Super Contributor

Re: Have you ever been involved with a sociopath?

Yes; he was my father. Fortunately he disappeared from my life early on but then my drunken, bipolar mother took over.

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 Colonel Meow said:
On 3/11/2015 HonnyBrown said:

HB - I've given up on this thread, and I think you probably should, too (lol)!

Meow, you are too funny!

The majority of people do offer good information. Something is wrong with my coworker. I have to work with her, so "divorce" is not an option. I'm seeing excellent advice on how to deal with her.

My frustration with this thread (and why I simply throw my hands up) is that folks are speaking authoritatively on mental health diagnoses using anecdotal "evidence", pop psychology, and resources intended to pique the layman's passing curiosity. To my knowledge, no one on this thread is a psychiatrist or psychologist.

This thread would have been more aptly titled as "Have you ever been involved with a manipulative liar?", and left it at that. But, if you've found advice here that you think will help in your personal situation, then I am glad for you. Smile

Speaking only for myself (as I agree with your points), the person I was involved with was diagnosed as a sociopath.

And not by me, but by a professional. So, some of us may very well know that yes, we have been involved with a sociopath. But yes also, not all disordered personalities are sociopaths.

I have subsequently read a lot about disordered personalities, but I would never diagnose someone myself and certainly not on a bulletin board.

Super Contributor

KittyLou - thanks for understanding my point. And your last sentence is golden.

Super Contributor

Agree about the last sentence. And yet we see it all the time around here.

Super Contributor

Sentence is golden.

Wasn't that a song?

Oh, wait. That was silence.

Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2015 HonnyBrown said:
On 3/10/2015 Love Roses said:
My husband has a nephew who is a sociopath. By his step sister. The guy is in prison for life and that's where he belongs. We've learned a lot about sociopathic behavior just knowing about him. We aren't MD's with qualifications for psychologist, neuroscience, etc. - we don't have to be to know when wrong is wrong and criminal is criminal. god given common sense will let you know things without degrees and pedigrees.

And no one is asking you to diagnose, treat or cure your nephew! Are they?

Didn't think they were. The authorities have diagnosed him.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/10/2015 hyacinth003 said:
The things I have seen with this person (male):

No conscience, morals, or shame

You CANNOT shame him

Thinks "the rules" don't apply to him

Lashes out strongly when confronted with lies or other wrongdoing

Never takes responsibility for his actions

Always the fault of someone else

Even when caught, doubles down on lashing out

Can take a tiny piece of truth and tell lies all around it

Thinks he's the smartest guy in the room (and world!)

Underestimates intelligence of others

Lacks empathy or real emotion

Cares about no one other than himself deep down

Takes awhile for people to be "on to" him

These are but a few of the things I have observed in this person!

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Your statements describe a co-worker where I volunteer to a tee. I see and know them as they are and others (oh so professional) just mop us his syrupy b.s. to them. I keep away from him.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Even though we aren't professionals, sometimes we can be on the alert regarding certain personalities. Anyway, that's what we learned in our psych classes. Some classes were required classes, not necessarily taken only by students who were going to become professionals.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I think your inner hink-o-meter goes off regardless of classes. Unfortunately, some dismiss it or ignore it.

Honored Contributor

Cakers: You're absolutely correct. Just saying that one doesn't necessarily have to have a paper degree to spot certain personality types that can possibly be harmful, or at the very least, cumbersome in our lives. Also, some might not be aware, at all. Sometimes these discussions/threads do help to alert us regarding other folks' real life experiences with people.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).