Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever been up in a helicopter?

[ Edited ]

Yes. It was fun.  The one we went up in looked like the picture posted here (like a glass bubble).  The only bad thing....if he hadn't put down when he did, I would have lost my stomach.... if you know what I mean.  We went up on a turbulant day.   I don't think I would have had a problem if the weather had been better.  I would never do it again, on a windy gusty day.  Getting sick does take a bit of enjoyment out of it.  

Esteemed Contributor

No!  No small planes for me.  My sister's next door neighbor had a waterplane.  One morning he and 4 passengers were just taking off, the plane malfuctioned, nose-dived and they all drowned.  Tragic.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I took a helicopter tour while on vacation in Hawaii.  We were in Kauai and we got to see parts of the island that were only accessible by boat or air.  The scenery over the Na Pali coast was breathtaking.  Definitely felt different than being in a plane.  Take off felt like we were hovering, but it was amazing when we could fly down into the valleys and above waterfalls.  The funny part was checking in - we had to be weighed before we took off and were seated in the front or back based on our weight.  As much as I loved it, once was enough!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, come on!!    For those that think it's even possible ... no, you won't get beheaded!   (How do people even come up with this stuff?)

I've ridden in both regular and military helicopters, hot air balloons and small single engine planes.  Loved them all.  The small plane was a return flight to Moab, Utah after 5 days of river rafting and mountain climbing, ending at Lake Powell.   We retraced our trip and saw it from the sky.   

Frankly, I think I loved the hot air ballooning the best ..... the scenery was really gorgeous and the trip was silent ... no engines.    

They were all fun in their own way and it's nice to have new experiences.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I took a helicopter ride from a resort in the countryside of Puerto Rico to the San Juan Airport, many years ago. I really enjoyed it. The view was great and the ride was smoother than I thought it would be. I'm glad we chose the helicopter since a car ride to the airport would have been far more dangerous.

Respected Contributor

Yes, my DH and I flew in a helicopter over Sedona, AZ while there on a vacation.  I LOVED IT!  Great memories!

Esteemed Contributor

In 1985 Niagara Falls on the Canandian side.  I don't remember a thing! I was terrified.

Honored Contributor

Valued Contributor

Never have wanted to ride a helicopter. The reasoning being, for 20+ years, my husband worked and flew different helicopters in the military, that in all was enough stress.