Honored Contributor

Have you considered what it will be like if.....

a good vaccine isn't found, or is way further off than expected for Covid? How it will effect your daily life, or those in your family?

Or if getting it manufactured in quantity enough to supply the world takes an additional year or more?

Or turns out to be like the flu vaccine is most times, and isn't really all that effective?

I'm not looking for the usual 'don't borrow trouble' or 'stop worrying about what hasn't happened, or 'stop creating panic' responses. I'm not. I'm simply bringing to the table, something that should be considered and discussed. The fact that there may not be a good vaccine, or a quick vaccine, and we may be in this thing for even longer than we have anticipated. 

If we keep using all the precautions, if places choose to keep falling back on lockdown type restrictions, fewer people will be exposed, and fewer will gain immunity. Will we simply have to go through the process of waiting until heard immunity is reached to some good extent? Will we have to maybe wait it out to see if it weakens on it's own? How long might that be?

If anyone has read anything based on these kinds of questions, and would like to share the sources, I'd be interested to know.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you considered what it will be like if.....

No, I have not considered the possibility that a vaccine won't be found.  The best and brightest scientists and researchers in the world are working on it so of course they will ultimately be successful.  Several are in initial trials right now. 

The problem will be to get enough manufactured so it can be administered to millions of people.  Countries where it could be made are likely to give a priority to administering to their own citizens.  Once again, the US is a day late and a dollar short and I haven't heard anyone even mention the problem, let alone a solution 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

No, not really. There is no point. I don’t have any eggs in that basket. 

I don’t expect a good vaccine any time soon, if ever, simply based on other vaccines. We will probably have the opportunity to try bad vaccines soon but I’m not interested in taking part in that particular experiment so I haven’t spent any time hoping for a vaccine.

We really just have to get through this. The worst is yet to come. I promise.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio  It's good to talk about these things.  All of your points I have thought about one time or another.  I am so horrified by what is happening in Ca.  I'm shocked, I'm saddened and I'm crying.  

Trusted Contributor

We are retired and this hasn't really changed alot in our daily lives. When we go out we wear a mask and gloves which is no big deal to us.

There are some things in life that are bigger than we are and this is one of those. All you can do is worry about your ourselves  and look for the best in each day.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio I think at a minimum we can expect to wear masks and social distance for the forseeable future.  For those of us with loved ones in nursing homes, we may not be able to see them for awhile.  

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot cite exact sources, but I think most scientists agree that there are many questions regarding immunity.  No one knows how much immunity can be expected, and how long immunity would last if it were present.  I believe there is great interest in finding people who have been infected more than once.  As a non-scientist, I wonder if the more severe the infection, the more immunity?

My DD, a scientist herself, tells me that there is a theory that immunity might not be able to be measured.  Rather, it’s like certain cells might sort of spring into action at the introduction of the virus into the body.

I do share your concern about living with this situation for a much longer time than we thought.  We are doing quite well where I live, after following strict measures for a long time.  We lost over 4,200 people. The thought of being reinfected by others is a sad possibility.  Wish we had followed Italy’s model.

Honored Contributor

No. IMO it's a waste of time and stress to speculate about that. There is enough to concern myself with that is really going on while a vaccine is being worked on.
Honored Contributor

I think we are in this for several years.

They already said even when they do get a vaccine only 50% of the people will take it so you would still need to wear a mask plus social distance???

Honored Contributor

i dont think there will be a surefire vaccine anytime soon.

i am generally not a worrier, especially regarding things that may happen in the future. i try to plan for the here and now. if i worried that much about the future, i would not be able to enjoy my life in the present. it keeps me happy and keeps my mind clear. there is a lot to be said for positivity and i do believe it helps keep you in a healthier state of mind.

so far, my loved ones and i have all been healthy, including my 79 year old mother. i am very thankful for that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein