Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever been in a real haunted house?

@Citrine1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

not that i know of, but i have been interested in going to the eastern state penitentiary in philadelphia. has anyone ever been there?

I've never been there myself @sunshine45, but my daughter has been there a few times around Halloween.  They always host a haunted house type event.  This year it's called "Terror behind the walls".  They have various haunted attractions and scary people.  

That's all I know about the penitentiary.  Is it rumored to be haunted?

@Citrine1

yes,  television shows/documentaries have been done about it. that is what initially got me interested in wanting to go there. it was a "prison of horrors."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yikes.  Sounds too scary for me @sunshine45.  "Haunted" and "horror" aren't my thing. Woman LOL

edited for spelling error

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Yikes.  Sounds too scary for me @sunshine45.  "Haunted" and "horror" aren't my thing. Woman LOL

edited for spelling error

honestly @Citrine1 they are not really mine either, but something about the history and possible "spirits" there somehow intrigues me, possible because i know that the prison has a lot of history behind it. i would probably go on a daytime tour. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@cherry

Not sure what you mean by "a real haunted house", and qualifies a house to meet those terms. I have been in houses that by those in the area of the houses claimed were haunted(these were also unoccupied).

• We used to go when it was dark, with a flashlight, and walking through old/deserted/big(huge) houses sure felt like they were haunted. I however didn't see any ghosts, but did hear strange noises. However, when our group split up? Were some jokesters among my buddies, so who knows?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know if I have been in a haunted house.

I know that the town where I grew up in, in the upper midwest. a very stately mansion was supposedly haunted. it was such a beautiful house. massive, old. first house in my town to get electric and gas into the house.

if it was haunted that i don't know.

I do believe a little in hauntings, not sure all that is on t.v. is really true.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think this qualifies as a haunted house but I saw the ghost of a cat we had owned in our previous home.  My daughter saw it then I saw it.  Absolutely no doubt in my mind what I saw. Until it happens to you,you can be a sceptic or nonbeliever...but just wait.

Spoiler

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

I've never experienced a sighting or paranormal incidence but I do believe strongly that deathbed visions have some validity. For example, the instances where mothers or fathers see their child just killed in battle at the end of the bed or in the area even though the son (or daughter) was miles away at the time of death. Our bodies are full of electricity, and radio and tv waves broacast over the airwaves. Seemed to me that a catastrophic shock could project an image to a close loved one.  (Just my thoughts.)

I should add that although I've never seen a ghost I've had 6 cats who saw many! And freaked me out royally every time.......nothing like lying on the couch watching tv and the cat by your feet sits up straight, looks directly behind you and goes into freak out mode....do I look behind me or do I just pray....lol!

Respected Contributor

No haunted houses for me.  Even though I've experienced unexplainable spiritual events, I'm careful to not assign more to them than what I can know for a fact.  At this point, I only know that energy and thought have power and probably dissipate within minutes after death although in one of my experiences it was stretched to 3 days.  I can't extract more than that.   None of us know and nobody is coming back from the dead to tell us all about it or we would know, wouldn't we. (not a question)  Humans have always looked for magical visions and answers that fit what made sense to them and have been very creative with grand ideas. 

I think thought-energy is extremely fleeting, either you grasp it as it breezes by or you've missed it entirely, and somehow it may be that way for our individual energies when they are set free -- or also when you are thinking about someone, the phone rings and there they are.

Regular Contributor

Yes  my grandmothers home,,,So many stories, My daughter and her family bought the home and  made many improvements.....the home was over a hundred years old two story beautiful.....at different times in her life my grandmother would rent out part of the home for income. renters who at one time lived there woud drop by and ask are the ghosts still here?   Several years ago the home burned down while my daughter visited me.NEVER KNEW WHAT  CAUSED THE FIRE,BUT husband  and I had a visitor at our home at the foot of the BED asking questions why he was burned out of his home most awful looking thing you could possible imagine........never again do I EVER HOPE TO SEE THIS AGAIN......FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS TO UNDERSTAND.......Daughter bought new home and none of us have ever been bothered again.      

Super Contributor

My husband and I toured the Winchester House in CA when we lived near it many years ago. It was a very interesting tour, but nothing happened while we were there. As I recall, the story of the house is that Mrs. Winchester believed the house was haunted by all of the people killed by the rifles her huband's company had made. The guide said that after Mrs. Winchester died, people believed she haunted the house.