Honored Contributor

Re: Have you been visited by someone who's passed?

@Kalli Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thanks to everyone who shared their stories.

Not long after my Mom died, I had an experience in which I could have sworn she was calling me. She used to stand at the bottom of the stairs sometimes and call up to me if I was upstairs.

I went to the top of the stairs and it was as if she was there. Could see her with her walker, wearing her pj's. Then I went to bed and cried, because she wasn't really there.

At the time I thought it all happened just because I wanted her to be here so badly, I still do.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

I was visited by my cat.  She used to sleep in the crook of my knees in bed.  One night after she died, I went to bed and felt her walk across my legs and curl up behind my knees.  I had just laid down and wasn't asleep.

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Only in dreams. Otherwise, no. I do believe that when a person dies, it is the end of the road.

I agree and so does science 

Respected Contributor

@Kalli   I could have written the same post about my Mom.  She lived to be 96 1/2 years old, and the dementia seemed to settle in around the age of 90.  There were minor signs before that, but I always sort of excused them away, or reasoned them away.  We were always the best of friends, she supported me like no other, and she was my rock.  I feel she lived so long because she couldn't abandon me in what I was doing thru w/health issues.  But eventually, her body just couldn't continue.

But anyway, after her passing I was looking out the bedroom window and I saw this raccoon just moseying along the side of the yard.  In all the years I lived there I saw a raccoon maybe once before, but there was something about the way it was taking its time walking the length of the yard beside the fence.  Then the next time I looked out the window I saw a strange cat I'd never seen before.  Sitting in the backyard.  The next time I looked out I saw a family of deer.  I thought to myself, "what is it w/all these animals?"

While driving to her funeral service w/my brother, a deer leapt out in front of his car, it was a good distance away, and we watched it safely cross the road.  As the servicemen were playing Taps at her service, all of a sudden, 3 birds that were in the tree next to where she wanted her ashes placed, flew one by one in front of the window where her service was.  One bird for my brother, one bird for my father, one bird for my Mom who had now all passed on.

There have been other signs and visits as well, too numerous to mention here.  Our bodies grow old but our spirits remain.  I have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Contributor

I was very, very close to my mother-in-law. I often  sought her advice . A year after she died we were contemplating buying a 2nd home, a beach house. It was a financial risk for us. I was very anxious we would make a wrong decision. I sat on the beach on a very beautiful day ,with sun shining and ocean glistening. I closed my eyes and whispered to my mother - in- law, if you think this is a good decision , please send me a sign or some how let me know.

Moments later I opened my eyes, and there was a double rainbow, horizon to horizon over the water. It had not been raining. I was sure the message came straight from her. We bought the house with no further anxiety,  and have enjoyed it for 34 years now.  

Honored Contributor

No, but some of these stories are both fascinating and heartbreaking.

While I hope to see my loved ones again some day, I don't wish to be visited by anyone who've passed.  

Dreaming of my loved ones that are gone ,and even just the memories I have of them are enough for me.

Someone I know goes to a medium and says she speaks to her grandfather.  I don't even know that she was particularly close to her grandfather, but that's who she *talks to*.  She was a child when her grandfather passed.

Her grandmother passed within the past 5 years and even though she was up there in years, I told this person that I'd pray for her grandmother that she'd pull through (she was in the hospital) and this person said 'NO!  She needs to let go!'

It really jarred me that she responded with that and always wanted to ask her if her grandfather *said anything* about her feeling that way.  (It was his wife.)  She was a sweet woman, through and through.  It just seemed like a harsh thing to say especially about this really sweet woman.

I guess I just have a problem with people saying that (they need to let go) and I've heard it before several times. 

My feeling is, is someone is on their deathbed, do they really need to hear that?  Like it's something they can control?  

Trusted Contributor

About 6 months after my son passed away, I was sound asleep and suddenly woke up. I thought maybe a noise had made me wake up, but, all was silent. I noticed, though, that there was a light in the hallway. I had not left any lights on, so, I got up to see about it. The light was coming from a computer screen in what had been my son's room. The computer was his and had not been turned on since he died. The screen saver he had put on that computer was of a funny little fellow being chased by a dog. It was scrolling across the screen. It was such a bizarre feeling that came over me. There is no logical explanation, but, I know in my heart that this was my son's way of letting me know that he was there. It only happened the one time, but, I will never forget it.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Regular Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

No, but some of these stories are both fascinating and heartbreaking.

While I hope to see my loved ones again some day, I don't wish to be visited by anyone who've passed.  

Dreaming of my loved ones that are gone ,and even just the memories I have of them are enough for me.

Someone I know goes to a medium and says she speaks to her grandfather.  I don't even know that she was particularly close to her grandfather, but that's who she *talks to*.  She was a child when her grandfather passed.

Her grandmother passed within the past 5 years and even though she was up there in years, I told this person that I'd pray for her grandmother that she'd pull through (she was in the hospital) and this person said 'NO!  She needs to let go!'

It really jarred me that she responded with that and always wanted to ask her if her grandfather *said anything* about her feeling that way.  (It was his wife.)  She was a sweet woman, through and through.  It just seemed like a harsh thing to say especially about this really sweet woman.

I guess I just have a problem with people saying that (they need to let go) and I've heard it before several times. 

My feeling is, is someone is on their deathbed, do they really need to hear that?  Like it's something they can control?  

I do believe our loved ones will "hang on" for us and the kind thing to do is tell them we will be ok, let go!  My mother suffered a stroke many years ago and was never the same, speech impairment and loss of the use of her right arm.  Over the years she suffered more strokes & seizures and lost her hearing.  My dad passed in April 2017 and she was left alone in assisted living.  She continued to decline and after almost a year of being separated from her family due to Covid she suffered a fall on December 18th, 2020.  She broke her hip, her shoulder and wrist.  She never recovered and was literally a prisoner in her own body.  On January 22nd at the age of 88 she was suffering terribly...my sister and I begged her to LET GO!  Please MOM JUST LET GO...we'll be ok.  You need to go be with Dad.  She passed 2 hours later.  She loved to dance but hadn't been able to for quite awhile.  She is now dancing in heaven with my dad!  

Sometimes you just have to believe that there is more to this life than we can see or touch.  Even if it's all delusion or denial, if it helps one through the grieving process what does it hurt?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli - Thank you for your story and for starting this post. I've enjoyed reading the stories.

I have dreams about my mom all of the time, and although I am an adult, she is the mommy I remember as a young girl. 

But the one story I will share is one I rarely talk about. My only sibling died when he had just turned 28. It was a shock. 

It was a few months before our second baby was coming. I had already lost one baby - DD's fraternal  twin, but that was at 16 weeks. DD was born after my brother died. Now we were looking forward to a son who would be named after my brother. I had some complications, they told DH I had a UTI, and sent him home. They did an ultrasound and called him back. I saw the screen before they turned it. Somehow a bacterial infection had gone right through my body. He was gone and I was in bad shape. They took me to OB and I was in labor all day. I wanted a C-section, but for some reason they wouldn't do it. I had a private room and a nurse with me all day. I was so out of it. When they finally took me in, I remember being in a haze. They put me on oxygen and I closed my eyes. I "saw" my brother standing, as he looked as an adult, in a white gown. He wasn't smiling and he ALWAYS smiled. He was always the life of the party! I remember the anesthesiologist saying, "C'mon sweetheart, c'mon back." My brother was gone. I "saw" DD running to me in a field. Then I opened my eyes and they let me hold him for a minute. 

I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and in bed for another 3. The day I got up and dressed we had his memorial service. 

I talked to my mom the day after I delivered him and told her all of our friends were helping with DD and I would be fine. She could come visit after I got out of the hospital (we didn't think it would be long at that point). DH got a call that night telling him to pick her up at the airport the next day! She handled everything- thank goodness! 

Sorry I was so long and so personal. The older I get, I find it easier to share. Some will say I was hallucinating-but I know my brother visited me, and I know why. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's interesting to read that so many people have had these type of experiences. Most of mine have been with my father and grandmother; two of the closest people to me. Shortly after my grandmothers death, she appeared at the foot of my bed causing me to bolt upright in awe. She was a young woman instead of the woman in her late 80's I knew. She told me she would still be with me for awhile and disappeared. I was speechless and stunned. My father passed when I was 16. I had one conversation about 2-3 years later with him that occurred in a dream. My father was an alcoholic. I had starting drinking a lot back then. I received a phone call from him while I was sleeping and got a very stern warning about too much drinking. In my 40's I was very ill from one of the worst migraine attacks I have ever had. I wasn't asleep, but was laying in bed on my stomach, pumped full of drugs in all my misery. I became aware of a presence in my room but was too ill to get up. I knew it was my father, and even asked if it was him. I felt a warm electric sensation from the base of my skull run down my spine. I fell asleep, and woke up headache free.

Throughout the years there have been many times that I'm aware of someone around or behind me; many are times of stress. There have also been several times I have lost items only to weeks later find them 'pushed' into an obvious place in the middle of the floor!

Most recently, something caused me to wake up in the middle of the night and roll over in bed to look out my bedroom door. There stood a very tall large man. He looked at me, said "Hummpfft", turned around and walked out. I though, who is that! I suspect it was the prior owner of my condo that may have just passed and came back to his old home. I tried to research him but couldn't find much. I know he was in his early 90's but couldn't find a picture or anyone to describe him.