Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever gone (walked) down into a cave?

Once again, I'm blown away by all the visits people have made to caves!! Thanks for your posts, totally amazing.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

I went into a famous cave in Jamaica.  The humidity in the cave was permanently changed because in the 1960's it was used as a disco and the humidity was permanently raised to an unpleasant level because of all the sweaty people.  There were definitely bats.  

I went into a cave in Ireland that had a prehistoric fossilized bear bed - yes, back in the day Ireland had bears.

Do sinkholes in Mexico count?  That's a wonderful experience.

@stuyvesant  Well now, I think it would be so interesting to hear about the sinkhole adventure.  I couldn't handle that one either.  

@qualitygal you could handle this sink hole.  It's very tourist friendly, but does give you an idea of what it was like to drop a rope down and have fun in the crystal clear water back in the day.

One of the things you do in Cancun is visit the famous ruins at Chichen Itza.  That's a world class historic site that nobody really associates with the party hearty resorts at Cancun.

The way it works - you get on a bus and travel into the jungle on good roads because all of Cancun was created to generate tourist dolllars.  You stop for lunch at a center that serves an extensive lunch included in the price  of the trip where you are entertained by native Mexican dancing (colorful costumes!) and plenty of time to buy local crafts and souvenirs.

Then Chichen  Itza.  Absolutely spectacular.

On the way back to the hotel you stop at the sink hole.  You walk down some stairs, there's a place to change into a bathing suit, and you swim, lie on your back, and look up at the cave.  The place is full of light because of the artful lighting and I believe you could drink that water - that's how clear it is.

I've done this tour twice and I think they are constantly working on improving the tourist experience.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been to Kartchner Caverns here in AZ. 

Also, when I was in college, we'd go hiking to Bronson Caves, which is near Griffith Park in Hollywood.  Lots of old movies & TV shows (like Star Trek & Bonanza, etc.) have been filmed in & around these man-made caves, I think it was a gravel pit originally. 

ETA:  There's a great view of the Hollywood sign from near the caves.  You walk out on a little spot & turn around & look over your right shoulder & Bam! there it is!

Trusted Contributor

Yes, when I was young; didn't enjoy can't imagine doing it now.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

I don't think l ever have. Trying to remember when l was a teen but l don't think so. Now I'm way too claustrophobic!

@qualitygal 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Once with my family when I was about 16.  I wasn't claustrophic at that time and it was really interesting and fun.  I couldn't do it now that's for sure, as I am horribly claustrophic!!!!  

Like @AngelPuppy1 I went down into caves when I was younger ... I think around 13-14 or so. It was in southern Oregon and the family was on a long road trip. I really found it fascinating.

But no way could I do it now as I've become claustrophobic. I made the HUGE mistake of opening my eyes while I was having a MRI done. Oh my word. I will have to be drugged to have another closed MRI and there is no chance of me going into a cave of any kind ... below ground or open. And people who go into underwater caves? Good gracious, no darn way.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 

That's me, too!  I get anxious just thinking about MRI's!  Ewwww! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Occasional Contributor

Yes I have, and it was a pretty weird experience. What bothered me was the dark; they had strung lights in it but I was still afraid I'd step somewhere wrong and possibly break a body part. But I might try it again if I could.

Honored Contributor

Yes, once when I was young and STUPID.   My brothers and I found a cave in the side of the hill of the neighbors property that joined Grandpa's farm.

Thankfully the dampness and many smells inside made me uncomfortable enough to realize I shouldn't be there, so I crawled out.       My brothers came out as well, and we never went back.   

I often wonder if the bears we have in this neighborhood use that cave.   

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, in Hawaii.  It was really cool.