Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you been visited by someone who's passed?

Yes, I was 10 years old and was visited by my grandmother right after she died.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

When my father passed (he lived in another State) i was unable to go to the funeral because i was facing health issues and couldn't physically go............a month later i was just starting a treatment and was quite scared and the  nurse left me in the exam room alone and i was laying on the table and was nervous but not thinking of my dad at the time.........when i turned my head...my dad was standing there and he was younger (like in his 30's) all tan and healthy looking and he said to me "its gonna be alright" and then suddenly he was gone....................i was really shocked and then the nurse came in and we began the treatment..........i know i saw HIM...not a ghostly thing....

But he was right in the end...things worked out for me .....

and when i feel health issues effecting me...i always seem to feel him there................

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinchYour experience reminded me of the book When God Winks at You by Squire Rushnell. 

Edit to add the correct name of book.

Trusted Contributor

My first husband died over 30 years ago in a car accident.  I was home asleep at the time of the accident but heard his voice call my name, I woke up and looked at the time on the bedside clock.  Since it was an accident, there was an autopsy and police report.  About a month or two after the accident, I received a copy of the autopsy report from the police and saw the time of death...it was the same exact time that I woke up and looked at the clock.

When I told my Mom about this years later, she mentioned that at the time of my Dad's death, she saw a white mist rise from his body.  She's convinced it was his spirit.

My second husband died a year and a half ago at home from terminal cancer.  He said he didn't want to die and leave me alone.  Oddly, I have never felt alone in the house since his death. 

One of my in-laws came to visit and she told me she sees dead people, has seen them her entire life (I was unaware of this).  She has a sibling that also sees dead people. 

She said my dead husband was in the room with us and that she saw him walking around the yard and in the house.  She said that he looked much younger, in his 20's (he died at age 69).  She said that spirits would often appear to her as a younger version of themselves, as that was how they wanted to present themselves.  Although she could see him, she couldn't hear him but he was able to communicate to her via thought.  I asked her what he looked like (solid as a person or what) and she said he looked half solid.   I was fascinated and started asking her all kinds of questions but she really doesn't like being a conduit for spirits.  It scares her and she's afraid that they will 'take over' her.  So, we stopped the communication as I could see real fear on her face.

My in-law mentioned that spirits will often communicate via dreams since most people are not conduits to spirits and can't see them.  In addition, if you feel a little cold shiver down your spine, your loved one is probably trying to let you know they are there. 

It's been over a year since she visited but she said in a recent email that my first and second husbands are both looking out for me, together.  Apparently, they found each other on the other side.  She wanted to make sure that I knew this so she must have had another communication with my late husband.   

At some point, just about every widow has thoughts of wanting to be with their dead husband instead of still alive and alone.  My late husband also said it was not my time to die yet, that I had something I needed to do first.  Sure wish I knew what that 'something' is, lol!

Regular Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@PJinIA wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@Carmie  Yes, I would be careful in what someone else thinks you should do.

Whatever you do , NEVER visit  Gettysburg, PA!   You would be inundated with all sorts of things.  There is quite a bit of paranormal acitivity associated with it.

We walked one of the battlefields on a cold November day.  It was very overcast, not many people around.  I wandered away from DH taking in the surroundings.  I glanced to my right and there, sitting on a large rock, was a blurred vision of a Civil War soldier.  I got out of there quickly. 

It shook me up so much that I will never go back.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one to have a memorable Gettysburg experience.  We stopped there way back in 1972 when I was 17 while on a high school marching band trip to march in the Cherry Blossom Festival parade.  It was a cold, cloudy day in April and the last thing on my mind on that trip was ghosts but when we got out of the bus and walked around the hair on the back of my neck stood up and the whole experience was best described as eerie but t didn't actually see anything. There is some serious energy happening there. I've never felt like that anywhere else EVER but I would love to go back but only in the daylight!

@PJinIA   I am not surprised that you felt as you did there.  The "vibe" is incredibly unsettling.

When you think of all of the men that died so violently there it is frightening....so much negative energy.  It left me so rattled that I never want to return.

There have been a number of shows on TV about the Gettysburg experience as it relates to paranormal activity.  They have all sorts of events and tours there during October for Halloween.

The little town of Gettysburg is quaint and interesting but I will not be back any time soon.

You have piqued my interest in the paranormal activity at Gettysburg.  I was always interested in the Civil War in school so I'd find any programs on this subject fascinating. Thanks!!  

Honored Contributor

No, but I'd love to hear from some of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

No, but some of these stories are both fascinating and heartbreaking.

While I hope to see my loved ones again some day, I don't wish to be visited by anyone who've passed.  

Dreaming of my loved ones that are gone ,and even just the memories I have of them are enough for me.

Someone I know goes to a medium and says she speaks to her grandfather.  I don't even know that she was particularly close to her grandfather, but that's who she *talks to*.  She was a child when her grandfather passed.

Her grandmother passed within the past 5 years and even though she was up there in years, I told this person that I'd pray for her grandmother that she'd pull through (she was in the hospital) and this person said 'NO!  She needs to let go!'

It really jarred me that she responded with that and always wanted to ask her if her grandfather *said anything* about her feeling that way.  (It was his wife.)  She was a sweet woman, through and through.  It just seemed like a harsh thing to say especially about this really sweet woman.

I guess I just have a problem with people saying that (they need to let go) and I've heard it before several times. 

My feeling is, is someone is on their deathbed, do they really need to hear that?  Like it's something they can control?  

@Lucky Charm 

Funny you should mention that.  I had the same experience many years ago.  My grandfather was on his deathbed and was holding my hand.  I was his first grandchild, the only girl, and thus his favorite. We were very close.

My aunt, who was his DIL, said to me, "Stop holding his hand - he's holding on to you.  Let him go!"  My mother was not happy, but that was pretty typical for that aunt.  She also couldn't wait to get into the house and take what she wanted.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@Carmie  Yes, I would be careful in what someone else thinks you should do.

Whatever you do , NEVER visit  Gettysburg, PA!   You would be inundated with all sorts of things.  There is quite a bit of paranormal acitivity associated with it.

We walked one of the battlefields on a cold November day.  It was very overcast, not many people around.  I wandered away from DH taking in the surroundings.  I glanced to my right and there, sitting on a large rock, was a blurred vision of a Civil War soldier.  I got out of there quickly. 

It shook me up so much that I will never go back.

I actually live in PA, about 30 minutes from Gettysburg.  My friend has stayed in B&B's there just to see if she can communicate with spirits.  She has told me about the orbs she saw floating in her room. 

My daughter and granddaughter  do civil war reenactment. They has slept in a canvas tent many times in a Gettysburg. It's not my thing.

I often wonder if the soldiers we see on the battlefields are real spirits or energy from past lives.  There is a difference. Energy cannot be destroyed, but it can change states.

I have read a lot of material about human spirits, ghosts, angels, dark entities and such. It is interesting.

Added:  I got a heavy energy feeling when I have visited Peal Harbor.  I have been there three times.  What is noticeable is that no matter how many people are visiting here and no matter where they are from ( many are from Japan) you could almost hear a pin drop.

Everyone speaks in whispers and no one has to tell them to.  I have never seen spirits there, but the energy is overpowering.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, many times.  I've come to distinguish between just dreams, and actual visitations.  The intensity, certain distinguishing factors, and a feeling of a jolt or shock when I wake up from it.  

When I'm awake but drifting off, I've seen my mother and brother.  Sometimes I smell my aunt's perfume, or smell my brother's cigarette.  Not too long ago I was recovering from surgery and resting on the couch.  I heard the door open and assumed it was DH coming home, but then I saw my brother wearing a jacket he always wore.  He was filmy and I only saw him from the waist up.  I said "you shouldn't be here" and he disappeared.

I was laying in bed half awake at night when the pandemic first hit.  I was so consumed with fear and depression.  Suddenly I felt a gentle hand patting my cheek.  I wasn't scared in the least.  I medium told me that if you are not scared, it is a beloved one  that you hear / smell / feel.

Esteemed Contributor

Happened many times to me.  And all throughout my life I have had strange occurances.