Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you ever gone (walked) down into a cave?

[ Edited ]

Yes. Carlsbad....Kartchner...Howe Caverns...and Cave of the Winds..in New Mexico...Arizona...New York...and Colorado....  Beautiful...and not claustrophobic for me...DW

Respected Contributor

I have been in too many to even list.  I live in Missouri, and we are known as the cave state.  I have been in several caves in Arkansas, too.  I love them!

Honored Contributor

No, I haven't am way too claustrophobic for that , but they do look beautiful and very interesting!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Luray Caverns in Virginia.

Respected Contributor

I tried once, many years ago, and just couldn't go more than a few feet in--even though it was very tall & wide. Too claustrophobic!

I get sweaty palms just watching people explore caves on TV...especially if they have to squeeze through a narrow area.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty ---I went there too!! It was amazing and I didn't think it was claustrophic at all---got "kissed" 4 times from the stalagtites dripping  in the different rooms---would go back again in a heartbeat!!

Honored Contributor

Mammoth Cave many years ago.  I was OK with that one.  My sister moved on to one of those you crawl through.  I was quite content to sit with her 10 year old son and wait.  I'm surprised she didn't take the kid through.  I get more squeamish watching this stuff on TV now than I did back then.  Now if I really want to suffer I would sky dive.  Heights totally skeeve me out.  Not for 10 million dollars.

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

No thanks!  I can think of better things to do.  Besides, it feels like I've been living in a cave for two years as it is.

Best post of the morning!!  🤣

Yes on the caves. Mammoth and Luray Caverns

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I went on a guided tour through the Glenwood Caverns, Glenwood Springs, Colorado. I was more afraid of the bus ride up the mountainside to get to the caverns. And then back down. It was a long.. narrow.. gravel road.. with no railings! 

Glenwood Caverns opens more caves to tourists – The Denver Post

Glenwood Caverns one of USA Today's top U.S. caves | PostIndependent.com

Glenwood Caverns (caves), Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, Glenwood  Springs, Colorado USA | Blaine Harrington III

NCA Archives - Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park

Now you ride up the mountain on the Glenwood Gondola..Just as Scary!!!

Iron Mountain Tramway Celebrates 15 Years!

Respected Contributor

When our children were young, we took them to Penn's cave in Centre Hall, PA.  It's a boat tour through the cave.  Abosolutely lovely! 

Went to Rushmore Cave, Black Hills, SD.  A walking tour down into cave.  At some points I almost had to turn my body sideways to get through, and I'm what most folks consider to be petite.  Very claustrophobic.  But once we got past that part and entered the larger rooms, that feeling of being hemmed in on all sides faded.  Beautiful! So glad I went on that tour.  Probably wouldn't do it again, though.