Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever FIRED a Contractor?

DH and I only hire highly reputable and five star reviewed contractors for all jobs.  They must be insured and the company must have a long and strong reputation in the community. We always ask previous clients their experiences with the contractor as well.  We might pay a bit more for excellence, but in the end it is always worth it.

Too many people want to do everything as cheaply as possible, and then complain because the workers (and the work) are second-rate.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

DH and I only hire highly reputable and five star reviewed contractors for all jobs.  They must be insured and the company must have a long and strong reputation in the community. We always ask previous clients their experiences with the contractor as well.  We might pay a bit more for excellence, but in the end it is always worth it.

Too many people want to do everything as cheaply as possible, and then complain because the workers (and the work) are second-rate.

I whole-heartedly agree, we get what we pay for.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 

you're welcome!  I will say these workers wore MASKS and never entered the home without one.  

In fact, they even chopped up the tile floors (putting them a day behind schedule) when we weren't home knowing my spouse is on oxygen -- they were concerned the dust would be a problem for him.  When we returned they had taken the tiles out and the area was vacumned and you'd never know we had tiles on the floor.

(I know these people so I was very comfortable allowing them to work in my home while we were not here)

Hope you get to find the right contractor and your projects move ahead.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like you've been on the ropes!  That must be awful.  I had to chase one away that after the job, he kept hounding me but to "change horses in mid stream" that's a tough one and although I never had to face that "yet", I would NOT want to.

I'm so sorry I cannot help because I have no experience with that but you have my sympathy, seriously. XO

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@RinaRina 

When I did my kitchen reno this company came "recommended" by others who got kitchens done very reasonable.  The OWNER turned out to be a total Ahole - we had many disagreements YET the workers were wonderful.

After I thought about it - i had paid in full for the all the materials and at that price couldn't take a chance of him bailing!  Who knows if they'd ever come back! (Seems to happen alot in FL take you $$ and not return to do work)

Watch Judge Judy there's always someone with a "bad" contractor story!

I learned my lesson after the kitchen to only hire licensed, bonded and insured contractors who really HAD LICENSE AND REFERENCES.

I've used the same guy for the last 4 major renovations I did and yes, not cheap but worth the "peace of mind".

My flooring was completed yesterday and as always, to perfection!!

Oh, my!  If I were going to have anything done that required a contractor, I would sit down and talk it over VERY carefully and have an understanding that NO money exchanges hands until work is complete.  If they do not agree, then adiose.  Sorry for misspelling.  One must be extremely careful as there are ripoff artists galore.  Good luck on your next project.  Thanks for telling your story. 

Respected Contributor

I hired a company to do work on my backroom when my neighbors tree limb went thru my roof. The third time my neighbors tree had dropped limbs in my yard and now my house so I wasn't happy anyway.

The insurance was paying for it but after a couple of months of waiting for the work to be done it looked terrible. Late workers, shabby job, etc etc. I called the company and said I wasn't paying them because of the work. The manager brought his boss out to check the work and even he agreed it wasn't good. Of course they wanted to fix it and I said no. I had taken lots of pictures and done my homework.

After lots of phone calls and letters back and forth they finally left me alone and ate the bill.

That was great but I still ended up with a crummy job. It still looks the same and I don't care. I was over it. It was the backroom anyway where the w/d and furnace are kept. 

Respected Contributor

we "fired" each other. does that help?

Seriously, we could not agree so he packed up and left and I sent him a letter letting him know, officially, we wouldn't be needing his services any more.