Frequent Contributor

Re: Have you ever gone (walked) down into a cave?

Lots of faves from Georgia to Hawaii. Ice caves are beautiful butt prone to landslides. Lava tubes are cool. Old gold mining caves in Georgia are so cool on a hot summer's day.
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal 

When my children were young, we went to the Polar Caves in New Hampshire. No bats.

Many times since the 1970's, I have gone to the Crystal

Caves in Bermuda. Just beautiful and no bats.See the beautiful pictures online of Crystal Caves and Fantasy Caves.

There are two caves at Grotto Bay in Bermuda. In 1984,

my youngest daughter and I went to one of the caves which was a disco. Now, it is a spa for massages.

In 2011 my middle daughter and I stayed at Grotto Bay

and she swam in the cave there, that is open for swimming.

No bats at either cave.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, always on tours with a group of people, starting when I was 10 years old on vacation. Love looking at the strange beauty down there.

Funny thing, caves don't give me claustrophobia, but just thinking about being in a submarine makes me nervous and short of breath.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Sure plenty of times. On field trips for school and on vacations. What I find fascinating is how the temperature changes so much once you get far enough underground in some of those caves.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have been in many caves.  I find them extremely interesting.  The ones in Asia are really something.  People actually lived in them at one time.

I wouldn't really call the  Cu Chi tunnels in Viet Nam natural caves, but they are a wonder. They are 75 miles long.

You enter by going underground in a 12" x12" square in the earth. once you are in there, you move through a series of tunnels that open up in to full size rooms.  From there you can travel down another opening to reach some more tunnels and rooms.

These are man made.  You can be many stories down in the earth.  Ventilation is done by bringing pipes up to the surface that look like termite hills on the outside.

I was happy I am short,  I mostly just had to bend over to walk through the tunnels, but some places are so low, that even I had to crawl on my hands and knees.

They are the most amazing man made underground caves I have ever visited.

188F4D5C-AC9E-4BF5-B26A-86D0845834B1.jpegC6173FA9-82B0-40B1-8EC4-2142EE93D453.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

When our children were young, we took them to Penn's cave in Centre Hall, PA.  It's a boat tour through the cave.  Abosolutely lovely!

@Kalli - We visited there too! The guys like the science of it; DD and I like the beauty and the historical story. We've been to a few. That was the only one where we got to enjoy a ride. One we climbed into was small but interesting. The guide showed us where Native Americans once had a settlement. It was a very small area. I always enjoy caves, but I always get dripped on!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Once, can't remember where though. Kentucky or Tennessee.  It was lit and the walkway path was hewen but there were many interesting formations to see.  Who knew you'd find a honeychomb pattern of rock underground?  Nature has it's standards I suppose.  They sat us down and turned out the light for a minute.  Pitch black.  Enveloping dark.  Very cool experiance.  It was not so close as to make you think you'd get stuck somewhere. Just a little scramble over or thruogh a formation or two.  Enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

My late hubby and I went several time to our local ice caves, amazing!

https://www.awesomemitten.com/grand-island-ice-caves/?fbclid=IwAR1XNPBXTk9qk_1ja22aOM1QiUOqqO45bYIIy...

I looked that up @northiie57  and we've never done that.  It would be cool!!!

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
I’ve been to a couple of caves and they were dark & damp but not uncomfortable for me. I just came back from Croatia & went to a cave; we listened to a concert & the acoustics were wonderful. However, what was impressive, tho not a cave, located 135 meters (443 ft) underground was the Wieliczka salt mine in Poland. A whole cathedral, which holds mass, carved from salt. There are carvings as you walk along the passages also carved from salt. We walked down but, luckily, took the elevator back up. I understand there is a wellness spa even further down.

@Stray  Wow, very interesting!!

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

I went into a famous cave in Jamaica.  The humidity in the cave was permanently changed because in the 1960's it was used as a disco and the humidity was permanently raised to an unpleasant level because of all the sweaty people.  There were definitely bats.  

I went into a cave in Ireland that had a prehistoric fossilized bear bed - yes, back in the day Ireland had bears.

Do sinkholes in Mexico count?  That's a wonderful experience.

@stuyvesant  Well now, I think it would be so interesting to hear about the sinkhole adventure.  I couldn't handle that one either.