Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever been up in a helicopter?

@LyndaGee wrote:

My mother used to work for United Tech/Sikorsky and one time, she won a free helicopter ride.  I went with - I was around 9.  As I recall, it was fun but not a smooth ride.  They took us all around Fairfield County, CT.

My ex worked at Bridgeport Tower (early 80's)...Sikorsky was right there!  I'm from Westchester County (NY).

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

NOPE!  Too scared that the propellers will chop off my head getting on or getting off. peep.gif

Me too!!!!

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have. I have been in  Huey and  Black Hawk helicopters many times.  In the Huey, I was a "pretend" patient for evacuation pilot training exercises, that was fun, as I got to hang out of the open door and take pictures.  The Black Hawk rides were while a pilot was training to land and take off from an airport runway. Those helicopters are fantastic, very powerful and very smooth. (I am ex-military.)

If you get the chance to go up in one, take it, the pilots are extremely well trained, especially if they are retired military.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my no.  Not afraid of getting beheaded, just afraid that I would die on the spot once in the air.

Now, if someone I loved really really really needed me and a helicopter was the only way for me to get to him or her, I would do it. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Neat!  I don't think the Bridgeport plant exists anymore.  Not sure.  My Mom worked at the Stratford plant.

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

My mother used to work for United Tech/Sikorsky and one time, she won a free helicopter ride.  I went with - I was around 9.  As I recall, it was fun but not a smooth ride.  They took us all around Fairfield County, CT.

My ex worked at Bridgeport Tower (early 80's)...Sikorsky was right there!  I'm from Westchester County (NY).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, and i loved it, it was great i sat up front with pilot ,it had a glass floor,it was in Hawaii, on the island  kawai my husband hated it,he was scared,i could not understand why,i thought it was so exciting,we flew between mountains,down in valleys over water falls.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

No.  I always wanted to, but never did.  Never did parasailing either, but though a BFF told me it was great, never wanted to.  Gone hot-air ballooning a couple of times though and enjoyed that.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I was flown in a 10 passenger one to an off shore oil platform off Venice LA many years ago.   DH is currently a helicopter flight instructor and I've been the litte two seater like pictured by another poster here.   They are fun and safe!!!!

Honored Contributor

My neighbor has one.  I have been up with them a few times.  The views over the Puget Sound are unbelievable.  

Valued Contributor

Yes, 3 times.  Twice in Hawii (canyon in Kauii and Big Island Volcano), once in Alaska (Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau).  Some of the greatest experiences in my life.  Absolutely breathtaking.   Go for it!