Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever been involved with a sociopath?

On 3/9/2015 brewhaha said:

Everytime I look in the mirror.

LOL !!

Respected Contributor

I never had any problem extricating myself from a bad scene or weirdness. Never hung around long enough to know if they were a sociopath. Have always been a really strong woman that needed very little prodding or dialogue when it came to setting myself free.
By the time the other person came home from work I was packed and gone with no forwarding address.

Respected Contributor

OP so 30 years ago was 1985? Then who was the first husband you married to in 1970 and bought two homes with for three years?

Honored Contributor

Anyway, thanks for prompting me to go to the Psychology Today . com website. I'm going to check that site daily. I don't see any place to sign up for newsletters, so far. Maybe I'll run into an email newsletter option at a later date. Sometimes they just 'pop up'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Cakers1 said:

A diagnosis cannot be made on one trait, such as lying. Adult children of alcoholics often have that trait.

I'm not sure why the OP feels her ex was a sociopath, but I'm certainly glad she found a better life.

All the best to you ckr.

This is true. Not every manipulative liar is a sociopath. (In fact, very few of these are likely true sociopaths.) There is much, much more that goes into this diagnosis. I've worked in mental health for over a decade, often with a forensic population, and can tell you that I've probably worked with less than 2 dozen (or so) within that time frame. Also, I'll add that Psychology Today is not a very well respected publication in the mental health field.

Super Contributor

On 3/9/2015 Colonel Meow said:

A diagnosis cannot be made on one trait, such as lying. Adult children of alcoholics often have that trait.

I'm not sure why the OP feels her ex was a sociopath, but I'm certainly glad she found a better life.

All the best to you ckr.

This is true. Not every manipulative liar is a sociopath. (In fact, very few of these are likely true sociopaths.) There is much, much more that goes into this diagnosis. I've worked in mental health for over a decade, often with a forensic population, and can tell you that I've probably worked with less than 2 dozen (or so) within that time frame. Also, I'll add that Psychology Today is not a very well respected publication in the mental health field.

CM: The APA owned it back in the 80's. I used to subscribe back then when I was in grad school. I don't know about it today in terms of reliability, but it was designed more for the general public to understand psy topics. I haven't read it in decades.

Super Contributor

All the best to you ckr.

CM: The APA owned it back in the 80's. I used to subscribe back then when I was in grad school. I don't know about it today in terms of reliability, but it was designed more for the general public to understand psy topics. I haven't read it in decades.

I think this would be a very accurate way of describing it, Cakers. Not saying, of course, that it is a "bad" source of information - only that it presents topics in a very basic conceptual format that can (at times) trivialize the subject matter.

Honored Contributor

I think this would be a very accurate way of describing it, Cakers. Not saying, of course, that it is a "bad" source of information - only that it presents topics in a very basic conceptual format that can (at times) trivialize the subject matter.

Couple the magazine/journal with Psych 101 and you can be an expert here.

Super Contributor

On 3/9/2015 lulu2 said:

Couple the magazine/journal with Psych 101 and you can be an expert here.

Image result for lucy peanuts psychiatrist

Honored Contributor

No
hckynut(john)