Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you ever gone (walked) down into a cave?

I went into a famous cave in Jamaica.  The humidity in the cave was permanently changed because in the 1960's it was used as a disco and the humidity was permanently raised to an unpleasant level because of all the sweaty people.  There were definitely bats.  

I went into a cave in Ireland that had a prehistoric fossilized bear bed - yes, back in the day Ireland had bears.

Do sinkholes in Mexico count?  That's a wonderful experience.

Frequent Contributor

Mammoth  Cave, Kentucky.

We took a group tour, four hours, with a National Park ranger providing history along the way.

Found it fascinating that huts were built inside the cave for tuberculosis patients in the 1800s. The patients actually lived in the cave. It was believed that the constant temperature and air inside the cave would provide comfort and cure for those afflicted. The effect was the opposite, so the experiment did not last long.

Honored Contributor

Cave of the Winds near Colorado Springs. It's sort of touristy and a bit cheesy with all of the lights, walkways and stairs inside the cave. But it was fun.

Honored Contributor

I was in a cave once but, while I can actually still picture the area, I don't remember where it was.  I think somewhere in N NV.

I've also done cave dives (underwater caves).   

I'm just a little bit claustrophobic, so I can do it if it's a bit roomy.  But one cave dive was a bit small and I signaled to my dive buddy that I was going to back out and wait outside for everybody.    I knew the further in I got the more I would anguish and that's not a good thing on a dive.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska and walked down in quite a few caves, ice tunnels and glacier caverns. Also around Anchorage. Magnificent and a little scary. Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and some lesser known caves. 

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

Was sent to Fort Carson Colorado for 2 week US Army Summer Camp in about 1962. Didn't have my car so went into different towns with a soldier from Kansas.

He wanted to visit The Cave of the Winds, so we went there and took their tour. Never been claustrophobic so that wasn't a problem for either of us. Was interesting to see all the different formations for sure. Don't recall any bats, but that was a long time ago.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi 

I've been through part of Mammoth Cave too! I loved it! 

Trusted Contributor

Have been in Carlsbad Caverns many times..lived close by in the '80s and friends and relatives always wanted to go there. Also have been to Tuckaleechee in Tennessee and some caves in south Texas whose name escapes me....not claustrophobic, but was always glad to be up and out of them ASAP. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Natural Bridge Caverns in San Antonio, beautiful.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal Would RUBY FALLS count?