Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you considered what it will be like if.....

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Funny thing is I have a tendency toward pessimism and worry but I haven't spent any time being bothered by this thought.  I am optimistic that a vaccine will be developed sooner than anticipated.  But I tell ya what I am bothered about.  People.  I have been angry and dismayed at people's attitudes in this country in general.  I never thought there were so many Ignorant and selfish people. People who don't understand science and who don't know what it is to make small sacrifices for the good of everyone. And that is what worries me about the future.  It's one thing to have understandable guidelines to follow or a vaccine.  It's another to have people's cooperation.  Without people's cooperation we are fighting a losing battle IMO.

I agree @Deree that cooperation is essential. 

But I hesitate to call people ignorant, selfish and not understanding science in this instance. The science itself isn't getting this right, and is ever changing. 

The science is attached to politics and money (always is, not just in this instance) and it's no wonder people don't believe everything they are told, question what they are told, or choose to go a different direction, when other people in the science field say just the opposite of others. There really isn't a lot of good solid proven science on this one yet, and we are being told one thing, only to have that struck down and told the opposite. Creates an environment ripe for varying opinions to rise.

@Mominohio   One thing I think we know for sure is that masks and social distancing make a huge difference in how this virus will spread.  And that is why I stand by my descriptions of "ignorant" and "selfish" for those who choose not to follow those guidelines (as confirmed by science AND in practice).  THIRTY-FIVE states!  35!  There's no excuse for that.

@Deree 

I'm not certain that we do actually 'know' that distancing and masks, as they are prescribed at this time, are making a huge difference. 

Common sense says so, but many have pointed out that the 6 foot spacing is probably not adequate. And what we are using for masks and face coverings vary in effectiveness, as well as proper wearing of them. 

I'm all in for doing those simple things in hopes it is giving us some protections, but I doubt they are really as effective as people think they are. 

I don't see how or why anyone is surprised at the spikes happening. They were bound to once states began to open up. 

It's a shame that we have resulted to name calling against those that have a difference of opinion on a subject. I can disapprove, consider their choices harmful if I believe what the powers that be are telling me today, but in reality we have a long time yet before we know the full scope of what is and isn't accurate about the handling of this viurs. 

@Mominohio  I disagree.  I believe we *do* know that face coverings of *any* kind is better than nothing at all and social distancing *as much as possible* (6' is better than 3' and 12' is better than 6') are our current best weapons against the spread of the virus.  The tragedy we are seeing in 35 states is without a doubt the result of people gathering in large crowds without heeding those guidelines.  IMO the proof is right in front of our eyes.

Coincidentally this morning on GMA they showed (as they have before) imaging of how droplets travel through the air with no mask and with different types of masks.  To me that is surefire visual proof.  I understand you disagree.

ETA:  The protests in my city over the past month involving thousands of people have not caused an increase in infection rate/hospitalization rate because a large percentage of the protesters were wearing masks.  We are fortunate they were smart enough to do so.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Funny thing is I have a tendency toward pessimism and worry but I haven't spent any time being bothered by this thought.  I am optimistic that a vaccine will be developed sooner than anticipated.  But I tell ya what I am bothered about.  People.  I have been angry and dismayed at people's attitudes in this country in general.  I never thought there were so many Ignorant and selfish people. People who don't understand science and who don't know what it is to make small sacrifices for the good of everyone. And that is what worries me about the future.  It's one thing to have understandable guidelines to follow or a vaccine.  It's another to have people's cooperation.  Without people's cooperation we are fighting a losing battle IMO.

But I hesitate to call people ignorant, selfish and not understanding science in this instance. The science itself isn't getting this right, and is ever changing. 

The science is attached to politics and money (always is, not just in this instance) and it's no wonder people don't believe everything they are told, question what they are told, or choose to go a different direction, when other people in the science field say just the opposite of others. There really isn't a lot of good solid proven science on this one yet, and we are being told one thing, only to have that struck down and told the opposite. Creates an environment ripe for varying opinions to rise.

@Mominohio   One thing I think we know for sure is that masks and social distancing make a huge difference in how this virus will spread.  And that is why I stand by my descriptions of "ignorant" and "selfish" for those who choose not to follow those guidelines (as confirmed by science AND in practice).  THIRTY-FIVE states!  35!  There's no excuse for that.

@Deree 

I'm not certain that we do actually 'know' that distancing and masks, as they are prescribed at this time, are making a huge difference. 

Common sense says so, but many have pointed out that the 6 foot spacing is probably not adequate. And what we are using for masks and face coverings vary in effectiveness, as well as proper wearing of them. 

I'm all in for doing those simple things in hopes it is giving us some protections, but I doubt they are really as effective as people think they are. 

I don't see how or why anyone is surprised at the spikes happening. They were bound to once states began to open up. 

It's a shame that we have resulted to name calling against those that have a difference of opinion on a subject. I can disapprove, consider their choices harmful if I believe what the powers that be are telling me today, but in reality we have a long time yet before we know the full scope of what is and isn't accurate about the handling of this viurs. 

@Mominohio  I disagree.  I believe we *do* know that face coverings of *any* kind is better than nothing at all and social distancing *as much as possible* (6' is better than 3' and 12' is better than 6') are our current best weapons against the spread of the virus.  The tragedy we are seeing in 35 states is without a doubt the result of people gathering in large crowds without heeding those guidelines.  IMO the proof is right in front of our eyes.

Coincidentally this morning on GMA they showed (as they have before) imaging of how droplets travel through the air with no mask and with different types of masks.  To me that is surefire visual proof.  I understand you disagree.

ETA:  The protests in my city over the past month involving thousands of people have not caused an increase in infection rate/hospitalization rate because a large percentage of the protesters were wearing masks.  We are fortunate they were smart enough to do so.

Your last statement cannot be verified and is dangerous. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Deree 

Your last statement cannot be verified and is dangerous. 

The statement is verifiable by virtue of the fact of the covid-19 incubation period and that we continue to decline in all our metrics.  But can you tell me what is "dangerous" about the statement?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I have not considered the possibility that a vaccine won't be found.  The best and brightest scientists and researchers in the world are working on it so of course they will ultimately be successful.  Several are in initial trials right now. 

The problem will be to get enough manufactured so it can be administered to millions of people.  Countries where it could be made are likely to give a priority to administering to their own citizens.  Once again, the US is a day late and a dollar short and I haven't heard anyone even mention the problem, let alone a solution 

We are currently making tons of the vaccines that are being tested so if any of them work we have a bunch ready to do. 

Also I'm not counting on any vaccing since they've never found a coronavirus vaccine that works yet.

Honored Contributor

No one knows what tomorrow may bring at anytime in life. DH and I have had our share of tragedies in life.  My mother says we have had more than our share. I don't know about that but I know.... "stuff happens".  My great solace comes from knowing who is in control of all my tomorrows and that is where I put my trust. 

Honored Contributor

If a vaccine is found,i will be getting it,just like the flu shot.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

No one knows what tomorrow may bring at anytime in life. DH and I have had our share of tragedies in life.  My mother says we have had more than our share. I don't know about that but I know.... "stuff happens".  My great solace comes from knowing who is in control of all my tomorrows and that is where I put my trust. 

Tragedies, i also know well. No human reasoning.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

No as I won't get it.  

Children seem to be mostly immune, 85% have few if any symptoms, and if the FDA will allow it, we have a cheap treatment that people from around the world say is super effective.  One of the top children's hospitals in the world says to get the kids back in school with no masks or social distancing.

My worry is that up to half of the positives are false positives, and having a common cold will likely test as a positive. 

I say this as someone whose father is in a facility with a COVID case.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’d be surprised if 50% of the population agree to get a vaccine.

I heard it's more like 30%.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have thought about it.   I also know I'm not involved in the core process for the answer or solution to this pandemic, so I just continue living my quiet lifestyle, and know I will deal with whatever happens.   

My personal goal is to continue doing what I normally do until I can't do it anymore, period.   Even with the pandemic, I still feel my life is great.   Being retired, our income is the same, I don't go out that much anyway, so nothing has really changed for me there, except wear a mask in the grocery store and when I get a pedicure.   I'm not affected by restaurant restrictions, mall restrictions, or not being able to go on vacation.  I don't feel restricted; I still see my immediate family, and we're all still looking after mom.  Actually, it's like I'm watching the rest of the world have to slow down to my speed.    

I feel quite blessed to enjoy my days right here in rural West Virginia, and my family is doing all we can to stay safe from the virus.