Trusted Contributor

Have you Ever Lived by Yourself? Did you Adjust Well?

I'm moving out on my own August 1. Part of me is soooooooooooooo excited since this is what I've always wanted. I went from living with my parents and 4 younger sisters until I was 27, 2 of my younger sisters, one of my younger sister's and a roommate, and to living with only one younger sister, no roommate. 

I look forward to not having to answer to anyone and and doing things on my own terms. Is there something I haven't considered since I'm so focused on the positives? If you evern lived on your own, did you find it lonely at times? Looking forward to all your replies!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you Ever Lived by Yourself? Did you Adjust Well?

I have been on my own or married since I was 15. 

You will love having your very own place. You gotta learn to enjoy your own company.

Valued Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I'm moving out on my own August 1. Part of me is soooooooooooooo excited since this is what I've always wanted. I went from living with my parents and 4 younger sisters until I was 27, 2 of my younger sisters, one of my younger sister's and a roommate, and to living with only one younger sister, no roommate. 

I look forward to not having to answer to anyone and and doing things on my own terms. Is there something I haven't considered since I'm so focused on the positives? If you evern lived on your own, did you find it lonely at times? Looking forward to all your replies!

@JBKO

I enjoy living by myself.  It is nice to have the freedom to do what I want to, eat what and when I choose to.....I surround myself with good books to read, and am never lonely. I decorate to my own taste - not any roommate or hubby.  When I got divorced, I kept singing, "Free at last!  Free at last!  Thank God - I am free at last." You are never alone, if you have a computer.

I think you will definitely enjoy living by yourself. Please check in with us, and let us know how you are doing......I felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off my shoulders when I made the decision to live by myself.  You can always get a pet, who will give you love and affection.....and won't criticize you if you have a bad hair day.  Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

Congrats, now you call all the SHOTS.  You can have company when you want, get a cat, rabbit, walk around in pajamas with no bra, talk on the phone SUPER LOUD, and have as much company as you want cause they DON"T HAVE TO LEAVE...it's YOUR PLACE.

ENJOY

I never lived on my own, I moved from home to with hubby but he worked on the night crew for YEARS so that was like living alone for a few hours each day. Every night I came home to eat cereal, I didn't have to cook dinner for anyone, hair looking crazy.

So enjoy yourself.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO, congratulations!  You will love living on your own.  You do need to take precautions that you might not have in the past; such as, always lock your doors and windows, be aware of your parking area, be friendly with your neighbors but judge wisely, just be aware.  Since you have a large family, make sure that you check in either with  them or a friend on a daily basis, just so that you have someone else looking out for you.  Enjoy yourself as you can do whatever you want at any time that you want.

A few suggestions:  watch your money.  Cook for yourself and make those meals worthy of you.  Decorate with investment furniture (I don't mean antiques unless you like them).  Get to know shopkeepers near you.  Keep your car in good running condition.

I have been on my own or married since I was 17.  Right now, DH works out of state during the week and I am home by myself with just the pets.  I like things quiet, so I don't find myself getting lonely; but, I have lots of interests if I need people interaction.  However, since you are used to having so many people around, you might like quiet at first but get bored with it after a time.  Now is the time to develop more personal interests and meet some new friends.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lived on my own from just out of high school  ages 17 through to age 23.....  at age 23 meeting and marriying my now Husband of 40 years.  

Those years between 17 and 23 I lived alone, working many different jobs( sometimes I had 3 partime jobs all at once!) traveling to and living in many different cities...had my own apartments....I liked living alone. The good thing about having time alone is that you learn how to take care of yourself.  I know that in the future if I am alone again  I will be just fine. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I lived on my own for several years before I married. 

I had my own home and loved it. I enjoyed making  decisions for myself without considering anyone else. This time was of real value to me and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It helped me to see how strong I was and how capable.

Honored Contributor

IT'S WONDERFUL AT FIRST.  You will have moments, but turn on the TV or your fav. music.  It takes baby steps after the adult steps to get to where you are going.

Life alone is scary and energizing at the same time.  You will learn who you are and where you want to be.

My DD said the best thing she ever did was living on her own, because she had to do it and learn from it.  I smiled and agreed.  It's a path to a new life.  You make it work for you. 

Best of Luck and be patient.  It's new and scary, but you will grow from it.  Another of lifes lessons that you need to learn from. Heart

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

YES!!  I lived on my own until I got married when I was 34.  Loved it!  My sister had said to me that there would be times I would be lonely.  Never happened.  If you want to be with people -- you can.  Totally up to you.  You come and go and do as you please.   I have now been married for 30 years.  My husband totally understands my need for alone time.  It is time I have always valued and would find it very difficult -- actually impossible -- to be married to somebody who didn't get it.  While we are retired and together practically 24/7 -- we have separate interests and are very comfortable being in the house just doing our own things.  Wishing you the best!! 

Honored Contributor

Yes ... since 1992 when I moved into my apartment in Manhattan.  Really no adjustment that I can recall.  I really enjoy my own company.

After DH died - I lived with an aunt for a while before I moved here.