.  Eventually it became infected & then it had to be done under not good emergency conditions.

Now it is loose,  makes it very unstable to walk on.  It must be replaced, but NOT by the original Ortho.

Sorry you are dealing with this.

@Drythe, thanks for the info.  I'm dreading going in to see the ortho about this and am wondering about choosing a different surgeon.  Good luck with your new ortho search and I'd love it if you let me know how it all goes for you.

@tansy

Don't delay until it gets infected - so much worse!  

Ask - that's what I did, found one who specializes in replacemants.  I asked my rheumatologist - great help, ask friends who've had it, ask your other docs, call the orthopedic department of the hospital you use and ask if some one there specializes in replacements.

Best wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I've never had real antipasta, but it sounds great.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This entire thread sounds soooooo delicious!....Loved reading all of your replies as I salivated away!...lol...Guess what I'm going to make a huge platter of this coming weekend?...I'll do my best and be very creative....love this kind of eating with lots of veggies, fruits, fresh breads and Italian meats!

I just wish fresh corn on the cob were available now, as @Deb665 post had me also drooling wih butter running down my chin....lol

Oh and the poster that mentioned "Italian Wedding Soup"....I'm also going to cook that up in my crockpot!

Thanks to all of you for helping me with my weekend menu!

Bon Appetit!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~