Honored Contributor

Re: Have you dined inside a restaurant

@Sapphiregal   I understand your pov on this topic and it would be nice if everyone could afford to eat out -either indoors, outdoors, or take-out.

Yet many people have had their own income reduced and one must pick and choose priorities right now.

Since DH and I very seldom eat out, it isn't upon us to start now.  It's our preference based on preferring home cooking for my enjoying cooking and for healthy eating reasons.

People are scared, and rightfully so.  Even with take-out there is no guarantee of safe handling of your food and that really is not an unreasonable concern.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

If you live in a very small town in a remote area that has not had a major outbreak, I think your answer to any Covid topic is going to be very different than those of us who live in or near cities that have had Covid outbreaks.

And we are not going to understand each other at all. What I say to someone from the middle of rural Idaho is going to sound bizarre to them, and what they say to me living just outside Nashville is going to sound off the wall to me.

If you are in an area without a big Covid outbreak, Covid is genuinely not impinging on your daily life--yet--and hopefully never will. That is a valid viewpoint, but it has no relation to what any of us in or near hotspots ought to be doing.

@Porcelain, we should call this newest difference The Great Pandemic Divide, eh? Smiley Happy

Except this one can change on a dime.

Which it did for us.  We had an extremely low Covid problem for a long time, like 2 cases until one or more private club members felt it their right to play cards and drink unmasked and from there it spread across our small community to the point nobody feels as safe as we once felt at our local places.  What is it about stubborn men who feel entitled to the right to endanger everyone else?  Now our kids who could have been in their classrooms aren't safe there.  Because those guys had to play cards unmasked while everyone else was trying so hard to keep us all safe.  It's beyond infuriating.  But the damage is done and a couple people have died.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

If you live in a very small town in a remote area that has not had a major outbreak, I think your answer to any Covid topic is going to be very different than those of us who live in or near cities that have had Covid outbreaks.

And we are not going to understand each other at all. What I say to someone from the middle of rural Idaho is going to sound bizarre to them, and what they say to me living just outside Nashville is going to sound off the wall to me.

If you are in an area without a big Covid outbreak, Covid is genuinely not impinging on your daily life--yet--and hopefully never will. That is a valid viewpoint, but it has no relation to what any of us in or near hotspots ought to be doing.

@Porcelain, we should call this newest difference The Great Pandemic Divide, eh? Smiley Happy

I agree. The idea is to prevent any relatively untouched area from becoming a hotspot by taking precautions. I think that message is better suited for people in remote areas.

They look around them and what they see doesn't match up with what they hear is going on elsewhere, and they get the impression it will only ever be a problem 'over there' and won't ever touch them. No one is talking calmly to them about prevention. They are hearing the same urgent warnings that are more appropriate to the rest of us.

Shouting only works when there really is an actual fire in the actual building you are actually in. For everyone else, calm positive directions and encouragement to be proactive and safe (and wearing a mask indoors wherever lots of people mix together) makes more sense. I'm working my way around to thinking we need to talk that way to those who need to hear it.

The problem, @Porcelain, as I see it is that by now I think almost everybody has heard the proactive, safety ideas. If it hasn't sunk in by now, I think that maybe the only way it might is through personal experience, unfortunately.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Which it did for us.  We had an extremely low Covid problem for a long time, like 2 cases until one or more private club members felt it their right to play cards and drink unmasked and from there it spread across our small community to the point nobody feels as safe as we once felt at our local places.  What is it about stubborn men who feel entitled to the right to endanger everyone else?  Now our kids who could have been in their classrooms aren't safe there.  Because those guys had to play cards unmasked while everyone else was trying so hard to keep us all safe.  It's beyond infuriating.  But the damage is done and a couple people have died.

I still think it has to do with the last huge threat we faced with 911. Americans responded really well to that crisis. (With obvious exceptions, of course.) The way we defeated the terror of 911 was to refuse to stay home, to boldly go out in public and refuse to allow terrorists to terrorize us. Irrational fear was the enemy.

But now irrational lack of healthy fear, or at least respect for this virus is the enemy. Some are going with the 911 reaction instead, feeling brave and empowered by their refusal to change anything in their lives. It's the right response--to a completely different threat.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

To those of you who answered no to this question, I hope you at least get takeout from your local restaurants. Since restaurants have been cut back to 50% or less in some states, they are needing all the support they can get. If you are not doing that, then those restaurants may not be around by the time you decide to come out of your cubbyhole and start living your life again.

I don't think this helps the restaurant industry. Insulting potential diners is not the way to persuade anyone. I can tell you care, but this is not the way to invite anyone anywhere. I wouldn't support any establishment that wants people to talk to customers like this.

@Porcelain 

I'm not sure I understand your response. It sort sounds as if you think I work in a restaurant. I don't.  I was merely stating that restaurants are hurting. They suffered total shut down in most states and that was a huge loss of revenue for them. Now that they are back open, they are still limited on the number of customers allowed in their dining rooms. So, your comment that you "wouldn't support any establishment that wants people to talk to customers like this" makes no sense to me.

I am only pointing out the fact that if we don't offer our support to these businesses, they just might not be able to stay afloat for the duration of this pandemic. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@lmt wrote:

We haven't dined inside or outside - we just don't feel comfortable. We enjoy dining out but it isn't a necessity and it's not worth risking our health.

We have, however, gotten take out and have used drive-thrus.

I'm reading through this thread to look at all of the various answers, and this is where we're at, too.

In our area, we're finding out that some of the places that we would have considered for even take-out, have had Covid.

We've been getting carry-out and have been going to places that we're familiar with in our area.

Valued Contributor

We are not ready to dine inside a restaurant.  I will never take my facemask off in a public place.  That's just living way to dangerously for my taste.  For those who think this illness is a cakewalk, that could very well be; not curious though to find out.